Question RE: Cancellation Processes (Non-B ext.)

Hi all,

I've been digging around the forums for the past couple of hours, but I'm still confused about more than a few things! Please forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, but I just want to be absolutely clear on the cancellation process so that I don't end up with an overstay or anything else that could complicate things for my new job.

Basically, tomorrow (Friday) is my last day of employment at my current school. I have been informed that the HR team here will handle the cancellation of the work permit, but my understanding is that I need to cancel the visa extension (which expires next year) by myself at CW IO. My question is, can I cancel and get the 7-days without waiting for my employer to cancel the WP? Due to timing and university regulations (so I've been told), they likely cannot cancel the WP until next week (by which point I plan to be in Laos getting a TR visa for my new school). However, the current school can provide a letter stating my last day of employment as tomorrow. Will that be sufficient for canceling the extension of stay at Chaengwattana? Even if the work permit isn't canceled until the following week?

I would leave the country tomorrow evening, but I'm moving apartments this weekend. Therefore, I plan to leave Thailand via train to Nong Khai/Vientiane this coming Sunday/Monday and come back to Thailand with a 60 day tourist visa (as advised by the new school). My appointment at the Vientiane consulate has already been set for next Wednesday (24th July). Should I expect any issues crossing at Nong Khai if I have a copy of the termination letter and, I assume, some kind of cancellation stamp in my passport? I plan to fly back into DMK a few days later. Any obvious flaws I'm missing in these plans?

Sorry for the oft-repeated n00b questions, but thanks in advance for the assistance! I'm happy to provide any further info to clarify my situation. 

With the letter from the school you could cancel it tomorrow but you will have to a apply for an extension pay the 1900 baht fee and get 7 days to leave the country after it is denied. There has not been a free 7 days for several years.

My advice: Don't fly back from Vientiane.  Enter by land with your new Tourist Visa at Nong Khai (friendly entry-point).  Then, fly to Bangkok Domestic from Udon Thanni airport (a short van-ride).  

Edited by JackThompson