Brit expat behind bars for attacking Phuket dog

Jonathan Fairfield

Guess this post be again full of whinging westerner expats blaming the Thai dog or the Thai people or the Thai government or the Thai weather or Thailand itself. Whinge whinge whinge. This forum should be changed to "thaivisawhingingexpats." Amusing how some expats come to live there only to whinge and bitch all day about everyone and everything.

Gee, it was a brit who attacked the dog? i wouldn't have guessed.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Stoker58 said:

In Thailand, never forget that there are spy cameras everywhere.

Not only spy cameras. Thailand is full of Thais also. The 'shop a farang' has started. The poor naked people on the beach, now this.

Just plain jealously.

21 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

hitting a dog.

My wife warned me not to hit dogs, chickens, cats. The fines can get up there, you are at the mercy of the owner. 

One of our friends paid out 7k baht last year in chickens and he ran over a dog while reversing his car. 

14 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The best bit of the story can be found in the full version:

“His wife (sic) begged me to have her husband deported, but that is up to Phuket Immigration,” he said."

“His wife (sic) begged me not* to have her husband deported, but that is up to Phuket Immigration,” he said.
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/brit-expat-behind-bars-for-attacking-phuket-dog-72188.php#hV7pGgWKxoWHpesE.99

33 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Not only spy cameras. Thailand is full of Thais also. The 'shop a farang' has started. The poor naked people on the beach, now this.

Just plain jealously.

Utter nonsense.

The cop insisted that he be denied bail. I always thought bail denial was reserved for killers of people, serial killers, rapists and the like. Since when is it applicable to a guy who beats a dog? Are dogs now better than people? And do we really know the history of this dog in question and if it is a decent dog, or a vicious animal? 

such an aggressive guy. no way to act this aggressive as a guest here. they can kick you out.

but denied bail??

if you are thai or chinese, even if you kill someone, you get a bail!

Remember the case of murderer taxi driver killed a motorcyclist many months ago and still walking free. many such cases for some chinese too.

but if you are a farang hitting a dog, they deny your bail and then deport you although you are married?

sounds discrimination to me. or law is not applied equally.

"what a laugh- 'animal cruelty' in a country where cock fighting is legal (and they DO use blades) where animals like pigs are kept in appalling conditions and where they are quite happy to let millions of soi dogs wander about in various states of decay, and where even the house dogs are banged up like prisoners rarely taken out. We all know why dogs have special status and it's not religion."

Right.  Not like the more civilized places that crowd cows into standing-room only pens to be fed and fattened up then bulldozed into carriers for processing (including dead ones).  Or chickens.  Or pigs.  Yes, Thailand definitely has a lock on hypocrisy when it comes to animal cruelty.

Harding was arraigned and at police request has been denied bail.

I think that seems slightly harsh considering the Thai police put out requests for Thai people to come in for 'interviews' when they have assaulted and murdered people.

Moral of this story for me is 'Think like a Thai' - next time wear a helmet and cover your number plate

15 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I can't help but wonder what the cops would have done if it was a local who had beaten the dog? I can't help but suspect a 500-1,000 baht fine, a wai and on his way. There have after all been many animal cruelty stories here and I don't recall any getting this treatment, even though I have to say the fella absolutely deserves it.

My thoughts exactly, however he may not be the sort of person I want to be friends with so it may well be Karma for some other shit so Som na na 

1 minute ago, Badrabbit said:

I am shocked, this country is an utter disgrace when it comes to everything, road deaths, Soi Dogs, violent attacks from motorists who are not afraid to use a weapon, stare at a Thai and you are asking for big trouble, incredible!!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

What's that got to do with a farang caught inflicting a premeditated attack on an animal...

I've been attacked by the same dog a few times and yes I retaliated but not to harm the dog just to scare it, each time it has come at me I have retaliated using a stick(never actually hit it) I do not want to be injured, the dog is fine(saw it yesterday) still being aggressive, the authorities know there is a huge dog problem but do nothing!!

7 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

Highlighting that we are singled out by the police etc!

So you think defending yourself against attack is wrong,???

There is a difference between defending yourself and going out to do premeditated damage is totally different.....

Yes agree but would the outcome be any different if you or I was walking along the road and was attacked, fought back and injured the dog, would we be labelled an animal abuser??

There is a difference between defending yourself and going out to do premeditated damage is totally different.....

9 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

I've been attacked by the same dog a few times and yes I retaliated but not to harm the dog just to scare it, each time it has come at me I have retaliated using a stick(never actually hit it) I do not want to be injured, the dog is fine(saw it yesterday) still being aggressive, the authorities know there is a huge dog problem but do nothing!!

Yes, it's the trespass that's got him by the short and curlies. He should not have followed the dog into the shop. But being denied bail for trespass is a bit hard. Maybe if he killed the dog, he could have got bail.....like the panther killers did?

4 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

Yes agree but would the outcome be any different if you or I was walking along the road and was attacked, fought back and injured the dog, would we be labelled an animal abuser??

Dunno, if I was being attacked I would probably kill it in defense, not creep out at night to get my own back...

Archived