'Not a dustbin': Cambodia to send plastic waste back to the US and Canada

geovalin

Country vows to return 1,600 tonnes of waste as south-east Asian countries revolt against an onslaught of rubbish shipments

Cambodia has announced it will send 1,600 tonnes of plastic waste found in shipping containers back to the US and Canada, as south-east Asian countries revolt against an onslaught of rubbish shipments.

China’s decision to ban foreign plastic waste imports last year threw global recycling into chaos, leaving developed nations struggling to find countries to send their trash.

Eighty-three shipping containers full of rubbish were found on Tuesday at Sihanoukville, Cambodia’s main port, according to a spokesman for the country’s environment minister.

read more https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/17/cambodia-plastic-waste-us-canada-send-back

It disturbs me greatly that this is how the west saw fit to deal with their rubbish problems. One would have thought with the technology and resources available, they would be in a better position to depose/reuse/recycle it than any developing nation, but apparently this is not the case. A disgraceful embarrassment for any 'developed' nation involved.

A dust bin has a lid and keeps the trash confined. Cambodia doesn't have a lid and the trash is only confined by geographical boundaries. One of the filthiest countries and people I've seen. Worse than the Indonesians for just throwing their trash on the nearest vacant plot of ground. I'm surprised anyone noticed an extra 1,600 tonnes.

Archived