PDF-compatible E-reading options?

There ain't an Eng-language bookstore worth half a rat's ass anywhere near me.

I guess this means I need one of those hi-tech electronic reading gadgets.

I was thinking about getting a Kindle, but I read that you have to “register” it with one particular country, which makes it difficult/impossible to purchase new books once in a different country.

As I really don't know where I'm gonna be in 3-4 months, this probably ain't a good option.

Does anyone know of an easy-to-carry E-reading device onto which I can transfer PDFs from my laptop ?

Do they have something of this sort at Big C or Tesco or some sort of chain store ?

You can download a pdf reader on any  tablet. You can buy an android  tablet cheap at Lazada or big c. I am from Australia and I have membership cards for several libraries and I downloaded a program called borrowing. I can go to any of the libraries and borrow books for free. I'm sure is the same in most countries. Maybe you can get someone in your home country to set up an online account for you and then can read for free. 

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:46 AM, BananaBandit said:

I was thinking about getting a Kindle, but I read that you have to “register” it with one particular country, which makes it difficult/impossible to purchase new books once in a different country.

I don't now who told you that, but they're wrong.  I bought a Kindle in Thailand, or rather, ordered and had it sent to a Thai address, years ago, and have bought, and had books downloaded to it, in many countries since then.  You can also install the Kindle App on your phone or tablet, and get the books synchronised between how ever many devices you own, no matter where they are.

On 7/21/2019 at 11:05 PM, BananaBandit said:

Yeah, the "one country" restriction seemed rather strange to me. 

Never heard of this. I have free Kindle App on my smart phone, it works fine in any country. There's also a Kindle app for PC if needed. I just download ebooks best (many free on torrents), but it reads PDF as well. Just transfer files between PC and Kindle using normal file to file transfer methods.

On 7/18/2019 at 2:55 AM, Chrisdoc said:

I am from Australia and I have membership cards for several libraries and I downloaded a program called borrowing. I can go to any of the libraries and borrow books for free. I'm sure is the same in most countries. Maybe you can get someone in your home country to set up an online account for you and then can read for free. 

I went to my local library (Las Vegas) and got a membership number.  Then I went to the library website and signed up to borrow Kindle books online through the Overdrive website.  Of course they don't have every book but they will accept suggestions and many times they've acquired a book that I requested.  I think you need an Amazon account also.  I already had an Amazon account but it should be no problem to create one.

Edited: FREE!

For the popular books you may have to put yourself on a waitlist.  Overall the process is quite simple and effective.

As stated by others you can find a Kindle reader program for every popular computer or device.

I love books but with my old age failing eyesight reading e-books on my very good but cheap Teclast 8" tablet is the way to go.

I do buy promotion-priced Kindle books on Amazon but I download most of my library on free PDF on the Internet.

I recommend using the website PDFDRIVE which collations all PDF freely available print on the Internet.

Also Gutenberg lists out of copyright books in several languages.

BTW I do recommend getting a tablet rather than the Amazon Kindle which restricts to only Amazon Kindle books.

Just download on your tablet the free Amazon Kindle app if you want to order and read Amazon e-books.

6 hours ago, jayceenik said:

BTW I do recommend getting a tablet rather than the Amazon Kindle which restricts to only Amazon Kindle books.

Just download on your tablet the free Amazon Kindle app if you want to order and read Amazon e-books.

This restriction doesn't exist.

The Kindle accepts PDF files and non-DRM mobi (kindle format) files. You can also easily convert epub files to Kindle format and transfer it to the device using a program like Calibre.

However, most PDFs look like crap on the Kindle. So, to OP, if you really want to read PDFs, your best bet is probably a normal tablet. I've heard the Kobo ereaders are much better with PDFs, since you can change the software, but I think they're hard to come by in Thailand.

My Kindle is great for what it is, but I have a ton of PDFs of older or more obscure books that aren't available in a normal ebook form, and the Kindle doesn't handle them well at all. Especially if they're scanned.

I went to my local library (Las Vegas) and got a membership number.  Then I went to the library website and signed up to borrow Kindle books online through the Overdrive website.  Of course they don't have every book but they will accept suggestions and many times they've acquired a book that I requested.  I think you need an Amazon account also.  I already had an Amazon account but it should be no problem to create one.

Edited: FREE!

For the popular books you may have to put yourself on a waitlist.  Overall the process is quite simple and effective.

As stated by others you can find a Kindle reader program for every popular computer or device.
My spellcheck changed the program name to borrowing but it is meant to be Borrowbox. No Amazon account needed in Aus. Is great.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If the OP likes to read for long periods at a time, then an e-reader is a much better choice than a tablet.  Tablet displays cycle at 50-60 Htz and are strongly backlit, thus tiring or the eyes.  They are also usually significantly heavier.   E-readers display does not cycle and the page lighting is softer and more adjustable. Much easier on the eyes for any more than an hour's reading. E-readers usually have much longer battery life as well.

Kindles are excellent and I have had no problems or complaints with my now 5 year old Paperwhite. There are other good options though.  Kindle dominates the US market because of Amazon but there are a number of excellent e-readers more popular in Europe, Kobe for one.  There are also a number of "Professional" level e-readers with larger displays, stylus capability and finer displays.   The OP can find a very good selection on AliExpress.

Archived