Tourists’ safety my priority, says Thailand’s new Tourism and Sports Minister

Jonathan Fairfield

7 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

More safety to the tourist he say???

Ah...now I understand why he need my 10 fingers when I come to the LOS, but forgive me to say,  I got strong feelings it's because the Thai government is thinking we farangs are all criminals.

Otherwise he have to explain me why I have to give the fingers and his own people not, maybe a bit racism to??

You should of just given the one finger.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Well I think it's nice of him to say so even if it should obviously be a priority to look after your guests (I think there is a new priority now though, stop ripping off the tourists)

Ripping off farangs is a full on sport and he's going to make sure no tourists are harmed while being fleeced. 

2 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Failed to disclose assets and debts.

All should be banned using that barometer !!

If all govt. officials were required to disclose assets or be banned... 

1 hour ago, eggers said:

It seems the Thai Gov'tonly has eyes for Tourist money, how about taking care of 100s of 000's of Expats living here!!! 

A number of Expat friends are considering if will stay or leave due to increasing Gov't/ Bureaucratic interference almost daily,  w/ latest stupid imposition of TM 30 requirement.

Time PM Prayut & ministers Gov't, realise how much money Expats spend in this country..... Day in, Day out ....

Year in, Year out.... Billions & Billions of Baht!!

Fine take care of Tourists , but forget about US at  YOUR peril!! 

This pay day is coming soon.  

One problem with mainland Chinese tourists is that they are only short-term visitors as they are not allowed to be out of China for more than 30 days at a time, an exit visa being required every time they leave. So, the hotels may do well from them but those of us with condos for rent are losing out as we are not allowed to let a unit for less than 30 days.

15 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

ensuring the safety of tourists is his most urgent task.

Well, good luck with that, given the problems they have in ensuring the safety of their own citizens.

15 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Pipat said on July 18: “Thailand needs to give tourists the confidence to visit the country.”

What he really means is that "Thailand needs to give Chinese tourists the confidence to visit the country." Everybody else be damned.

As they like to say in Oklahoma, show me. Talk is very cheap. Anyone can talk. Anyone can make declarations, promises and verbal commitments. Only real men and women can and do keep their promises. Words, backed up with action, and concrete steps to insure tourist and public (you need to keep you own people safe too, right? Or don't they count for much?) safety will convince us of your sincerity. As of now, we have to presume you are insincere, since you are an appointee of the army. The army nearly never keeps it's word on any promise, and has shown over many years, that it cares very little for either tourists, ex-pats, or the common Thai. 

15 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Keyword is China. 

Thais are not suddenly caring about tourists. 

They care about money and are trying principally to get the Chinese back. 

Nothing else to see here. 

Exactamundo!!! ????????????

16 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

“possibility of holding a world-level trail running event [a sport that combines running with hiking], as well as e-sports” said Pipat

I kinda think that if they organised a world go-go/bar event combining alcohol and girls, that would attract more 

Tourists’ safety my priority: new minister

Does that mean doing something about the reckless drunk drivers, the dangerous roads, cars that don't slow down or 'stop' at zebra crossings, ad infinitum, or does it mean just creating an illusion from the plane when you are on final approach that everything is super cool and safe?

This included any special steps to encourage visitors from China, which provides the highest number of tourists. 

Ahh... the Chinese again. A few weeks ago, didn't someone say that westerners were the proper quality tourists, and still are, as Chinese didn't really spend much, or something like that? Guess you missed the memo, K. Pipat?

“Personally I think that our country is one of the world’s top destinations and we will try to invite tourists from countries with strong economies to visit Thailand,”

'Was', K. Pipat. 'WAS'. The 'top destination boat' has left, without Thailand. And now you're focussing on countries with 'strong economies'? That's just so typical of you thieving lot. Never mind that in just the previous paragraph, you said "... to make ALL tourists feel welcome." the Good luck.

We will spread our efforts on many groups, not any particular group...

