UK's Johnson planning summer 2020 election: Times

snoop1130

UK's Johnson planning summer 2020 election: Times

gfjgy.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Boris Johnson, a leadership candidate for Britain's Conservative Party, attends a hustings event in Colchester, Britain July 13, 2019. REUTERS/Peter Nicholls/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Boris Johnson’s team wants to hold a national election in the summer of 2020 and has started raising funds to hire more staff and prepare the Conservative Party for the contest, the Times newspaper reported on Wednesday.

The former mayor of London is the clear frontrunner to replace Theresa May and become British prime minister when the result of the leadership contest with Jeremy Hunt is announced next Tuesday.

Johnson has said it would be “absolute folly” to hold an election before he has taken the country out of the European Union and the Times said his team was planning to pump more money into the party’s headquarters to put it on to an “election footing” for 2020.

Britain is due to leave the bloc on Oct. 31.

“There’s a desire to get this done while (opposition leader Jeremy) Corbyn is still around,” the newspaper quoted one senior member of the team as saying. “Labour is utterly divided — Brexit is killing them. Labour is in no fit state to fight a general election.”

Britain’s next election is due in 2022 and both contenders for the leadership have said publicly they do not plan to hold a national vote before then.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-07-17

10 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So in the near aftermath of a no deal Brexit and the damage that would do to the economy, Johnson plans an election.

The only way he can get reelected is if he can get the election over before the real fallout from Brexit hits the economy. If he keeps his promise and gets the UK out by end of November, I think there will be an election called by end of January latest.

28 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Who will be the PM candidates for that 2020 election.

Please don't tell me BJ thinks he has a chance. 555 

Most people and the polls I would suggest think that Boris has more chance than Corbyn, that is the mess that once was Labour.

13 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So in the near aftermath of a no deal Brexit and the damage that would do to the economy, Johnson plans an election.

Are you surprised? Next you'll be thinking that Johnson and his cronies have the country's best interests at heart ????

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’d be reluctant to call him a Brexiteer, he was pro-Europe until he saw which way the wind was blowing.

Boriseer, deceives him better.

He wasn't actually. He voted against joining the common market and has been a Euro septic and critic all his career. He initially insisted Labor would take the UK out of the EU following the Tory referendum and campaigned in May's snap election on that platform. He had to face the Unions who are powerful within the Labor party and who support remain. He's a two-faced hypocrite but make no mistake, he hates the EU.

14 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Your reading skills have improved.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Johnson has said it would be “absolute folly” to hold an election before he has taken the country out of the European Union and the Times said his team was planning to pump more money into the party’s headquarters to put it on to an “election footing” for 2020.

Britain is due to leave the bloc on Oct. 31.

Any of you Brexiteers actually put your money where your mouth is an put a sizable wager on the UK leaving on or before Oct 31st 2019???

or even before the end of 2020???

The only reason Borris would be going to the country next year is because he has failed to deliver...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/embed/p07h4v57/49021081

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

He wasn't actually. He voted against joining the common market and has been a Euro septic and critic all his career. He initially insisted Labor would take the UK out of the EU following the Tory referendum and campaigned in May's snap election on that platform. He had to face the Unions who are powerful within the Labor party and who support remain. He's a two-faced hypocrite but make no mistake, he hates the EU.

We joined the common market in 1973, that would have made Boris Johnson 9 years old at the time!

He was in journalism in the 1990s and did not become an MP until 2001 for Henley.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Boris Johnson’s team wants to hold a national election in the summer of 2020 and has started raising funds to hire more staff and prepare the Conservative Party for the contest, the Times newspaper reported on Wednesday.

More groundless speculation from the media.  But let's say it is true and Johnson is planning that.  Well he wouldn't even contemplate doing that if he takes us out of the EU with no deal.  Even those who believe that in the long run Britain would be better off out of the EU, concede that there would be a period of hardship initially.  So Johnson would be planning for a deal and a soft Brexit to limit any disruption.  Who in their right mind would call an election otherwise?

Of course Johnson's team sees that Labour are in deep trouble with their pathetic leader but it is very likely that Corbin will be kicked out by the summer of 2020 and then with someone else at the helm it could be a very different proposition.  Therefore I call bullsh*t on the Times article and in fact all the media hype that is flying around at the moment.

Nobody knows what will happen or which way Johnson will jump until it happens.  That probably includes Johnson himself.  In fact I think Hunt would be more consistent with his pledges and for that reason I hope Johnson wins.

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

More cobblers. He didn't have a vote when we joined the Common Market.

44 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Any of you Brexiteers actually put your money where your mouth is an put a sizable wager on the UK leaving on or before Oct 31st 2019???

or even before the end of 2020???

The only reason Borris would be going to the country next year is because he has failed to deliver...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/embed/p07h4v57/49021081

I think you mean where your mouth is. No thanks.

56 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

We joined the common market in 1973, that would have made Boris Johnson 9 years old at the time!

He was in journalism in the 1990s and did not become an MP until 2001 for Henley.

I think the original post was meant to describe Corbyn, not Boris. Case of mistaken identity?

2 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

britons sporting the brexit are those who have never traveled beyond the english channel

Oh I don't know about that.  There seems to be a few ex-pats in Thailand who are keen Brexiteers too.  And of course there are all the Brit's who head off to the Costa somewhere in Spain  every year when they head straight for the "English" pub or fish and chip shop ????  But it's easy to mock and I know some Brexiteers in the UK that are actually well travelled and well educated.  Misguided certainly, but not idiots by a long stretch.

Archived