PM Prayut speaks out! No more ripping off of tourists - it's bad for Thailand's wonderful image

webfact

Yes, you can get your joints replaced while smoking unlimited joints in a joint of your own choosing, jointly with your friends! It's great!

Yeah I heard that Canada Legalised weed but I didn't know about the joint replacement thing!

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s always funny when these people are confronted with reality and what they think Thailand’s reputation is abroad.

Think he has not heard about the “taxi” scam they are running at the port of Phuket yet.

The mafia there controls the port and I am sure non of them even has a license to operate.

It went so far that the mafia blocked tour buses that where supposed to pick up cruise passengers on pre arranged tours on the island until the captain had enough and decided to get everybody onboard and leave this island of cheats and scammers!

10 years ago they charged 500 Baht per person one way to Patong! Seating 9 people they took 4500 Baht one way or 9000 Baht return for a 10 seater mini bus!
A taxi driver dropping of a friend of mine in front of the ship had to return empty to Patong by the threat of violence he was not allowed to transport waiting guests or crew on his way back to Patong.
Authorities are obviously not in control of anything here or are simply in on the scams.

If the PM thinks he can order anything in this country he should think again - he has no power to order anything he is just a little old man on a power trip who has no idea what is going on in his country!

This guy made a fool of himself when he ordered the Chiang Mai burning to be stopped within 7 days and the toxic air cleared. Nothing happened until the rains set in - but I am sure he took credit for the rain!

The day he visited the stupid police where conducting exhaust pipe tests on vehicles on major roads - while the mountains and fields behind them where on fire churning out huge clouds of toxic air - what a bunch of useless morons!
The air crises story has gone around the world for several months and people now associate Thailand with dirty air and the toxins you are breathing when you visit!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, johng said:

How about the dual priced National parks and most other tourist attractions that charge tourists 2 -10 times the "Thai price" ?

he didn't knew about it, that's for next term

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Now if only he will try to fix the difficulties and the incomberness the immigration people putting good people and expats thru he'd be remembered as the PM who did well...

was not (yet) informed about the IMO inefficiencies but it appears it's on his agenda for next term

They said that the whole kingdom was famed for being a wonderful place to visit with so many attractions and such kind and welcoming people. Everyone should be great hosts to boost tourism, they said.

I wish I knew what they were taking.

I want some.

3 hours ago, johng said:

How about the dual priced National parks and most other tourist attractions that charge tourists 2 -10 times the "Thai price" ?

That's not the least bit unusual anywhere in the world. In Holland, there are train and museum passes for local residents. When I last lived there, it was €40/year for a museum pass to almost all of the museums in the country, whereas the usual admittance fee, for tourists, was €12.50. It's a perfectly sensible way of doing things. The USSA has their national parks pass.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

PM Prayut speaks out! No more ripping off of tourists - it's bad for Thailand's wonderful image

usually the saying says "do as I say don't do as I do".... here is the contrary, people out there just follow the government actions, thus the saying ..."do as I do and forget (don't do) what I said"

9 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

That's not the least bit unusual anywhere in the world. In Holland, there are train and museum passes for local residents. When I last lived there, it was €40/year for a museum pass to almost all of the museums in the country, whereas the usual admittance fee, for tourists, was €12.50. It's a perfectly sensible way of doing things. The USSA has their national parks pass.

But anyone can buy the National Parks Pass in the US. You don't have to be a US citizen.

2 hours ago, essox essox said:

if one has Thai driving licence you might find that you could/would be charged only 20 baht.....

It used to be the case but it has changed and many National Parks will charge you the farang price whether you have a Thai driving licence or not. Same applies to work permit.

I have entered 3 National Parks the last 2 weeks and I was asked to pay the farang price.

Just now, garrya said:

It used to be the case but it has changed and many National Parks will charge you the farang price whether you have a Thai driving licence or not. Same applies to work permit.

I have entered 3 National Parks the last 2 weeks and I was asked to pay the farang price.

It's sort of like immigration, up to the 'gatekeeper' that you have to deal with to choose how he/she interprets the rules at that particular moment. I've had success and no success using my Thai driver's license.

At least he knows that tourists do get ripped off in LOS, am just surprised he doesn't know that a huge % of tourists come to a world renown LOS resort for sex services......Strange that, as most of the planet knows...????