But, but, but... you just said 'China' two short paragraphs ago???

3 hours ago, 30la said:

Good luck, minister, it's a lot of work waiting for you and I personally don't think you'll make it!

if he began by avoiding putting the cart before the horse?
And so by totally remodeling the Royal Thai Police so that it finally works effectively on the roads, seven days a week and 24 hours a day .. as it is in the first country of the class at the level of world tourism: France .
Create a mobile police, buy radar vehicles and not fixed speed cameras that everybody knows where they are 2 days after they are put into service.
Require coaches and minibuses to go to mines every six months as is done in France, no WiKi page in English, sorry,

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passage_aux_Mines

Require them to have a digital tachograph in operation and require the bosses of these companies to keep records for a period of at least one year ...

When all this will be done and implemented, a big step forward will have been made but I'm afraid it never happens in Thailand.

16 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Why not give all arrivals an Amulet to protect them from Evil Spirits and Brake Failures !

This is just a small example but some of my extended family visited Phuket last year for a wedding group. About 20 people in total...

..the grooms mother literally ended up with broken bones after the minivan driver crashed collecting them from the airport..

..good job mini van drivers ????????, dream wedding holiday ruined and another 20 tourists scared away from visiting Thailand forever..

..next.

Sorry, but I don't believe him anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They will never stop the dual pricing on tourists and guests.

They will never stop  the vendor saling overpriced products.

They will never stop speeding bus and van drivers, because they do not 

have these speeding capture cameras on the roads as in Germany or Switzerland.

They  will never.......

Just named a few, otherwise I would be too busy.

All this b/s just now being communicated from anyone and everyone purely because Thailand is going down the proverbial pan in terms of tourism.  

The problem is with the hefty decline in tourism you can see that the rip-off's will get even worse because those that make a living from tourists here need to try and re-coup their lost income. All that does it makes the decline even worse.

Try telling that to the young Chinese lady who stepped onto the pedestrian crossing right in front of a manned police box  when the

lights had turned green to get knocked over by a motorbike rider charging through a red light &

then tried to argue for 5 minutes that she should have been watching;

The Policeman did not even bother getting out of his box.

As long as this "Boss" is in command the police will do nothing to help unless there is a "buck" 

in it

18 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

“I think many people from around the world want to come to Thailand and we should stage big sports events here as it would help generate additional income for the country,” he said.

It's all about sucking the tourist foreigners money. No other way we are looked at.

18 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

and the Prime Minister has mentioned the possibility of holding a world-level trail running event [a sport that combines running with hiking], as well as e-sports” said Pipat

They already have great trail runs. I did a 20km last year in Chiang Rai. Where has he been?

'

18 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Why not go for the Soccer World cup? Thailand is perfectly qualified to make the under the table payments necessary, which seems to be the way Qatar got it. 

And therein lies the problem....you can't have 2 takers in a relationship, one of them has to be a giver for it to work....

3 hours ago, Jimdandy said:

Does that mean doing something about the reckless drunk drivers, the dangerous roads, cars that don't slow down or 'stop' at zebra crossings, ad infinitum, or does it mean just creating an illusion from the plane when you are on final approach that everything is super cool and safe?

Yep! Can talk the talk, but never walk the walk!!????????????

6 hours ago, SuwadeeS said:

Sorry, but I don't believe him anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They will never stop the dual pricing on tourists and guests.

They will never stop  the vendor saling overpriced products.

They will never stop speeding bus and van drivers, because they do not 

have these speeding capture cameras on the roads as in Germany or Switzerland.

They  will never.......

Just named a few, otherwise I would be too busy.

Maybe they can begin with the palace entry fee..

It’s 500 baht for foreigners (even if you are resident here and/ or work and pay taxes here)

thais go free

now I know that the palace must make money and Thais must be able to afford to visit but this clear example of ‘them and us’ fleecing jerks my chain 

Archived