Configuring ASUS RT-AC88U with AIS Fiber

I have AIS fiber at home and the connection is delivered via two components.

One small white box which I assume is the modem. The fiber uplink plugs into this one.

A second box which is the Wi-Fi router.

The modem and the router are linked using a lan cable with RJ45 connectors. The cable plugs into the WAN ports of the router.

I'm trying to replace this default router (came with the connection) with a better one from ASUS.

When I unplug the uplink cable from the default router and plug it into the WAN port of the Asus box, i get an error message that the "ISP's DHCP is not functioning properly."

Has anyone else successfully executed a similar configuration? Any suggestions for me?

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The white box is a converter. It is a very simple device.

If you look in the setup pages of the AIS router you will probably find that there is a PPPoE connection set up with a login and password. The AIS router may use some other method of logging in rather than PPPoE but either way you would need to set up a similar connection in the Asus router in order for it to work.

9 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The white box is a converter. It is a very simple device.

If you look in the setup pages of the AIS router you will probably find that there is a PPPoE connection set up with a login and password. The AIS router may use some other method of logging in rather than PPPoE but either way you would need to set up a similar connection in the Asus router in order for it to work.

AIS don't share ppoe login and password. Their router is custom made and it doesn't ask login, it retrieves it automatically. AIS is the hardest ISP in terms of using your own modem.

3BB is pretty easy for example. I use 3bb with Asus AC-86u for some time.

You need to contact AIS and request they switch their router/modem to "bridge" mode and then supply you the PPPoE details (username and password) which you then input into the AC88U.

While you are at it, you may want to flash your Asus AC88U with merlin firmware. Message me and I'll walk u thru it., reeeel simple to do.

On 7/18/2019 at 4:34 PM, muratremix said:

AIS don't share ppoe login and password. Their router is custom made and it doesn't ask login, it retrieves it automatically. AIS is the hardest ISP in terms of using your own modem.

3BB is pretty easy for example. I use 3bb with Asus AC-86u for some time.

That's tricky of them. Normally even with those auto-configured systems it is possible to use PPPoE assuming that they will tell you what the codes are.

The User ID and password should be your internet number. The number probably starts with 88. Let the Asus router do an Automatic WAN setup where you will need to enter your User ID and password.

That's how it worked with my AIS setup after they set their router to bridge mode...a router that was a combo modem and router...fiber cable went directly to the router...not to separate units like the OP has.

Then a cable from the AIS router to my Asus 86U router.

The OP may be able to connect directly from the converter to his router...just leave out the AIS router.

On 7/20/2019 at 8:33 AM, Pib said:

The User ID and password should be your internet number. The number probably starts with 88. Let the Asus router do an Automatic WAN setup where you will need to enter your User ID and password.

That's how it worked with my AIS setup after they set their router to bridge mode...a router that was a combo modem and router...fiber cable went directly to the router...not to separate units like the OP has.

Then a cable from the AIS router to my Asus 86U router.

The OP may be able to connect directly from the converter to his router...just leave out the AIS router.

I tried this and it doesn't work. I have separate GPON and huaweii router. I tried my own linksys router and it can't connect via ppoe.

Archived