buying condo in vietnam and required visas

murraynz

2 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

agree on this.... and even if he realizes he is dying,

i once tried to buy an apartment from a man with alzheimer

or some shit like that, i totally regretted i ever bothered.

old people should sell off what they have and move into an elderly home where they have the procedures to dispose of them smoothly

What an ignorant response. Do you think that all old people (what age is old exactly?) should all be living in nursing homes?

50 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Do you think that all old people (what age is old exactly?) should all be living in nursing homes?

No, but everyone should be aware that after the age of 70 they are increasingly likely to lose their marbles and get sick and die, or any mixture of the three.

I've still got my smarts and I can stand on one leg without falling over, but I doubt that both will be true in 10 years time. So at the age of 70 I expect I would be giving more consideration to finding a nice nursing home than to finding a nice condo to buy.

3 hours ago, aqua4 said:

At that age I would not be buying anything. It would just make winding up your estate a mess for those who inherit it. 

not at all--my family or friends could stay in the condos--im not getting too 'carreid away 'about buying in vietnam..even with mid range condo it pattaya, its still not a lot of money involved...i may even leave to thai girl.

im not planning on dying for at least 2 decades after age 72---

ive taught my family not to expect inheritance --they have to work hard and invest well, to create their OWN  wealth-- in early 30s son and one daughter--have already done that....

3 hours ago, aqua4 said:

At that age I would not be buying anything. It would just make winding up your estate a mess for those who inherit it. 

sad realy---i expect to have many many more good years after that..if i get a bit decrepid, i can pay a qualified live-i n nurse, to care for me--- or if too bad ..my family claim they will 'drag' me back to nz....

my family on fathers side-all live-well into their 90s...

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

No, but everyone should be aware that after the age of 70 they are increasingly likely to lose their marbles and get sick and die, or any mixture of the three.

I've still got my smarts and I can stand on one leg without falling over, but I doubt that both will be true in 10 years time. So at the age of 70 I expect I would be giving more consideration to finding a nice nursing home than to finding a nice condo to buy.

no way---not me mate.. i even have a beautiful 21 yr old girlfriend, plus other long time, very close,  lady friends{im a butterfly}.

i dont have to buy houses for them, give them huge amounts of money ,or get married--

we just enjoy life together, lots of travel etc..

i spent too many years working my 

guts out'--now---im living it up, increasingly so, over next 10yrs{as my investment income increases.}

my only "fear', is dementia-at moment, no problems....

my fathers sister in nz -excellent health and very alert, still driving at 92yrs old---

On 7/18/2019 at 12:14 PM, Edheres said:

Not sure why you'd tie up cash by buying a place either in Thailand or in Vietnam.  I'm 73 and calculated the break-even between cash for a condo and rent.  Breakeven exceeded my life expectancy by a bunch.  Makes sense to buy a place if you're younger, but even then, without financing available (and no tax benefit even if it were), the cash outlay, transaction cost and maintenance exposure make it a little dicey.  Given the ever-changing Immigration rules, "cash is king" seems to make sense - conserve it.

Fyi , over 70, no pockets in shrouds , cash is not king . not cost efficent ..

I recently bought a house for a good thai lady , I have known for quite a few years.

That said, if i was younger more , i would choose Vietnam for retirement..

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I certainly wouldn't consider living there, too quiet, too small. Great for a weekend break from HCMC.

All my pals ended up in Phnom Penh, which fits your proposed needs much better, and a very easy 1 year VISA..

My second choice would be Barretto, Olongapo, which has a nice beach, and also easy VISA.

Vietnam at the moment could only ever be a holiday destination for me.

yeah thanks, thats why pattaya is great--its lively, plenty to do..

i will look up Barretto---i dont like anything about cambodia, even sihanoukville--too filthy, far dirtier than thailand...