I hate to be the one to state the obvious, but there are many things in Thailand that are overpriced. But transportation seems to be at the top of the complaint pile for visitors. If the TAT wants to increase tourism, it should make having longer term visas EASIER to get, not more difficult. And if you believe that the rich Indian tourists will save tourism in Thailand, you are sadly mistaken. Both of the rich Indians usually go to Singapore, not Thailand. It's the low lifes of India that come to Thailand. I used to work and learned the following thing is most important. If you want money (business, tourism, or whatever), be near those that have money. Indians do not. The Chinese and Russians have learned their own lessons and that's why they are tapering off on visiting here. The government blew it with Westerners, and now they are making similar mistakes with India, China, and Russia.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The Prime minister of Thailand has spoken out about locals ripping off tourists - and he has demanded that his country folk stop it and started behaving like it says in the guidebooks. 

So fascinating that the leader of a country needs to go on record to tell his people not to rip off guests.

This is EVERYTHING we need to know about Thai people on average.

Where are the forum's great Thai Defenders????

1 hour ago, GalaxyMan said:

Yes, local residents, whatever nationality they might be. A Thai national, living in (e.g) Amsterdam would be considered a local resident, I assume.

Many of the UK's best museums; FREE for all visitors. UK National Parks; FREE for all visitors - they don't even have entrance gates. Pay-to-enter attractions same price for all (OK, we know there are e.g. student and pensioner reductions but foreign students and pensioners also qualify if they can prove their status) except where a very limited definition of 'local resident' might apply but, in any case, that definition won't be based upon nationality, purely residency.

2 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Yes, local residents, whatever nationality they might be. A Thai national, living in (e.g) Amsterdam would be considered a local resident, I assume.

Many of the UK's best museums; FREE for all visitors. UK National Parks; FREE for all visitors - they don't even have entrance gates. Pay-to-enter attractions same price for all (OK, we know there are e.g. student and pensioner reductions but foreign students and pensioners also qualify if they can prove their status) except where a very limited definition of 'local resident' might apply but, in any case, that definition won't be based upon nationality, purely residency.

The UK has free stuff because the populous pay taxes to fund it. UK folk are followed through their life to be sure they pay those taxes.

Bit different in LOS, I don't know anyone that pays taxes or gets a demand through the door...

3 minutes ago, Geordieabroad said:

Don't worry about ruining Thailand's reputation, that's already done. 2 friends of mine came out from the U.K. to visit me here 3 years ago, they weren't impressed and said "never again"

Perhaps 12 hours on a bar stool wasn't their thing.....????

Ohhh dear...
Meanwhile the road accidents grow - no sun loungers on Wednesdays - alcohol sales restricted during shopping hours - tourists being intimidated by massive police controls in entertainment areas - popular 'tourist' products in stores heavily taxed (wine/cheese) - dirty beaches - waste piling up in every street corner - and the list continues.... 

10 minutes ago, MartinL said:

From their website:

Whilst the card offers excellent value, unfortunately for visitors and non-residents the Museumkaart membership rules were significantly tightened up in 2016. When buying over-the-counter you now get a temporary card which is valid for 31 days and 5 museum visits.

Dutch and EU residents can officially register the temporary card (photo required) to upgrade to the full annual validity.

He should put his own house in order first. Overcharging (or as politely called Dual Pricing) by the government in National parks, museums and other places, 500% more for a tourist or any non Thai. What message does this send to Thais working in the tourist industry. You farang you pay more.

I always use the son in law of Phuket motor cycle rentals (owned by an decent Aussie bloke) his son in law is great AND he’s a safe driver!!

has a perfectly clean new van, free chilled water offered every time.

charges me 650 from airport to southern side of Patong. Took me to Mom Tris at Kata Noi for 700.

hell stop anywhere for you along the way of you have any chores or stops like banks etc to do.

screw taxi drivers n motocy taxis on Phuket.

once there rent a bike from my Aussie pal n your set????????

2 hours ago, tabarin said:

If something is bad for Thailand image it is their current visa policy and hostility towards foreigners.
It are government institutions themselves who are guilty to ripping off too.

Especially the treatment of the elderly!

We simply can’t jump through the Immigration Police hoops any more ... yet all they care about is money, money, money. 

This certainly harms Thailand’s already badly tarnished image globally because we report our experience to family and friends everywhere. 

Archived