PM Prayut speaks out! No more ripping off of tourists - it's bad for Thailand's wonderful image

webfact

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, webfact said:

Many have said that rip-offs are driving tourists away to pastures new. 

Beat downs also. And of course the main reason is tourists no longer feel welcome. As that took twenty years to create, not so sure Prayuts instructions will help with that.

54 minutes ago, steven100 said:

This is good by Khun Prayut, and if he is genuinely concerned he will effectively implement strategies that will punish those who are seen to be ripping off tourists.

Obviously you missed the part where he asks those who are ripping off tourists to keep an eye out for people ripping off tourists.I just noticed you said "if he is genuinely concerned".Do you have doubts?

13 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Personally- hospitality refers to service in hotels and restaurants- not getting drunk and  not abusing the local poor boys and girls for a few minutes of sexual pleasure .

I',m sure most would prefer the service to take place in hotels which is the norm but I'm not sure how many would have the service take place in a restaurant even if it was only for a few minutes!It might upset the other diners!

11 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Personally- hospitality refers to service in hotels and restaurants- not getting drunk and  not abusing the local poor boys and girls for a few minutes of sexual pleasure .

You have a liver cirrhosis and can't get it up right?

I hate rip offs and dual pricing but the fact that both will continue no matter what the Big Pumpkin says is the biggest pointer to why Tourist numbers are falling and will also continue to.   Thailand has to realise that the Goose is no longer laying golden eggs and they need a complete rethink before it's too late....or is it too late already ?

2 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

and how many tourists have a Thai driver license ?

It really doesn't cost much to purchase an International Drivers license in your Country of residence, IF you think you may decide to drive in another Country, Thailand Police accept International Drivers Licenses. I frequently drive from Vientiane to Pattaya to obtain spare parts for my outboard motors and to have outboards repaired/serviced etc. ... my Lao Driving Licenses is acceptable by the Police to about Khon Kaen, after that, they get smart and ask for an International Drivers License (as they cannot read the Lao Language I think ... not sure if they can read English either) but no problem. My sons have brought Aussie International Lic's also, and no problem.

3000 Baht for a ride from P. Airport to a Hotel ???? We rent a 10 seater Mini Bus from Budget at Phuket Airport for 1300 baht per day ... and drive ourselves, admittedly we know our way around. It would still be cheaper to rent the mini bus and then tell a tuk tuk drive to drive to the hotel and follow him .... ha ha ha

How to change an entire culture? Anytime we go out to buy something my wife tells me to stay away when she asks prices because she does not want to pay Farang prices. Ripping off non-Thais is part of doing business in LOS.

13 minutes ago, British Bulldog said:

It really doesn't cost much to purchase an International Drivers license in your Country of residence, IF you think you may decide to drive in another Country, Thailand Police accept International Drivers Licenses. I frequently drive from Vientiane to Pattaya to obtain spare parts for my outboard motors and to have outboards repaired/serviced etc. ... my Lao Driving Licenses is acceptable by the Police to about Khon Kaen, after that, they get smart and ask for an International Drivers License (as they cannot read the Lao Language I think ... not sure if they can read English either) but no problem. My sons have brought Aussie International Lic's also, and no problem.

3000 Baht for a ride from P. Airport to a Hotel ???? We rent a 10 seater Mini Bus from Budget at Phuket Airport for 1300 baht per day ... and drive ourselves, admittedly we know our way around. It would still be cheaper to rent the mini bus and then tell a tuk tuk drive to drive to the hotel and follow him .... ha ha ha

Yes I know all those things but some tourists are not aware of it or

don't even have a license in their home country and if they are first

timers to Thailand they will get fleeced even my self I don't like to drive

in Thailand after spending several years back home now

2 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

That's not the least bit unusual anywhere in the world. In Holland, there are train and museum passes for local residents. When I last lived there, it was €40/year for a museum pass to almost all of the museums in the country, whereas the usual admittance fee, for tourists, was €12.50. It's a perfectly sensible way of doing things. The USSA has their national parks pass.

I think the point is that in the US and Holland people from abroad who are working in, paying tax in and have residence in said countries are able to access such things also, not just those hold passports of the country.

PM Prayut worried about "tourists in Phuket" getting ripped off, needs to broaden his perspective... if you're a 'Farang' you've got a neon sign fashing above your head, saying "Rip me off!!!"

During this week been 'ripped off' twice!!

PM Prayut needs to take a long hard look @ Thai Immigration & the practices employed at those offices!!

The latest scam of TM30 reporting is B/S!! 

5 years later the problem of the transport mafia in Phuket has finally been recognized by the 
Boss"

His problem now is going to be to get the BIB to accept less in the envelopes from them

& to get someone to police this.

Already only after being sworn in as the new PM his holiday is over,

Sooner or later he is going to have to completely dismantle the corrupt, lazy police force.

Not sure he has the intestinal fortitude

3 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

How many times has the Phuket "tuk-tuk" mafia been told to reign in their practices?  No governor or police chief has been able to do it (or wanted to).  Now the diaper wearing PM wants to try?  Good luck!

Now what type of mafia would they be if they did what they were told to do!!!

They needs to make them dividends.

How is it possible for this man to be concerned over the the image portrayed by 2 Ozzies getting ripped off, when his own Government has adopted a rip-off policy of its own against Tourists for National Park entrance fees.

I think his name should now be" Kipper "

22 minutes ago, MartiniMan said:

If only we had a Thai Trump... enough talking lets see some action plans and hear whats being done not what is going to maybe be thought about!!

Yes, build that wall!

2 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

That's not the least bit unusual anywhere in the world. In Holland, there are train and museum passes for local residents. When I last lived there, it was €40/year for a museum pass to almost all of the museums in the country, whereas the usual admittance fee, for tourists, was €12.50. It's a perfectly sensible way of doing things. The USSA has their national parks pass.

The reason it is wrong is you could have been living here 20 years, have a business employing 100 people or more and you would still pay the 1,000% extra for not being a Thai citizen. Does that happen in Holland or America, or anywhere?

They used to accept a Thai driving licence as proof of living here and allow the Thai price. At the very least people with retirement, marriage, education, or work permit issued visas should be paying the local  prices.

4 hours ago, nickstav said:

On the lighter side, funny story...we went to a major waterpark. My girlfriend was charged the full price of admission, while I got the 50% senior citizen discount. She was so pissed-off about that and all day was mumbling under her breath "490 Baht" (the senior citizen price I had paid).

..check you mirrors every 6 seconds.

12 minutes ago, Snig27 said:

He's worried about Thailand's image? As the taxi driver in Singapore once said to me "everyone thinks your prime minister is a clown". 

your right..it is a bit of a circus and some of the players dont need any costumes or padding.

2 minutes ago, chrissables said:

At the very least people with retirement, marriage, education, or work permit issued visas should be paying the local  prices.

Agreed, if only dreams could make wishes come true. LOS is not the LOF(airness) or LOL(ogic).

3 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

The PM is right, a lot of the prostitutes ask outrageous prices these days!

even more concerning idiots are agreeing to pay those outrageous prices, and paying the now outrageous price of drinks in the well known areas of bars and GoGo bars.

Those drinks prices are a sure rip off if there ever was. 

Yet most of the time those places are not getting the foot traffic, now I wonder why, yet the business owners fail to see that they’ve priced themselves out of the market. 

Well that’s business logic here for you, ‘insane’ !  

Archived