Yangon - DMK - Krabi. 2 or 4 hour layover in DMK?

alt

Hi all,

On either Dec 22 / 23, we'll be doing the above flight.

I realise we have to go through immigration in DMK, and it can be a nightmare (Have done it in Swampy multiple times)

Our options are:

Thai Lion (both flights - 1 booking) - 4 hour layover DMK

AirAsia (both flights - 1 booking) - 2 hour layover DMK

I take it i'm much better off going with the 4 hour lay-over?

I see that ThaiLion is a Point-To-Point, so I have to book separate flights (not an issue, 4 hour layover will still allow enough time)

AirAsia are allowing me book on 1 booking, on their website I can put Yangon to Krabi in no problem, with exactly a 2 hour layover.

I suspect we'll be stressed out regardless on the AirAsia, think we'll play it safe and go with ThaiLion

But you don't have to go through the regular immigration at DMK as you are in transit. I have done this before Yangon - DMK - Phuket. It's a breeze as there are very few people going through the transit immigration desks. The reason I try and allow a couple of hours is to allow for possible flight delays not immigration delays. Of course your choice of airlines depends whether you have baggage that you need to get sent straight through from Yangon to Krabi.

On 7/18/2019 at 4:56 AM, Phuketshrew said:

But you don't have to go through the regular immigration at DMK as you are in transit. I have done this before Yangon - DMK - Phuket. It's a breeze as there are very few people going through the transit immigration desks. The reason I try and allow a couple of hours is to allow for possible flight delays not immigration delays. Of course your choice of airlines depends whether you have baggage that you need to get sent straight through from Yangon to Krabi.

Ah, excellent, thanks!

I'm going to chance the AirAsia flight with 2 hour layover. If I do miss the connecting flight, it'll be up to AirAsia to get me to Krabi (another flight that night) as it's all 1 booking.

19 minutes ago, alt said:

...it'll be up to AirAsia to get me to Krabi (another flight that night) as it's all 1 booking.

Very important point about the value of single bookings.  If I've got seperate bookings I'll go as far as scheduling a day between flights depending on how important making the final flight is.

• 2 weeks later...

You legend! It's costing 400US for 2 (before we choose seats) vs approx 200 US for 2, but totally worth it for the direct flight, no worries of missing the connecting flight, the fact that there is no connecting flight! Total flight time of 2 hours vs about 6 hours (inc layover etc.) ... time is money!

Means we arrive in Krabi at 10PM instead of 6PM, but means we don't fly out of Yangon until 19:30 ... i'd prefer to have the afternoon in Yangon rather than an evening in Krabi as we've been to Krabi multiple times before (just using it as a stop over, but going to spend 1 full day / night the next day there to relax... might go to Railay again)

4 hours ago, taninthai said:

You need to check details for them new flights ,some one just sent me that and I haven’t looked into it all.

Already done. Fly Yangon 19.30 on Dec 22. 200 dollars per person before booking comfortable seats

Archived