buying condo in vietnam and required visas

murraynz

I  am thinking about buying a condo in NHA TRANG, but, at this stage, i know nothing about laws for foreigners buying property in vietnam..

I own a very nice condo at cosy beach pattaya, but thinking about spending a month or so, several times a year in nha trang...

when/if i buy, i would be 72yrs old excellent health...

1/   are condo prices cheaper than pattaya ?? { i would buy something quite fancy}

2/  im only interested if i can get 100% legal ownership.

3/ is it easy to open bank account in vietnam ??

4/  what is the best type of visa, required for this situation?{i have multi entry non OA  retiremnt for thailand...leave 800k in the bank account...

5/ do condo values in nha trang increase or fall ??

6/  can any body suggest any other areas that may be suitable to live{i didnt like da nang much}

i like nha trang beach, but also like night life with ladies etc...and good choice of restaurants.

7/   how does cost of living compare to pattaya ??

no sarcastic replies thanks,   no replies from misery guts bored people....thanks..

18 minutes ago, rjwill01 said:

Stop wasting our time and just Google your questions. Nothing but a self service post.

A very helpful contribution............................... not !

Unfamiliar with the purpose of a forum ?  Get a life.

Not sure why you'd tie up cash by buying a place either in Thailand or in Vietnam.  I'm 73 and calculated the break-even between cash for a condo and rent.  Breakeven exceeded my life expectancy by a bunch.  Makes sense to buy a place if you're younger, but even then, without financing available (and no tax benefit even if it were), the cash outlay, transaction cost and maintenance exposure make it a little dicey.  Given the ever-changing Immigration rules, "cash is king" seems to make sense - conserve it.

Foreigners can buy up to 30% of the condos in a building, up to 10% of houses in a gated compound, or up to 250 houses in each ward (district).  However, as land (in theory) belongs to all Vietnamese, and is "managed" by the government, you will only be given a 50 year lease, which is renewable, but may involve "buying" the property all over again.

57 minutes ago, Edheres said:

Not sure why you'd tie up cash by buying a place either in Thailand or in Vietnam.  I'm 73 and calculated the break-even between cash for a condo and rent.  Breakeven exceeded my life expectancy by a bunch.  Makes sense to buy a place if you're younger, but even then, without financing available (and no tax benefit even if it were), the cash outlay, transaction cost and maintenance exposure make it a little dicey.  Given the ever-changing Immigration rules, "cash is king" seems to make sense - conserve it.

thanks for your opinion--i do have very ample cash generated from comm property investments.

ive moved around a lot, as i used to buy 'do-up " houses in nz, so now, i actually like to have a place that i can call 'home'...the cost of condo in vietnam or thailand, is peanuts compared to cost of house in nz or australia...

1 hour ago, Edheres said:

Just because you are old and wouldn't do it, doesn't make it wrong.

Personal decision - especially when others may have more tut than you.

1 hour ago, Edheres said:

You are one of the few that was wise.   That's exactly why I did not buy outside the US.  Hassle free I can make min 11% average 22%/yr on ETF, mutual funds, or trading equities.  

Not wishing to hijack the thread, but does anyone know...

If I take Thai baht to Vietnam, can I easily exchange it? I took Thai baht to the Philippines and no bank would touch it. I had to exchange at the hotel we stayed at, which actually gave a very good rate. 

4 minutes ago, Bert Jones said:

If I take Thai baht to Vietnam, can I easily exchange it? I took Thai baht to the Philippines and no bank would touch it. I had to exchange at the hotel we stayed at, which actually gave a very good rate. 

sorry, i read your post incorrectly--im only guessing , but im sure that you would be able to change thb.

i usually just withdraw cash from c card at airport, but thats a more expensive way of doing it.

ive read--its better to exchange thb for viet dong in thailand,say at superrich at airport.

I would say yes, check online to be sure.

But with the hordes who claim they have moved to Vietnam, there should be many on here giving you all the assistance you need.

So, don't be shy folks lets give this person some answers.

Thanks Murraynz, ... its just that the Thai baht is strong against the Dong - and I have Thai bhat in cash. I won't be going until maybe next February so all could change exchange wise...I'm just googling on how to obtain a 6 month visa on arrival - looks quite straight forward, unless I'm on a scamming site...any experience ?

1 hour ago, Bert Jones said:

I had trouble in Da Nang a couple of years ago.

1 hour ago, Bert Jones said:

I always take Thai Baht, never any problem in the banks or gold shops.

Don't change at the airport though, Da Nang airport bank wanted to give me 550,000vnd, in town I got 710,000vnd.

8 hours ago, rjwill01 said:

Stop wasting our time and just Google your questions. Nothing but a self service post.

Not sure forums are for you to be honest, and you don't speak for me and many more people on this forum when you say "Our".

9 hours ago, murraynz said:

6/  can any body suggest any other areas that may be suitable to live{i didnt like da nang much}

i like nha trang beach, but also like night life with ladies etc...and good choice of restaurants.

Saigon or Vung Tau for you then.

Probably Saigon if you want western restaurant choices, some great Indian places there $5 for a curry.

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I always take Thai Baht, never any problem in the banks or gold shops.

Don't change at the airport though, Da Nang airport bank wanted to give me 550,000vnd, in town I got 710,000vnd.

i think airport exchange rates, are always lower, but some areas dont have many exchange kiosks..

i was in da nang in feb, but didnt take much notice of the exchange rates-- now that thai baht is high--its definitely better to take thai baht--- or would i get more if i changed into vietnam dong at superrich ???

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Saigon or Vung Tau for you then.

