BANGKOK
murraynz

buying condo in vietnam and required visas

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The riverfront area and promenade near bar street in PP was much cleaner than Pattaya.

I had a very nice morning walk along the jogging track every morning.

Plenty of expats (aged 50-70) to hang out with in the evenings.

We would meet up at 4pm then bar hop the 75c beer bars until we dropped.

If you were going to PP, I could put you in touch with them.

thanks Britman, im not in a hurry to go back to C ambodia--there are many many, much nicer places...

16 hours ago, KittenKong said:

No, but everyone should be aware that after the age of 70 they are increasingly likely to lose their marbles and get sick and die, or any mixture of the three.

I've still got my smarts and I can stand on one leg without falling over, but I doubt that both will be true in 10 years time. So at the age of 70 I expect I would be giving more consideration to finding a nice nursing home than to finding a nice condo to buy.

If you have no dependants of relatives to leave either property or money to, makes little difference. I bought a house here (Thailand) nearly 10 years ago, I was 67 then, still got my marbles and better than fair health, so no regrets here. If you opt for a nursing home you can count on having a miserable last few years alive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

If you have no dependants of relatives to leave either property or money to, makes little difference.

Even without dependents I think at an advanced age I would rather avoid the hassle of trying to sell property here, if possible.

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

If you opt for a nursing home you can count on having a miserable last few years alive.

Can't agree with that. It all depends on the sort of place you go to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

Even without dependents I think at an advanced age I would rather avoid the hassle of trying to sell property here, if possible.

Can't agree with that. It all depends on the sort of place you go to.

It depends on a lot of things, your financial status, location, country, state of health, etc etc. if you can afford a 5 star nursing home perhaps not so bad, otherwise pretty dismal. Believe me, I've seen dozens of them, I worked for Veterans Affairs for many years and some I wouldn't keep a dog in. I don't care how old I am, I don't want to be surrounded by other oldies on their last legs. Couldn't imagine anything more depressing.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

It depends on a lot of things, your financial status, location, country, state of health, etc etc. if you can afford a 5 star nursing home perhaps not so bad, otherwise pretty dismal. Believe me, I've seen dozens of them, I worked for Veterans Affairs for many years and some I wouldn't keep a dog in. I don't care how old I am, I don't want to be surrounded by other oldies on their last legs. Couldn't imagine anything more depressing.

you make some excellent points...care in nursing homes in nz varies considerably.they are expensive too..my father was in a good one, but---a lot of the people were like cabbages, somebody died daily..thats depressing..

for me-i will just pay a qualified live-in career, in thailand...

if i get too 'useless', my family will take me back to nz---

its all a bity scary. we have to plan ahead a little, but im not spending too much time thinking about being old...

• Like 1