have choice of marriage or retirement. Does it matter?

16 minutes ago, fishtank said:

The Wife probably also has an income so both contribute.

I bet you 20 baht that the vast majority of Thais married to a Foreigner don't work or have an income. It’s why most of them get married!

The 400K is purely the amount they want the husband to have to fund his stay. Any income the wife has is completely ignored by immigration. 

On 7/18/2019 at 12:40 PM, Just Looking said:

So it appears your statement:

( If not you have to prove the 65k baht is going into a Thai bank from abroad to apply.)

is incorrect. 

What you're missing is that you must prove the transfers using a Thai bank account and a letter from said Thai bank. Statements and or letters are not accepted from your UK (or any foreign bank for that matter) account.  I know you're new here, you just need to spend a little more time asking questions and doing some research...

On 7/18/2019 at 12:40 PM, Just Looking said:

I have for the past 10 years used my UK Veterans pension statement without any problems.

Due to the British Embassy no longer providing this service I will need to show evidence of my monthly transfers from the UK HSBC to my Thailand account Kasikorn.

My Retirement visa extension is due in Dec 2019 So yesterday I printed out all the monthly Advice of debit statements from my UK HSBC account That show all ref and both bank codes and full details of the transfer also stating reason for transfer ( living fees ) from May 2018 in order to check all would be ok in Dec.

I met with an immigration officer in Pattaya and showed him the statements the immigration office told me that the statements would not be accepted and I would need to have 800.000tb in the bank or a letter from my Embassy confirming my pension.

I told him I could also proved a letter from my bank confirming the payments he again said no it would not be accepted.

So it appears your statement:

( If not you have to prove the 65k baht is going into a Thai bank from abroad to apply.)

is incorrect.

Just out of curiosity - It sounds like you were getting statements from your UK bank. I would think that you need a statement from Kasikorn bank. Did you get statements from Kasikorn and show them to the IO officer?

9 hours ago, elviajero said:

I bet you 20 baht that the vast majority of Thais married to a Foreigner don't work or have an income. It’s why most of them get married!

Rubbish.

My Wife's income is far greater than mine.

You do love to argue.

Edited by fishtank

On 7/18/2019 at 10:55 AM, Martyp said:

First of all if you come on an O-A visa then you can stay up to 2 years on that visa. You report to Immigration for 90 day reports.

I just got married and intend to stay on my retirement extension of stay because I think it is easier. I leave 800,000 in the bank to meet the financial requirement. When I go for my extension it requires some documents and a half day at the Bangkok Immigration office but I leave with my extension and passport that day.

I believe that for a marriage extension you leave your passport and it is under consideration for 30 and very likely requires a home visit by Immigration during that time.  

Please explain how i can get 2 years , i was under the impression it was one year , for O-A .

Thank you.

28 minutes ago, elliss said:

Please explain how i can get 2 years , i was under the impression it was one year , for O-A .

Thank you.

You only get 1 year stay permit each time you enter the country using the O-A entry visa. But if you make a final entry just before the O-A visa expires you get a new 1 year stay permit. So it’s possible to get nearly two years from one visa.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, elliss said:

Thank you.

An O-A visa purchased outside of Thailand is a 1 year multiple entry visa. The unusual thing about it is that during that 1st year, each time you leave and re-enter Thailand your passport gets ink stamped with permission to stay for a full year from the date of the entry. If you exit and return near the end of the first year you will get the 1 year stamp so you will have gotten nearly 2 years of stay on that 1 year visa.

I arrived in February 2017 on an O-A and had no idea about this. I went to apply for my 1 year extension in Bangkok in February 2018 and they told me to return in November. I had visited Siam Reap, Cambodia in November 2017 and on return they stamped me in until November 2018. I then started researching Thai visa forums and learned about how an O-A visa works. 

Since an O-A visa is obtained using money deposited outside Thailand (your home country?), there are people who advocate going back to your home country to obtain a new O-A every two years. That is, if you prefer to keep your money outside Thailand or don't want to/can't meet the financial requirements for a 1 year extension. I know one Facebook forum moderator who knows a few people who have been doing this for several years. Not my choice but it is something to consider.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Martyp said:

The unusual thing about it is that during that 1st year, each time you leave and re-enter Thailand your passport gets ink stamped with permission to stay for a full year from the date of the entry.

Not really unusual for a multiple entry visa. Any multiple entry visa allows a permit to stay of 60 or 90 days or 1 or 2 years dependent upon the category of the visa up to the date the visa expires.

45 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not really unusual for a multiple entry visa. Any multiple entry visa allows a permit to stay of 60 or 90 days or 1 or 2 years dependent upon the category of the visa up to the date the visa expires.

OK OK 

surprising to me when I found out about it

All my adult life I traveled on a US passport and never more than 3 weeks at a time. I never had to think about visas. I just show up and they let you in. Even at work we had an office that handled the issues of foreign employees. My first visa ever was for a short trip to Myanmar. 

Edited by Martyp

19 hours ago, elviajero said:

You only get 1 year stay permit each time you enter the country using the O-A entry visa. But if you make a final entry just before the O-A visa expires you get a new 1 year stay permit. So it’s possible to get nearly two years from one visa.

Can you get a multi-re-entry permit added to that second year?

3 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

You can get a multiple re-entry permit to keep you last one year permit to stay valid if you want to travel. You can get it at your local immigration office for a fee of 3800 baht.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

Yes you can. From your local immigration office, or at the airport on exit from the country.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

Yes you can purchase a multi-re-entry permit but it will only be dated to expire at the same date as your permission to stay stamp. For example in my case, I arrived with an O-A in February 2017 and went to Cambodia in November 2017. I received a permission to stay stamp until November 2018. I purchased a new multiple-entry in February 2018 but it was only good until November 2018.

• Thanks 1