Probably Saigon if you want western restaurant choices, some great Indian places there $5 for a curry.

thanks very much, ive been googling a bit about Vung Tau --it realy appeals.  i think i will make a short visit later this year{ already booked for sth korea,in august, then bali in november..with thai girls..

can i get direct flights from don muang to vung tau ?? or do i have to fly to ho chi minh first...

i like beaches and a bit of nightlife and restaurants---but i am an 'oldie' ?? 68yrs...

any other tips about vung tau, or similar places, would be much appreciated..

is it cheaper than pattaya ?? im not a big drinker, but like ladies...

2 hours ago, murraynz said:

thanks very much, ive been googling a bit about Vung Tau --it realy appeals.

Not many restaurant choices in Vung Tau, and nearly all Asian.

A cluster of girlie bars around front beach, so many girls in them and no customers it's a bit intimidating.

I walked into on small bar, 20 ladies turned and watched me, I turned around and walked back out.

Pretty girls though and all over 18.

Action is all centered on MK Bar, a family bar and restaurant outside, then inside the darkened glass room, girls, and a few ladyboys. All the other bars are within 100m of this place. Happy hour 7-9, drinks buy one get one free. Lots of Oz oil worker expats living there.

Back beach is really beautiful, the sand is covered in sea shells.

People over 63 get a discounted ticket on the ferry from HCMC.

vung tau.jpg

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not many restaurant choices in Vung Tau, and nearly all Asian.

A cluster of girlie bars around front beach, so many girls in them and no customers it's a bit intimidating.

I walked into on small bar, 20 ladies turned and watched me, I turned around and walked back out.

Pretty girls though and all over 18.

Action is all centered on MK Bar, a family bar and restaurant outside, then inside the darkened glass room, girls, and a few ladyboys. All the other bars are within 100m of this place. Happy hour 7-9, drinks buy one get one free. Lots of Oz oil worker expats living there.

Back beach is really beautiful, the sand is covered in sea shells.

People over 63 get a discounted ticket on the ferry from HCMC.

vung tau.jpg

thanks sooo much for this reply.please feel free to personal message me, if you have any other info...

im going there for sure, maybe october... 

i understand what you say about 'too many girls intimidating' .. its i bit like that in many of the pattaya bars now---very quiet...im not that shy, but i dont realy like being only person in bar....

the shells on the beach look nice--i collect 'different' type shells...

ferry from HCMC, thats fantastic, also, much more enjoyable than flying.

i can see i need to do lots more 'googling' on Vung Tau and nearby areas....

i dont have a prob with oz oil rig workers--nz same same ?? 

do the bar girls and local people, speak much english ??

are girls, beer, food cheaper than BKK  or pattaya ??

i dont surf, but my son does --- is there anywhere in vietnam with reasonable size waves ??

do the  local girls like oldies, like me- 68...

im not overly slim or hansum, but have no problem getting very beautiful or young girls in thailand...

10 minutes ago, murraynz said:

i dont have a prob with oz oil rig workers--nz same same ?? 

do the bar girls and local people, speak much english ??

are girls, beer, food cheaper than BKK  or pattaya ??

i dont surf, but my son does --- is there anywhere in vietnam with reasonable size waves ??

do the  local girls like oldies, like me- 68...

im not overly slim or hansum, but have no problem getting very beautiful or young girls in thailand...

I had female English speaking company at every bar I entered, just drinks, chat and pool (I'm just over 60).

English speakers, same as Pattaya some do, some don't, but generally better conversational skills.

A beer in MK 'girlie bar' was 50,000vnd (about 60bht), but from 7-9pm it was BOGOF, so 30bht a beer, lady drinks $5 (100kvnd)

Beer in normal bars is around 20k-25kVND, under 30bht.

I was buying a pizza for $5 (100kvnd).

'better conversation skills'--that certainly helps...im not a big fan of the phillipines, but the girls there, are far more ' compatable' to us europeans...

i noticed in Nha trang-- the women are VERY  conscious about keeping out of the sun..

they cover up more than thai women, eg gloves and scarves on motorbike etc...

i would love to find a girl that likes the beach{not sunbathing}.. its hard to get that in thailand...ive had only once, then she got very upset, after she started getting "black'...hehe.

any good nearby islands to visit for snorkeling etc ?

45 minutes ago, murraynz said:

any good nearby islands to visit for snorkeling etc ?

I certainly wouldn't consider living there, too quiet, too small. Great for a weekend break from HCMC.

All my pals ended up in Phnom Penh, which fits your proposed needs much better, and a very easy 1 year VISA..

My second choice would be Barretto, Olongapo, which has a nice beach, and also easy VISA.

Vietnam at the moment could only ever be a holiday destination for me.

On 7/18/2019 at 10:28 AM, murraynz said:

when/if i buy, i would be 72yrs old

I thought twice about buying in Thailand when I was 55. Is your middle name Methuselah?

As for buying in Vietnam, the legal situation there seems much less attractive than in Thailand. Just short leaseholds as far as I can see, so why bother? Rent somewhere nice for a few years (that's probably all you will have) and let some other idiot have the hassle of ownership, not to mention the hassle of selling up later.

On 7/18/2019 at 10:28 AM, murraynz said:

when/if i buy, i would be 72yrs old excellent health...

At that age I would not be buying anything. It would just make winding up your estate a mess for those who inherit it. 

1 minute ago, aqua4 said:

At that age I would not be buying anything. It would just make winding up your estate a mess for those who inherit it. 

agree on this.... and even if he realizes he is dying,

i once tried to buy an apartment from a man with alzheimer

or some shit like that, i totally regretted i ever bothered.

old people should sell off what they have and move into an elderly home where they have the procedures to dispose of them smoothly

Archived