56 minutes ago, murraynz said:

not at all--my family or friends could stay in the condos--im not getting too 'carreid away 'about buying in vietnam..even with mid range condo it pattaya, its still not a lot of money involved...i may even leave to thai girl.

im not planning on dying for at least 2 decades after age 72---

ive taught my family not to expect inheritance --they have to work hard and invest well, to create their OWN  wealth-- in early 30s son and one daughter--have already done that....

hmmmm,  you woudnt leave anything to your family ?  but you would to a thai girl 

im out of here  !!!!

8 hours ago, murraynz said:

yeah thanks, thats why pattaya is great--its lively, plenty to do..

i will look up Barretto---i dont like anything about cambodia, even sihanoukville--too filthy, far dirtier than thailand...

The riverfront area and promenade near bar street in PP was much cleaner than Pattaya.

I had a very nice morning walk along the jogging track every morning.

Plenty of expats (aged 50-70) to hang out with in the evenings.

We would meet up at 4pm then bar hop the 75c beer bars until we dropped.

If you were going to PP, I could put you in touch with them.

12 hours ago, nomad2019 said:

hmmmm,  you woudnt leave anything to your family ?  but you would to a thai girl 

im out of here  !!!!

i get your point---once again , my family may get get something, but they already know how to create their own wealth..its appreciated more that way..if i get lots of pleasure from thai girl, over longer period, whats wrong with taking care of her when i pass on...im soon setting up a charitable trust in nz , to donate to sick kids--thats where most of my assets will go...

in the meantime, i concentrate on keeping healthy, travel and lots of fun with thai girls..

im not interested in thinking about rest homes and what happens when i die---thats too morbit...maybe in my late 80s, i will...

think positive guys.....

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The riverfront area and promenade near bar street in PP was much cleaner than Pattaya.

I had a very nice morning walk along the jogging track every morning.

Plenty of expats (aged 50-70) to hang out with in the evenings.

We would meet up at 4pm then bar hop the 75c beer bars until we dropped.

If you were going to PP, I could put you in touch with them.

thanks Britman, im not in a hurry to go back to C ambodia--there are many many, much nicer places...

16 hours ago, KittenKong said:

If you have no dependants of relatives to leave either property or money to, makes little difference. I bought a house here (Thailand) nearly 10 years ago, I was 67 then, still got my marbles and better than fair health, so no regrets here. If you opt for a nursing home you can count on having a miserable last few years alive.

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

If you have no dependants of relatives to leave either property or money to, makes little difference.

Even without dependents I think at an advanced age I would rather avoid the hassle of trying to sell property here, if possible.

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

If you opt for a nursing home you can count on having a miserable last few years alive.

Can't agree with that. It all depends on the sort of place you go to.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

Even without dependents I think at an advanced age I would rather avoid the hassle of trying to sell property here, if possible.

Can't agree with that. It all depends on the sort of place you go to.

It depends on a lot of things, your financial status, location, country, state of health, etc etc. if you can afford a 5 star nursing home perhaps not so bad, otherwise pretty dismal. Believe me, I've seen dozens of them, I worked for Veterans Affairs for many years and some I wouldn't keep a dog in. I don't care how old I am, I don't want to be surrounded by other oldies on their last legs. Couldn't imagine anything more depressing.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

It depends on a lot of things, your financial status, location, country, state of health, etc etc. if you can afford a 5 star nursing home perhaps not so bad, otherwise pretty dismal. Believe me, I've seen dozens of them, I worked for Veterans Affairs for many years and some I wouldn't keep a dog in. I don't care how old I am, I don't want to be surrounded by other oldies on their last legs. Couldn't imagine anything more depressing.

you make some excellent points...care in nursing homes in nz varies considerably.they are expensive too..my father was in a good one, but---a lot of the people were like cabbages, somebody died daily..thats depressing..

for me-i will just pay a qualified live-in career, in thailand...

if i get too 'useless', my family will take me back to nz---

its all a bity scary. we have to plan ahead a little, but im not spending too much time thinking about being old...

• 1 month later...

Archived