Thinking about making the move!

cheers everyone

To reiterate i don't have intentions of being there for 5 years.... at least 1 year could be 2 it all depends i might end up marrying ladyboy who knows! i was jus curious moreso on the visa implications more than anything else

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Well, that sounds different.

If you want to stay for a year an METV Visa  gives you 9 months, ED Visa can give you a year or so...

thats what i am thinking...the METV visa seems like the viable option. If once the METV expires and i wish to remain would i have to fly back to the UK and organise another visa? i just see it as being a bit suspect have multiple visas more or less sequential to each other in ones passport...

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

a lot of people will be along in a few minutes to tell you not to come. "Its so over. you are too late. they hate us. impossible. you will be killed."

You forgot..... "The Sky is Falling!"

7 hours ago, Martyp said:

Technically you cannot work here as a digital nomad. You need a work permit. Come as a tourist and act like a tourist but long term stay is not for you on tourist visas. Good luck.

Not true if you work under the umbrella of a BOI registered tech company. 

Has a cost of course, as does being legal and paying tax anywhere. 

17 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

there is no easy way stay unless you get married to a local girl which will be extremely easy as soon as you walk into a brothel (aka bars in Thailand). 

Elite 5 year

Elite Lifetime

BOI registered Umbrella company
METVs and part year travelling 

Legit Language study 

Legit further education

No its not as easy as the old days of putting 1000b in your passport and having a new stamp put in there without doing anything, but its not like theres no way either. 

• Like 1

Do not buy Elite visa for 5 or 20 years, if you are not sure whether you really want to live here long-term. Holidays are not enough to make that decision.

To stay flexible stay here 60 days (visa exempt + 30 day extension), then do a 1y ED visa - with no history in Thailand this should be hassle-free.

This way, you do not have the long commitment as with Elite visa and have time to think.

Working from home - no problem. Everybody does it, just do not talk about it. In the current Immigration climate I would not go and work in coffee shops, co-working spaces etc. - it sounds like asking for trouble to me.

• Like 1

If you really want to do this, better make it as above board as possible.

Try to find one of those co-working spaces that can get you a work permit.

However, even these are not bullet-proof options.

The only truly legal way for you to stay here is with a work permit and extension of stay, based on work.
Or marry somebody (a foreigner) who is already (legally) working here and you can be their dependent (Non-O).

Other than that, it's TR visas and we all know how that can play out.

Edited by varun
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, pt1001 said:

lso with regards to property what would a letting agent or home owner look for in regards to documentation (visa? proof of earnings? work contracts, bank statements etc?) And could any one direct me to a good website where i can view property for rent?

To rent a place here you just need 2-3 months rent.

None of that UK rubbish about documents and guarantees. 

But as a young chap, I'd go to the Philippines who don't really care about VISA or what you're doing.

As long as you don't call attention to yourself, you can fly in and stay 3 years as a 'tourist' before leaving.

Same renting there, you just need the money.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, pt1001 said:

ahah never a truer word said! i have had nothing but amazing and warm hospitality in Thai. Hence the reason i choose to move there!

but you never lived here, only vacationing correct? wait until you get here and stay for a longer period and you see what's been hiding, hope you not be harassed by IMO and their agents, hope they don't tell you if not happy go back to your country and many more of such type, but better coem and check by yourself.... good luck or buena suerte or buona fortuna

• Like 1

I have been in Thailand a few years now, and I am going back to Spain.

I am older than you though.

Novelty well and truly worn off now.

Best thing for you is to split your time between Thailand and Spain.

Fly with Norwegian, good deal, and Premium Economy allows you to bring 40kg.

The only way you can get a 90 day tourist Visa is to go to Madrid or London.

My advice would be to nip over to London, get your 90 day Visa there on your way out here.

Then fly with Norwegian to Bkk via Olso or Copenhagen.

I am staying in Hua Hin.

You have everything you need here, for a bloke of your age.

Its a nice town, but has all the extra attractions you need.

If you stay where I stay for 3 months or more, can pay only 4,500 baht a month including 200Mbps fiber optic internet.

If you need any advice or pointers, send me a message on here.

My home is in Miraflores, Mijas Costa.

Good luck with it, you will have fun, but dont live here, it will spoil the fun.

Enjoy for a few months at a time, then you will enjoy.

Just now, nickmondo said:

I have been in Thailand a few years now, and I am going back to Spain.

I am older than you though.

Novelty well and truly worn off now.

