have choice of marriage or retirement. Does it matter?

My wife and I are planning to move back to CM in the near future.  We were married prior to her getting an immigrate visa at the embassy in BKK.  I had a retirement visa for five years and it was a pain to keep up with changes.  I would also be eligible to get a marriage visa upon returning.  We have been gone for several years.  Which one would be easier to live with now?

56 minutes ago, Balance said:

Which one would be easier to live with now?

For a extension based upon retirement it depends upon which financial proof you are using. If using the money in the bank option the 800k baht has to be in the bank for 2 months before your apply apply and then for 3 months after then it can be lowered to 400k baht until you top up the account to 800k baht for the next extension. If using the 65k income option it depends upon whether you can get proof of income from your embassy or not. If not you have to prove the 65k baht is going into a Thai bank from abroad to apply.

For marriage it is still 400k baht in the bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht by way of proof from a embassy or going into a Thai bank from abroad every month.

• Like 2

Much easier to get the retirement visa (immigration even said this to me) but if you need to spend your 800,000 then marriage visa is the best option. this is what is required. please note num 14 on the list. IMG_1417.thumb.JPG.99df1109480d946aabb11781c063feb2.JPGIMG_1418.thumb.JPG.d4c053e9869b71c112c6e000d826371f.JPG 400 k in the bank for 2 months is a better option for me even having to jump through all the hoops, now i can buy that fence for the property,new smart tv,tyres for the car etc. etc.......

• Like 2

First of all if you come on an O-A visa then you can stay up to 2 years on that visa. You report to Immigration for 90 day reports.

I just got married and intend to stay on my retirement extension of stay because I think it is easier. I leave 800,000 in the bank to meet the financial requirement. When I go for my extension it requires some documents and a half day at the Bangkok Immigration office but I leave with my extension and passport that day.

I believe that for a marriage extension you leave your passport and it is under consideration for 30 and very likely requires a home visit by Immigration during that time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You have posted the same incorrect info before that I replied to to correct you.

They do not keep you passport. The give it back to with under consideration stamp in it with a report back date 30 days later.

That is not really a big deal and it is normally only for the first extension.

Oops. Sorry about the passport comment. If I had been previously corrected about the passport procedure I didn't see it. Now I know and I won't forget it. Thanks.

Of course many people are do a marriage extension. I don’t like the 30 day under consideration thing. Money and process. It's a matter of individual preference

Edited by Martyp

1 hour ago, Martyp said:

I believe that for a marriage extension you leave your passport and it is under consideration for 30 and very likely requires a home visit by Immigration during that time.  

Wrong.

You do not leave your passport.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

For a extension based upon retirement it depends upon which financial proof you are using. If using the money in the bank option the 800k baht has to be in the bank for 2 months before your apply apply and then for 3 months after then it can be lowered to 400k baht until you top up the account to 800k baht for the next extension. If using the 65k income option it depends upon whether you can get proof of income from your embassy or not. If not you have to prove the 65k baht is going into a Thai bank from abroad to apply.

For marriage it is still 400k baht in the bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht by way of proof from a embassy or going into a Thai bank from abroad every month.

I have for the past 10 years used my UK Veterans pension statement without any problems.

Due to the British Embassy no longer providing this service I will need to show evidence of my monthly transfers from the UK HSBC to my Thailand account Kasikorn.

My Retirement visa extension is due in Dec 2019 So yesterday I printed out all the monthly Advice of debit statements from my UK HSBC account That show all ref and both bank codes and full details of the transfer also stating reason for transfer ( living fees ) from May 2018 in order to check all would be ok in Dec.

I met with an immigration officer in Pattaya and showed him the statements the immigration office told me that the statements would not be accepted and I would need to have 800.000tb in the bank or a letter from my Embassy confirming my pension.

I told him I could also proved a letter from my bank confirming the payments he again said no it would not be accepted.

So it appears your statement:

( If not you have to prove the 65k baht is going into a Thai bank from abroad to apply.)

is incorrect.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, Balance said:

My wife and I are planning to move back to CM in the near future.  We were married prior to her getting an immigrate visa at the embassy in BKK.  I had a retirement visa for five years and it was a pain to keep up with changes.  I would also be eligible to get a marriage visa upon returning.  We have been gone for several years.  Which one would be easier to live with now?

I have always believed extending a stay as a spouse is the better option, and with the new changes it’s now a no brainier! Extend based on your marriage.

2 minutes ago, Just Looking said:

I have for the past 10 years used my UK Veterans pension statement without any problems.

Due to the British Embassy no longer providing this service I will need to show evidence of my monthly transfers from the UK HSBC to my Thailand account Kasikorn.

My Retirement visa extension is due in Dec 2019 So yesterday I printed out all the monthly Advice of debit statements from my UK HSBC account That show all ref and both bank codes and full details of the transfer also stating reason for transfer ( living fees ) from May 2018 in order to check all would be ok in Dec.

I met with an immigration officer in Pattaya and showed him the statements the immigration office told me that the statements would not be accepted and I would need to have 800.000tb in the bank or a letter from my Embassy confirming my pension.

I told him I could also proved a letter from my bank confirming the payments he again said no it would not be accepted.

( If not you have to prove the 65k baht is going into a Thai bank from abroad to apply.)

is incorrect.

The statement IS correct.

The onus of proof rests with you - and what your local immigration office will accept as proof.

Many immigration offices want a bank letter 'certifying' that you receive 65k EVERY month. Many banks will not do this, Bangkok bank is one that will.

6 minutes ago, Just Looking said:

is incorrect.

How is it incorrect.

I wrote what the police order states. It the seems the officer was wrong if you have been transferring at least 65k baht into a Thai bank and have proof it came from abroad.

From the police order.

image.png.2638b9ca0da99eb19607aeb646f49408.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Isn't the 2 months before, 3 months after only for the initial application? Isn't it 3 months before and 3 months after for the extensions? Referring to the 800k in the bank method.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

How is it incorrect.

I wrote what the police order states. It the seems the officer was wrong if you have been transferring at least 65k baht into a Thai bank and have proof it came from abroad.

From the police order.

image.png.2638b9ca0da99eb19607aeb646f49408.png

What about the bank letter confirming transfers came from abroad ?

10 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

The statement IS correct.

The onus of proof rests with you - and what your local immigration office will accept as proof.

Many immigration offices want a bank letter 'certifying' that you receive 65k EVERY month. Many banks will not do this, Bangkok bank is one that will.

Sorry it is not.

I was told that whatever I produced would not be accepted as ONLY the 800,000tb in the bank OR a letter from the Embassy would be accepted .

I have transferred 1800GBP Every month for the past several years from my HSBC account.

I have posted this to warn BM that was my encounter its not a big deal for me as can go the 800,000tb route.

so it maybe prudent for anyone thinking they can go the 65,000tb a month into the bank for the last 12 months go check as apposed to relying  on comments on a forum and getting a shock on the day of renewal.

If I had the same choices as you, I would keep getting extensions based upon retirement. They're usually processed quicker and - depending on the immigration office you use - in a less denigrating way than marriage extensions. Also, in case of a divorce or death of your wife, no additional immigration issues to deal with on top of that.