Pattaya Today, Thursday 16th

Pilotman

I was down to Central Festival a couple days ago to stock up on some books. Did a stop at TukCom first to drop off an old laptop at a repair shop. Place seemed as busy as normal (and hard to find a spot to park a scooter like normal).

Rode down to Central Festival after. Pattaya Tai and 2nd Road were as busy as they usually seem to be for mid-week afternoon. 

Scooter parking in Central was chock-a-block full (on both levels). Central itself seemed as busy as ever. Never went to the food court though. Got to the book store and spent some time leisurely browsing before selecting 4 new books and heading on my way.

The scooter parking area was so crowded when I got back to my bike that I had to move 2 others so I could get out.

Was planning on stopping at Foodland on the way home but, as noted, Pattaya Klang has some heavy construction in progress. No problem. Hadn't gone down #2 road past Klang in ages so I scooted along trying to pick out places I remembered. How long since I was last down there ? The last time I was there, "Central Marina" was still "Big C North" (or "Nua"). A lot of changes in that area since I was last there but at least I still remembered the shortcut to get over to #3 road.

Got to Foodland and it was as crowded as it usually seems to be. So much so that I decided to forgo eating at Took Lae Dee. Did my shopping and went back to TukCom (via #3 road) to pick up the laptop. I knew it was a good day when I got a parking spot right next to the door.

On my way home I got to the Pattaya Tai/Sukhumvit intersection and something was screwed up. We couldn't cross the Suk or make a right turn. Of course this meant that all the traffic that had been trying to do that now had to make a left and head down Sukhumvit the other way and then try to turn around and come back (as the traffic heading south that was already on Sukhumvit was proceeding as per normal). No idea why we couldn't make the turn, no sign of ambulances or an accident. Just some traffic cones and a traffic cop blowing his whistle.

Went down to the second U-Turn and had a long wait as the traffic coming from Central was non-stop. Was finally able to cross and take some small sois to get get to the railway bypass road and then down to Boonsamphan.

All in all, a good outing. Fairly busy everywhere I went but not so much that it caused much of a problem (other than the detour in Central Pattaya and the ride home but that was just a few extra minutes on a nice day with fine weather).

Certainly nothing to whine about or cause to rant and rave and drive the blood pressure up ! Nothing was overcrowded, but nothing was what you might consider "empty" either. I saw plenty of baht buses that were half-full to full. Saw lots of tourists on the streets and in the shops (and most were caucasian actually). Nothing looked out of the ordinary from what I could see.

For me, it was just another day in paradise (or as close to paradise as I'll probably ever get) !

I always get the name wrong, is it Royal Garden mall? Any way I keep seeing posts about it's demise. Went to eat lunch at Foodland and saw about 30-40 Indians waiting in line to get into Sizzler.

Since in the past I have heard Indians order burgers at McDonalds with "no salad", I was surprised that they apparently there for all you can eat salad bar.

i am grateful to all the indians in pattaya since they created the demand for lots of indian restaurants to try and some great food at that

even found a place making shawarma sandwiches with tika sause

13 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Why does the OP travel to a place he clearly detests just so he can tell others about how much he detests it?

Nothing better to do?

Makes you wonder about these types.  Perhaps bested by a ladyboy, and has an Axe to grind?

On 7/18/2019 at 8:38 PM, Jingthing said:

That food court still exists. Just moved to the beach side. Is that permanent? I don't know but it kind of looks like it is. But that begs the question what's going to be in the old space?

I've heard two main lines of speculation.  One version claims the old Food Court will provide space for the expansion of Central Food Hall, i.e., the supermarket. The other version says the boarded-off area will house more stalls and seating, creating a giant food court with both cheap and more expensive dishes.

I took these pics about a week ago around 8.30 p.m.  The new Food Park was busy but by no means crowded.  The old Food Park had often been rammed, even in low season.

IMG_0333.jpg.77af71001bfd2b3fde94caacad25e627.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg.d92e3e616e29fe5d4152e7ff707d5e3a.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg.2d7690f4653af59b6015c4ea49c81652.jpg

On 7/18/2019 at 5:50 PM, galt67 said:

The food court at CF has been permanently(?) re-located to the Beach front side of the mall.