Best thing for you is to split your time between Thailand and Spain.

Fly with Norwegian, good deal, and Premium Economy allows you to bring 40kg.

The only way you can get a 90 day tourist Visa is to go to Madrid or London.

My advice would be to nip over to London, get your 90 day Visa there on your way out here.

Then fly with Norwegian to Bkk via Olso or Copenhagen.

I am staying in Hua Hin.

You have everything you need here, for a bloke of your age.

Its a nice town, but has all the extra attractions you need.

If you stay where I stay for 3 months or more, can pay only 4,500 baht a month including 200Mbps fiber optic internet.

If you need any advice or pointers, send me a message on here.

My home is in Miraflores, Mijas Costa.

Good luck with it, you will have fun, but dont live here, it will spoil the fun.

Enjoy for a few months at a time, then you will enjoy.

Hey buddy! yeah i live just up the road in Alhaurin El Grande. And i ususally fly with norwegian from AGP to Either Stockholm, Oslo or Copenhagen out to BKK on their 787 dreamliner. I think realistically i would probably want to base myself in S.E asia  and return to the uk to see family and friends and just leave Spain alone for a while. So maybe doing 6mths of the year in Thai and then the rest of the year in other places, might make sense. 

17 hours ago, pt1001 said:

Well thats the plan really i dont have intentions of telling people i work i just want to come here as a "permanent tourist" i dont care what loopholes i need to jump through to do it...aslong as i dont get busted... managed 5 years in spain under the radar but i need to know the ins and outs.... (i am genuinely an upstanding member of society) hahaha and  i know the risks of thai roads iv almost been knocked down about 20 times in my last 10 visits...but my Hilux avoidance ninja EXP has gone up exponentially 

"Permanent tourist" option is, as others have wisely mentioned, an "Elite Visa", either 5-year for 500k baht, or best buy with 20-years for 1 million baht.

Officially you live from your foreign savings, and do your digital nomad job under the radar.

As you have already been so many times to LoS, you know what it's like, so 5-year or 20-year are your best options. If you can't afford that, wait with a move, until you can afford it; i.e. 500k baht is about 15k euro, not a fortrune in Europe.

Forget visa-run method, that time is past, and you might face unexpected troubles. Also consider the costs for visa-runs compared to a problem free stay for 100k baht, or the half, a year.

Rent short-term accommodation in the beginning, until you are sure of the area you wish to settle in. Perhaps you during your previous visits have been enough around different places, so you already know, then rent something short-term temporary while looking locally for a long-term lease. Sometimes the best offers are not online, but by local knowledge; furthermore, you cannot judge the area well enough online for a long-term agreement.

You can easily open a bank account with an "Elite Visa", but some banks might let you open an account with passport, and a letter – from your embassy or a local immigration office – stating a permanent address. You anyway need an address, if intend to drive a vehicle in Thailand, as you must have a Thai Drivers Licens when staying longer then 3 month. Use you Thai bank account only for foreign transfer of private funds to live from, keep all business transactions abroad in an off-shore account; i.e. you live of your foreign savings.

It's important that you have some level of money, and a steady income, before you make a move to Los; it's really bad to run out of funds here. Consider also health insurance, and/or a lump sum for emergency situations. The amounts in question are of course a question of life-style, but the government figurs with minimum 40k baht a month, and 440k baht for health – expect government/public hospitals only for that level of funds – are a good minimum guidance. A foreigner can hardly live an acceptable life for less, and you can easily spend (much) more. If are not yet in a secure financial situation like that, wait.

I believe numerous others have done the same – i.e. Elite-method – and have a happy, and problem-free, life in LoS...????

1 hour ago, Geck0 said:

I stayed at studio with old AC unit. Monthly bill was 5k+, unit prx 7thb

I have old air-con at my house (7 years old), electric bill is 1,500bht for the month.

Acclimatise, and just use it afternoons and when you go to bed is the answer.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I have old air-con at my house (7 years old), electric bill is 1,500bht for the month.

Acclimatise, and just use it afternoons and when you go to bed is the answer.

I rarely use AC here in spain, some days it can get to over 40 degrees. I just use the fan and sweat a little but at bed time i do have the ac on for 30 mins or so

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pt1001 said:

I rarely use AC here in spain, some days it can get to over 40 degrees. I just use the fan and sweat a little but at bed time i do have the ac on for 30 mins or so

It's generally 35c or more every afternoon year round here.

60-80% humidity too.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1