Can I change Single Entry OA to Multi Entry OA

I have a single entry OA visa, and purchased  're-entry permit' as I am now out of due to work. I will be heading back to Thailand in 2 weeks so that 'Re-Entry Permit' will be used up. Now, I have been speaking to a colleague who has just gone back to Thailand just before his Multi Entry OA visa expired. He has told me that they gave him another year extension at the airport on his way back in, he then went to Immigration in Hua Hin and got a multli entry permit. Would I be able to get another year on my 'Re-Entry Permit' or could I get a multi entry permit at Immigration in Khon Kaen and leave Thailand just before my OA Visa expiry date and get the freebie one year extension when I come back in. I hope that this makes sense to someone as everything I have read up to now on it all is about as clear as MUD.

As a note my OA visa expires 17 Feb 2020 and it is my first OA visa.

I am sure your OA visa issued by an embassy or official consulate in your home country is a multiple entry visa since they are only issued as multiple entry visas.

If you enter the country prior to the day your OA visa expires you will get a new one year permit to stay (it is not an extension).

After your visa expires you can get a single or multiple re-entry permit to keep that last one year entry valid.

Then shortly before that last one year permit to stay ends you would need to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement or make a trip home to apply for a new OA visa.

16 minutes ago, EXSUB64 said:

As a note my OA visa expires 17 Feb 2020 and it is my first OA visa.

Is that the date your visa expires (1), or the date your permit to stay stamp/re-entry permit expires (2)?

If (1) you’ll receive a new 1 year permit to stay on re-entry.

If (2) you’ll be stamped in until Feb 17th 2020.

Like @ubonjoe, I am assuming you really do have an O-A visa (always multiple entry) and not something else. On that basis, forget the reentry permit you unnecessarily purchased. You do not want to use it. On your return to Thailand, put the visa number of your O-A visa on the TM6 (entry) card. Put a big reminder in your passport to check that the immigration official gives you a one-year permission to stay. The re-entry permit has the potential to create confusion.

12 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Yes there is. 

With a 1 year O-A visa there is no requirement for a re-entry permit during the fist year. You can leave and return during that year every week if you want and get a 1 year stamp each time therefor it is multi entry for the first year.

The second year requires a re-entry permit.

45 minutes ago, asiaexpat said:

Non-OA visa is issued for one year and is multiple entry, period.What embassy issues a single entry OA? 

The Thai Consulate in Los Angeles used to issue only a single entry O-A for retirement (not a multi).  They used to say on their website that they could not issue a multiple O-A visa there... only single ones.  That is the reason I sent my paperwork to the Thai Embassy in D.C. (only multiple entry issued there).  They now issue multiple O-A visas at L.A.

Here is a copy and paste from The Thai Embassy in Stockholm showing Single O-A and Multi O-A available (priced differently).  If I remember correctly, the single has a 90 day "enter by" date and the multi has a 1 year "enter by" date.  The Multi entry always costs more.  Shanghai also says single or multiple O-A available.

link:    http://thaiembassy.se/en/non-immigrant-visa-o-retirement-visa/

This Type of visa is granted to a person who is retired and receive pension from government. 

DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

Quick Check list

• Application form (click here to download)
  • Original passport
  • Copy of passport (the page with your information)
  • Two photographs
  • Pension certificate from Pensionsmyndigheten/ Försäkringskassan 
  • Pension statement showing at least 18 500 SEK in pension income per month after taxes 
  • Or Bank statements) with an amount of at least 57 000 SEK
  • Personbevis
  • Visa Fee. 700 SEK, single entry
    1750 SEK, multiple entries

Required Document in detail

1. Application form. Completed and signed (Click here to download) 
  2. Original Passport with a validity of at least 6 months For single entry and 18 months for Multiple entries. It should have at least two empty visa pages. Copy of passport on A4 paper size, do not cut or alter the copy. Page with your face and information on it.
  3. Two photographs, size approximately 3cm. x 5cm. Front facing and not older than six months. No homemade photographs.
  4. Pension certificate. A certificate showing that you are retired from Pensionsmyndigheten.
  5. Pension Statement. A document that shows how much pension you'll get each month. You must have at least 18 500 SEK after tax. You may combine different pension income.
  6. Bank statements. If your monthly income is lower than 18 500 SEK. You may use your bank statement with an amount of at least 57 000 SEK. We do not accept Funds or Stock market investment.

VISA FEE

• 700 SEK for single entry
  • 1750 SEK for Multiple entries (permitted to stay up to max 90 days/entry)
  • Visa fee paid in CASH ONLY when submitting the application.
  • Visa fee may be changed without prior notice
  • The visa application fee is not refundable.

Note

• The Embassy does not provide copy or printing service. 
  • The Embassy reserves the right to request additional documents.
  •  The Embassy will REJECT your visa application if your document above is not completed.
  • Do not apply for a visa earlier than 3 months before your arrival date to Thailand.
  • The Embassy will not return the fee paid for visa application in case the applicants apply for visa too early than 3 months so that the applicants MUST check period of stay and arrival date to Thailand by yourself carefully.