And Second road work, as stated, is to 'bury' most (all?) of the unsightly cables.

'Tatty'? 'Run down'?

You're correct. Perhaps your 'jaundiced eye.'

I have yet to see a Thai town that doesn't look tatty and run down during daylight hours

Lived in Jomtien for 9 years, left the area 5 yrs ago.

The absolute best thing I ever did.

Not going to list the many reasons why but having lived there for 9 yrs I can say it just goes further down every year.

First few years we went back 3-4 times a yr to visit friends but now dont ever plan on going back.

up north is kilometers better by far

An alternative view. 

1. Several Indian families and single Indians as opposed to the groups of 5 drinking in Falang bars and one to one with Thai gf's

2. Central Plaza food Hall has been moved and the old on boarded up but take a trip to Terminal 21, the food Hall there is second to none. 

3.  The Pattaya Klang underpass actually works and is not a swimming pool

4.  Take a look at the new beach.

5.  As for fewer tourists, it's low season and blame immigration rules, not Pattaya. 

21 hours ago, kenk24 said:

obviously they liked it at one time... the first time I was there it was just a dusty road w/some bungalows around... but that was in 1974... things change, places change, and people change too... it is not that difficult to understand though... guys go in there and it is very exciting for them at first... then they get sick of it. 

So you're saying they lost interest in the shiny objects that first caught their attention and/or it's a consequence of male menopause.

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

So you're saying they lost interest in the shiny objects that first caught their attention and/or it's a consequence of male menopause.

Burn out probably sums most of it up.... and what a shame that many who are entranced by the neon lights don't ever get out into the culture that these lovely ladies come from... Minnie Mouse has a life beyond her job. 

and when the reality is exposed, the end result is an angry TVF poster. 

What I find strange about the majority of the posts here is that they consider "Pattaya" to be a very small place, covering about 1 sq km, its a big place, there's another 20+ km of "Pattaya", personally I stopped enjoying the 1 sq km that is downtown years ago, the rest of Pattaya that isn't trying to make money from tourists is still enjoyable, some great restaurants and shops in "Pattaya" though you may have to travel away from the downtown area to find them, but why would any resident want to live downtown!

On 7/20/2019 at 4:02 PM, Enoon said:

When I look at your profile image I see a brown genie with their hands on their hips, a big black nose with a broad brown grin underneath, winking at me and sporting an outrageous quiff.

I place it #2 after the Llama (or was it an Alpaca?) in your image top 10.

I saw exactly that also!

It wasn't until I went back to look again that I saw it involved coffee and a cup. Wow.

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

I was yesterday in Pattaya, but when I saw the shops I was doubting if I was in Pattaya or in Irak.

14588.jpg

14589.jpg

Lots of Malaysians in town at the moment. They are Muslims.

Any Iraqis in Pattaya will be male; the ladies are left at home - guess why.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:04 PM, Pilotman said:
  • Very quite, even for supposed low season.  More Indians, in groups, ( a lot of them) walking around than farangs, who were notable by their scarcity.
  • Central Plaza food hall is closed, presumably for renovation, coffee shops had lots of empty seats, some shops have obviously closed down.  The others very quiet.
  • They are digging up parts of Second Road so the traffic was still bad, despite volumes being noticeably down.  Maybe that was a Thursday effect. not sure.
  • Bhat busses seemed to be wandering around with very few passengers.  Taxis were stationary or running empty. I didn't see one taxi with any passengers, most seemed to be just parked up. 

Farangs have been scarce since the night scene was destroyed by Purachai. Should have been there last century- the place rocked.

Is that Central Festival? It went upmarket for the Russians, but probably too pricy for others, and with the Russians gone ………...

Baht buses have always run around with few customers before midnight, when there are less of them.

On 7/23/2019 at 8:01 AM, champers said:

Lots of Malaysians in town at the moment. They are Muslims.

Any Iraqis in Pattaya will be male; the ladies are left at home - guess why.

Probably to do the ironing and count their husbands Money, could be wrong though.

Archived