Brit expat behind bars for attacking Phuket dog

Jonathan Fairfield

13 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

what a laugh- 'animal cruelty' in a country where cock fighting is legal (and they DO use blades) where animals like pigs are kept in appalling conditions and where they are quite happy to let millions of soi dogs wander about in various states of decay, and where even the house dogs are banged up like prisoners rarely taken out. We all know why dogs have special status and it's not religion.

Hmm.. sounds like this will be food for thought. I will let you know once i have processed your words and digested them as to what my opinion is

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

what a laugh- 'animal cruelty' in a country where cock fighting is legal (and they DO use blades) where animals like pigs are kept in appalling conditions and where they are quite happy to let millions of soi dogs wander about in various states of decay, and where even the house dogs are banged up like prisoners rarely taken out. We all know why dogs have special status and it's not religion.

yeah …. it's a bit like Australia where they have underground dog fights, caged chickens, pig pens so small they can barely turn around and cattle feed lots that are putrid with stench.

43 minutes ago, darrenr said:

Forgive me for my ignorance , how does a 43 year old get to stay in Thailand as an expat ? Is it because he has a wife and can get a non immigrant visa?

if he gets the visa exemption 30 day I heard Thai immigration is limiting these 2-3 x visa exemptions per year anymore and you could be turned away ?

thanks

If you are married to a Thai national you can get a 1 year Non-imm O multi entry visa. Only 90 day reporting. I've had this for 2 years now.

14 minutes ago, reargunnerph3 said:

Let sleeping dogs lie. If you go looking for trouble you usually find it. Remember it's not your country, your only a guest in Thailand so be very careful about how you act as deportation is very much on the cards, unless you have lots of cash of course. Not the smartest thing to do.

Another supid guest comment. Do you treat your guests like your treated here?

There are nine noisy dogs in the garden of my next door Thai neighbour which he can have a go at with my blessing. There're 15 more of the festering things in my small community of 7 houses which he's also welcome to sort out. There's constant noise from them almost 24/7. I haven't sat on my balcony for over three years now and have to keep all doors and windows shut, because when one of them kicks off, they all join in and the noise is horrendous. My Thai missus goes into panic mode if I say that I'm going to complain to next door or report it to the fuzz, so I have to live with it. Considering their size, why did the good lord have to give them such a loud bark? Why didn't he quit at the Basenji?

1 minute ago, jesimps said:

There are nine noisy dogs in the garden of my next door Thai neighbour which he can have a go at with my blessing. There're 15 more of the festering things in my small community of 7 houses which he's also welcome to sort out. There's constant noise from them almost 24/7. I haven't sat on my balcony for over three years now and have to keep all doors and windows shut, because when one of them kicks off, they all join in and the noise is horrendous. My Thai missus goes into panic mode if I say that I'm going to complain to next door or report it to the fuzz, so I have to live with it. Considering their size, why did the good lord have to give them such a loud bark? Why didn't he quit at the Basenji?

another guy who lost his pants to a thai lady? 555!

18 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

Upon completion of the Dara Resort, the dogs disappeared. The local vendors told me that they were rounded up - then fed to crocodiles.

Excellent idea - crocodile is nutritious and delicious meat  (dog is not)

Roaming - off leash dogs should be considered "abandoned" and euthanized and/or fed to crocodiles. 

As the wife cannot get him deported it seems to be more than acceptable, that Mr Mervyn Harding is more than ready to get beaten by a possibly rabies infected dog or mauled into decorative wounds and lifelong tattoos. 

Could anyone come up with the number of stray dogs in Thailand and the percentage of number of rabies? The Red Cross Institute at Henry Dunant Road in Bangkok, under Dr. Henry White - a Canadian rabies expert - already coughed up statistics 20+ years ago claiming more than 20 million stray dogs of which 1 in 40 would be rabies infected.

Just saying. 

It does not whitewash Mr Mervyn Harding's behaviour but if you apply a particular law in that incident you might turn Klong Toey into an open prison as I can see Thais over and over treating dogs (cats and other animals for that matter) very badly. 

13 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I can't help but wonder what the cops would have done if it was a local who had beaten the dog? I can't help but suspect a 500-1,000 baht fine, a wai and on his way. There have after all been many animal cruelty stories here and I don't recall any getting this treatment, even though I have to say the fella absolutely deserves it.

It wasn't just attacking the dog though. He broke into the property where it was kept.

You are still probably correct - had a Thai done the same, would the penalty have been the same?

55 minutes ago, inThailand said:

most likley just a crazy falang. dogs here are too lazy to bother with falangs, they do like hassling thai guys.

Oh really. I guess those bite scars on my legs are just in my imagination.

6 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

It wasn't just attacking the dog though. He broke into the property where it was kept. 

You are still probably correct - had a Thai done the same, would the penalty have been the same?

Trespass does not mean breaking and entering, it means going onto someone's property without their permission.

another example of the priorities here in Thailand.

he will be in jail for at least a month waiting for his trial.

all this for hitting a dog.

yet, a rich thai, can get drunk, kill a load of people in his car, do a couple of Wais to say sorry, pay a few quid, and walk away.

laughable

14 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I can't help but wonder what the cops would have done if it was a local who had beaten the dog? I can't help but suspect a 500-1,000 baht fine, a wai and on his way. There have after all been many animal cruelty stories here and I don't recall any getting this treatment, even though I have to say the fella absolutely deserves it.

You're probably right. But in many developing countries laws are applied differently to locals than to foreigners. They haven't got the benefit of politically correct liberals to enlighten them that foreigners must be treated better! ????

8 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

This case and the charges are probably just as heavily weighted on the trespass and related charges. It's probably something like criminal trespass with malicious intent, combined with some sort of vandalism or property rights of the owner (the dog) being violated. So, the cruelty to animal charge is probably just part of this case.

I've said many times that a dogs life is far more important than a farangs in LOS

He's in big trouble. Custodial sentence could be 2 years ...cops won't let him post bail incase he runs.

Solution.....pay a fine. My guess is the cops don't like this Brit. Baht 40,000 or stay put.

Rich kid kills cop in Ferrari ....no jail and keeps his clean passport.

Expect to see alot more farang being arrested with junta in power.

His Thai (wife) can whistle Dixie unless she comes up with the big wad of baht.

I've said many times that a dogs life is far more important than a farangs in LOS

He's in big trouble. Custodial sentence could be 2 years ...cops won't let him post bail incase he runs.

Solution.....pay a fine. My guess is the cops don't like this Brit. Baht 40,000 or stay put.

Rich kid kills cop in Ferrari ....no jail and keeps his clean passport.

Expect to see alot more farang being arrested with junta in power.

His Thai (wife) can whistle Dixie unless she comes up with the big wad of baht.

It's worth noting that the dog is 15 years old (per Daily Mirror article referenced above), that makes him 70+ in human terms; I do wonder at the man's motivation in attacking this elderly, and so presumably harmless, mutt.

14 hours ago, CLS said:

In civilized countries a trespassing results in a fine, surely no jail sentence.

TIT - what a retarded society

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Even that guy who climbed the the wall of Buckingham Palace to stroke the Queen's corgis (dogs) was only fined.

Archived