Need advice on best visa before I turn 50

I'll be retiring to Thailand on the 26th of August this year (departure flight) and will be turning 50 in mid January of 2020, so I have about 5 months before I can apply for a non-O based on retirement. I originally planned to apply for a METV here in America, but the 15 day processing time (when you factor shipping delays) worries me, also the real possibility of the visa being denied. I have also read on another forum that you must not only provide proof of your original flight reservation but also in-out flights for each of the 60 days when you depart Thailand--this can't be right, can it? At any rate, the METV seems too iffy to me now, so am looking for any advice as to what my best options are to pass this 5 months before I can apply for the non-O.

Also, when I booked my flight I just selected a date on November 14th that got me the best ticket price, since I wouldn't be using the return ticket anyway, but now I'm wondering if the late return date could cause me problems when applying for another visa (ie, SETV), or a tourist visa stamp. Should I change the return date for the ticket to a date BEFORE the visa/stamp expires. Does it matter? Thanks!

Edited by OthmarB

I did end up changing my return ticket date to Sept. 24th. 

One scenario I was thinking:

Enter Thailand on visa-on-arrival, get a 1-month extension on that = 2 months. Before that expires, take a 2-3 week trip to Vietnam. Apply for a SETV there = 2 months plus 1 month extension. Total = 5 months. I turn 50 on January 16th. Would this work? THE SETV requires a return ticket out of Thailand so I'm not sure how I'd handle that. Just get a cheap flight-out ticket to wherever? 

I'm trying to avoid having to apply for a SETV or METV in the States since it is now the 18th of July, the processing time alone can take "a minimum of 15 days" and then there is the shipping back and forth delays. So I'd be pushing my luck if I need to depart on the 26th of August, at which time I might be bereft of my passport.  

1 hour ago, OtinPattaya said:

the processing time alone can take "a minimum of 15 days" and then there is the shipping back and forth delays.

Instead of wasting time in this forum, just apply for a SETV. I am 100% sure you will get your passport with visa before the end of the month

Edited by onera1961

3 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Instead of wasting time in this forum, just apply for a SETV. I am 100% sure you will get your passport with visa before the end of the month

That's what i was thinking-just pull the trigger on the SETV. I have a full month. I can't imagine it would take longer than that. 

4 minutes ago, buick said:

i applied for an SETV via mail from the consulate in Los Angeles many times.  it never took longer than two weeks to get my passport back (i was in the seattle area at the time).

Many thanks for this reply. I was hoping someone with past experience with the LA consulate and the SETV would relate his own experience. 

• Like 1

i looked into getting an METV from the los angeles consulate but they wanted a 'proof of employment letter'.  since i was retired, that wasn't possible.  i think i read some people got around this issue in some way but i can't recall how.

getting an SETV from LA and then another one from a country in the region (vietnam or laos) wouldn't be too rough.  then you can convert your tourist entry into a non imm O at your local immigration office in thailand.  some offices don't do the conversion though, so keep that in mind.  not sure where you plan to live.

3 minutes ago, OthmarB said:

when you applied for the setv in LA, any weird requirements or suggestions?

very straightforward stuff.  copy of bank statement showing at least $700 and proof of return flight.  sometimes i had a real return flight within the 60 day period and other times i just bought a 'throw away' ticket on thai air asia.  they have some very cheap one way fares from bangkok to KUL.

as i recall, you've got to use USPS for the delivery to los angeles and include a return envelope via USPS.  no Fed Ex.  so the toughest part of the process was going to the post office.  never enjoyed the post office.

49 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could also apply for a single entry tourist visa at one of the honorary consulates in person if one is near you.

See: https://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/

Hi, ubonjoe, unfortunately, none of the consulates are even remotely close to me. New York, Washington, or LA. I hail from Arizona. 

Edited by OthmarB

3 hours ago, OthmarB said:

That's what i was thinking-just pull the trigger on the SETV. I have a full month. I can't imagine it would take longer than that. 

OP, just another one to add to others mentioned. Enter Thailand visa exempt stamp and extend. Fly to Saigon. Easy cheap and fun joint. Good consulate and easy to get to. Obtain setv. Back to bkk. 60 days + extend.

Take a relax break in undon thani and get another visa exempt friendship bridge. Back again extend. 

Many easy ways.

Edited by DrJack54

4 hours ago, buick said:

i looked into getting an METV from the los angeles consulate but they wanted a 'proof of employment letter'.  since i was retired, that wasn't possible.  i think i read some people got around this issue in some way but i can't recall how.

getting an SETV from LA and then another one from a country in the region (vietnam or laos) wouldn't be too rough.  then you can convert your tourist entry into a non imm O at your local immigration office in thailand.  some offices don't do the conversion though, so keep that in mind.  not sure where you plan to live.

I am also self-employed and there is basically 0 info on this on all the million pages on thaivisa.com. 

41 minutes ago, OtinPattaya said:

I am also self-employed and there is basically 0 info on this on all the million pages on thaivisa.com. 

41 minutes ago, OtinPattaya said:

It gets a little weird when you're,self-employed. 

OP,

i'm not sure how you plan to bring/transfer your USD to thailand in order to satisfy the 800,000thb in the bank requirement.  my bank in the USA (wells fargo) limited my overseas transfers to 5,000usd per transfer and 15,000usd per month.  i had assumed i could just transfer 25,000usd at one time and be done with it.  with those limitations on transfer amounts, i ended up having to delay getting the non imm O visa for a year.  i won't bore people with the specifics on that story but just be aware of that issue, you may want to check with your financial institution to see what your transfer options are (or plan to carry the cash with you).

OthmarB...

Also live in AZ.  Used LA consulate for single and 2 METV over the last 3 years.  Always received visa and passport returned in 8-12 days.  Was also able to email directly...asking for status updates...and always answered within 24 hours.

Have found reliable and professional attention from them.

Not to worry!