New TV

lelapin

I am planning to buy a new 55" TV. In addition to obviously having a high definition clear picture I am particularly interested in one with high quality sound due to my deteriorating hearing. I don't really need a smart TV as I will have my laptop linked to it.

Any recommendations.

I too have deteriating hearing and have trouble hearing the TV. As far as I know most TVs only have only a couple of 5 watt speakers installed in them, totally inadequate. I have found that by buying a good quality soundbar is an answer, it certainly improves my listening to the tv anyway. Others may have other ideas.

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

I too have deteriating hearing and have trouble hearing the TV. As far as I know most TVs only have only a couple of 5 watt speakers installed in them, totally inadequate. I have found that by buying a good quality soundbar is an answer, it certainly improves my listening to the tv anyway. Others may have other ideas.

Bluetooth headphones.  I use Bluedio T6 and Jabra Elite 65T depending on what I want.  My TV is non bluetooth so had to buy an adapter from Lazada to broadcast Bluetooth.  I also have sound bar for regular listening.  You can also get normal headphones with a cord.   

The advantage of the Jabra is you can listen to sounds outside of the earpiece if you need to hear the doorbell or dog or phone.  

If buying a new TV make sure it has bluetooth 5.0 would be my choice or 4.2 if the 5.0 is not available.  

12 minutes ago, lelapin said:

high quality sound due to my deteriorating hearing

A bit hard to understand as we normally do not need as high quality sound as our hearing goes as often high freqs are a thing of the past.  Perhaps be good to have an audio output jack so you could attach headphones?  Or perhaps you mean can run loud enough without a lot of distortion?  They have sound systems to attach which many people find useful (I have not heard myself).  

Bluetooth headphones.  I use Bluedio T6 and Jabra Elite 65T depending on what I want.  My TV is non bluetooth so had to buy an adapter from Lazada to broadcast Bluetooth.  I also have sound bar for regular listening.  You can also get normal headphones with a cord.   

The advantage of the Jabra is you can listen to sounds outside of the earpiece if you need to hear the doorbell or dog or phone.  

If buying a new TV make sure it has bluetooth 5.0 would be my choice or 4.2 if the 5.0 is not available.  
Can you provide a link to the blue tooth adaptor..? I assume the TV just needs a USB slot for it?

As we age our hearing deteriorates... particularly in the higher frequency ranges.

And as has already been said, the speakers in most TV's these days are totally inadequate.

Perhaps a pair of powered speakers or a soundbar or even a cheap surround sound system will do if you don't want to go down the headphones route.

There have been a few topics in this forum about options... have a look here, here, and here.

Here is a link to the PowerBuy home theater systems web page... a few options there for consideration unless you want to go upmarket.

Read some reviews of TCL brand TV's  Until recently they were a throwaway brand found in discount stores but in the last 3 years they greatly improved their product and have become the best value TV's anywhere. 

I bought a basic 55" TCL last year on Lazada for B11,000.  I used the money I saved for a decent B5000 soundbar and I am really happy with the combination.  I also have hearing issues and sometimes movies have poor soundtracks.  In that case I use wired headphones as I find their sound quality exceeds bluetooth headphones.  I use a cable extension so they comfortably reach my chair.

Archived