• Thanks 1

From Siam Legal:

https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-visa/Thailand-Retirement-Visa.php

Things You Need To Know About The Thai Retirement Visa:

• Thailand retirement visa is the popular term for "Non-Immigrant OA-Long Stay Visa".
  • The visa can be valid either for a single entry or multiple entries.
  • This is a long term Thai visa that entitles the holder a stay of 1 year in Thailand.
  • The visa is renewable every year and the renewal process can be done inside Thailand (requirements for the visa renewal still apply).
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

With a 1 year O-A visa there is no requirement for a re-entry permit during the fist year. You can leave and return during that year every week if you want and get a 1 year stamp each time therefor it is multi entry for the first year.

The second year requires a re-entry permit.

What does any of that have anything to do with the wrong statement by @fishtank

1 hour ago, asiaexpat said:

Non-OA visa is issued for one year and is multiple entry, period.What embassy issues a single entry OA? 

These days probably few to don’t know. They make more money by only offering the ME.

9 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

From Siam Legal:

https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-visa/Thailand-Retirement-Visa.php

• Thailand retirement visa is the popular term for "Non-Immigrant OA-Long Stay Visa".
  • The visa can be valid either for a single entry or multiple entries.
  • This is a long term Thai visa that entitles the holder a stay of 1 year in Thailand.
  • The visa is renewable every year and the renewal process can be done inside Thailand (requirements for the visa renewal still apply).

False information from a commercial law firm.

1750 SEK for Multiple entries (permitted to stay up to max 90 days/entry)

That is referring to multiple entry non-o visa that only allows a 90 day entry.

A most of us are fully aware a OA visa allows a one year entry.

Another case of the wrong terminology being used and then incorrect and misleading info on that website.

10 hours ago, elviajero said:

Yes there is. 

Embassies and official Thai consulates have not issued single entry OA visas for over a decade.

If you can show proof that they are then please post that info.

This from the MFA website that has info about a OA visa. 

"4. Visa fee
            5,000 Baht for multiple entries"

Source: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html

No mention of the 2000 baht fee for single entry visa on that page.

• Thanks 1

Just to clarify a few things. I obtained my Non OA Visa for retirement, with a single Re-Entry permit in Thailand, through an agent, with a permitted extension of stay until xx Feb 2020. I have now used that Re-Entry permit as I worked abroad for a short while. Now, if buy another Re-Entry permit from Immigration and leave Thailand and Re-Enter just before my Non OA permitted extension date expires will I get another year permission to stay automatically from immigration at airport. Or is this only for people who get NON OA from their own country with a multi entry stamp. 

Many thanks in advance

Edited by EXSUB64
Typos
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, EXSUB64 said:

I obtained my Non OA Visa for retirement, with a single Re-Entry permit in Thailand, through an agent, with a permitted extension of stay until xx Feb 2020. I have now used that Re-Entry permit as I worked abroad for a short while.

You apparently do not have a valid OA visa issued by a embassy or consulate. You have a one year extension of stay issued by immigration that expires in February 2020.

If you had a single re-entry permit it is no longer valid for entry. You will need to get a new single re-entry permit or a multiple re-entry permit.

24 minutes ago, EXSUB64 said:

Just to clarify a few things. I obtained my Non OA Visa for retirement, with a single Re-Entry permit in Thailand, through an agent, with a permitted extension of stay until xx Feb 2020. I have now used that Re-Entry permit as I worked abroad for a short while. Now, if buy another Re-Entry permit from Immigration and leave Thailand and Re-Enter just before my Non OA permitted extension date expires will I get another year permission to stay automatically from immigration at airport. Or is this only for people who get NON OA from their own country with a multi entry stamp. 

Many thanks in advance

Tonray, I'm confused and I wrote the bloody thing 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, EXSUB64 said:

Many thanks in advance

You do not have a O-A Visa.

You have a 12 month extension of stay.

A Re Entry Permit will protect your Feb 2020 permision to stay.

It will not add time.

Edited by fishtank

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

You apparently do not have a valid OA visa issued by a embassy or consulate. You have a one year extension of stay issued by immigration that expires in February 2020.

If you had a single re-entry permit it is no longer valid for entry. You will need to get a new single re-entry permit or a multiple re-entry permit.

Ubonjoe, many thanks for that. Now I think I understand. So if I buy the multi or single entry permit, leave and return just before my extension date expires will I get the next extension stamp at airport on return? 

5 minutes ago, fishtank said:

You do not have a O-A Visa.

You have a 12 month extension of stay.

A Re Entry Permit will protect your Feb 2020 permision to stay.

It will not add time.

Thanks for that. What would be best plan to stay with respect to extension post XX Feb 2020?

2 minutes ago, EXSUB64 said:

So if I buy the multi or single entry permit, leave and return just before my extension date expires will I get the next extension stamp at airport on return? 

No

You will only be stamped in until the day in February when your extension ends. You will have to apply for a new extension of stay at immigration prior to that date.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

No

You will only be stamped in until the day in February when your extension ends. You will have to apply for a new extension of stay at immigration prior to that date.

Normal routine then, money in bank/proven monthly income or combination.

1 hour ago, EXSUB64 said:

will I get the next extension stamp at airport on return? 

No, new extensions are only available at immigration offices and must be applied for.

You will be stamped in according to the date on your re-entry permit, ie, your current extension.

Edited by jacko45k