Brit expat behind bars for attacking Phuket dog

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Using a metal rod is way OTT - what an idiot.

Anyhow, a typical farang's life is at the lowest rung on the social ladder, in terms of importance.

Irresponsible dog ownership and archaic animal cruelty laws just add fuel to the fire.

2 hours ago, Superphoenix said:

Yes, deport this pig. Bc if I see him, he will lose his teeth. 

I hope that you're only kidding. Keyboard warriors behind a keyboard and anonymous seem to be extremely strong. 

Why would you knock his teeth out? 

19 hours ago, keemapoot said:

From the fact pattern provided, it's a pretty clear case of premeditated dog assault and battery. Had he acted in the heat of the moment as his dog was being attacked, he would have a defense. But, he later sought out the offending dog after a cooling down period and intentionally and with malice aforethought exacted revenge. 

And of course the dog would have known that and tried to apologise but it was too late.

20 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Which could easily turn into a Thaixit for the cruel animal beating guy whose wife wants him deported.

That's indeed not gentlemen like to walk into other peoples' places and beat the owner's dog. The dog seems to live there, so its of course protecting the owner.

If a foreigners then means he can walk his dog at a bar, it's the foreigner's fault alone if the dogs start to be cruel to each other. 

Would he have done that to my dog because his dog had a problem with mine, I'd beat the shi_e out of him, without being cruel to him. 

Raises the question how nice he was to his wife?

Merv, what did you do that they wanna get rid off you and want you to go? 

The photo is from better times with less hate, perhaps more money? Might be one of his wives, photo is nine years old. 

Merv Harding.jpg

“His wife (sic) begged me not* to have her husband deported, but that is up to Phuket Immigration,” he said.
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/brit-expat-behind-bars-for-attacking-phuket-dog-72188.php#r5YhQMCQH0iuyhUg.99

Read first the article. SOme guy put it here in other words, deleted not, just for a prank. 

23 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I can't help but wonder what the cops would have done if it was a local who had beaten the dog? I can't help but suspect a 500-1,000 baht fine, a wai and on his way. There have after all been many animal cruelty stories here and I don't recall any getting this treatment, even though I have to say the fella absolutely deserves it.

He appears to have form, according to the previous article in the Phuket News:

"The man was reportedly already brought to Chalong Police Station just last month and fined for violent behaviour toward a female neighbour over his anger against a dog in the neighbourhood."
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/police-begin-hunt-for-foreign-man-over-attacking-dog-72161.php#OdZoyUbQH5oWx9qi.99

He might benefit from a course of anger management. :whistling:

On 7/18/2019 at 1:50 PM, darksidedog said:

I can't help but wonder what the cops would have done if it was a local who had beaten the dog? I can't help but suspect a 500-1,000 baht fine, a wai and on his way. There have after all been many animal cruelty stories here and I don't recall any getting this treatment, even though I have to say the fella absolutely deserves it.

RE - I can't help but wonder what the cops would have done if it was a local who had beaten the dog? I can't help but suspect a 500-1,000 baht fine, a wai and on his way.

* Most likely and sad but not surprisingly as the thai Law's seems as well to be two devided just like the general pricing … 

RE -  There have after all been many animal cruelty stories here and I don't recall any getting this treatment, even though I have to say the fella absolutely deserves it.

* In this case we clearly see what the Power of media is all about and that it may even escalate the punishment to another Level, but as you said he deserves what's coming from our point of view, but maybe not according to the Thai Law in general for this kind of offence.

BTW, the story served after his denial that this dog had attacked his may be nothing but a fairytale and we do not even know if he actually has a dog … 

15 hours ago, inThailand said:

Yup, rat poision sold at the daily markets. It took them three times to kill our favorite soi dog. He never barked, never bit or threaten anyone. Didn't even care about food, just a pat on the head. We miss him.

Sorry to hear that. This world is full of dog haters and psychopaths. Often these dog haters are psychos. 

But the Thai people from Sakhonakon province actually eat dogs, and that is okay? Ask any thai person, the people in Sakhonnakon are known to be dog eaters and it's an open known fact.

This Brit should be released immediately, where is the uproar?

How can a country where it's own citizens kill and eat dogs, jail a foreigner for hitting a dog with a metal out of annoyance?

For God's sake where's the uproar!

2 hours ago, jessebkk1 said:

But the Thai people from Sakhonakon province actually eat dogs, and that is okay? Ask any thai person, the people in Sakhonnakon are known to be dog eaters and it's an open known fact.

How can a country where it's own citizens kill and eat dogs, jail a foreigner for hitting a dog with a metal out of annoyance?

We take it for granted to eat cow meat - try it in India …  

In most countries it's allowed to eat pigs, chickens, sheep, cows, horses and bulls, BUT it's not allowed to mistreat them - should not be that hard to understand the difference … :thumbsup:

Indeed, massively hypocritical. The amount of times I've seen locals openly beat dogs half to death, but (and not condoning it) as soon as Johnnie foreigner does it...

Expect the all-conquering baht to appreciate another couple percentage points!

4 hours ago, jessebkk1 said:

You've totally missed the point. There're many countries around the world, where people eat dogs. 

Dog meat in winter time's very expensive in Vietnam, a delicatessen for these people. 

I guess you eat pork? Have you seen people killing pigs with a shovel before? Have you noticed how many times these people need to hit their heads until they die? 

Of course, do we not want to see all the cruelty done to animals when we order our favorite food. 

What about people who load cows on ships and trucks, who use all to get an animal with a broken hoof on board, electroshocks on their genitals, then lift them on one leg, etc.? 

Have you never seen something similar before?

Or some Chinese folks who love to eat fresh monkey brain served at the table of a restaurant, where the monkey loses his upper skull to have access to the "delicious" mind.

And the chickens who do not have a life because somebody decided to put them in tiny boxes where they start to kill each other because they've gotten insane....

Now you point out the cruelty of Thais who kill dogs to eat them. What's so bad about it, when the animals get killed in a way that the pain is only very short? 

When a dog in many parts of Isaan gets killed by a truck or a car, many Isaan people eat the dog, but not because they're cruel, it's food, and many do not have enough to eat. 

Can you believe that? You call them dog eaters, the Muslims call us pig eaters, who're the better people here? Of course, the pig eaters, because that's a big industry and pigs are pigs, so what's the deal with killing them?

There are people on this planet who get a kick when they cause pain to animals and people. How do you know that the guy's dog was attacked by the massage parlor dog?

Perhaps you've read that the dog that got beaten with an iron rod lived there with a family?

My dogs are also protecting our home, and they'll bark when you walk outside the gate and bite you when you climb over the gate, and that's good so.

Is that a reason for anybody to beat my dogs because they act like dogs?

Isn't that common knowledge that people have dogs as a pet, feed them, bring them to a vet when they get sick, and many dogs are part of a family.

Now please see it as it is. The guy took a weapon, let's put it this way, he'd even planned to go to the massage place with an iron rod, then walked around on other people's land to find a dog he didn't like and beat the shi_e out of it?

Most people saw the movie when he did his cruel beating, do you think that this guy is somehow "normal"?

This guy's thick as a brick, which is pretty obvious. How can you write such dramatic words that Thais kill dogs to eat them, but this guy was "annoyed," and it was his right to do so?

Nobody has the right to beat an animal or a human being for no reason. 

An average person wouldn't walk his dog at a place where another dog lives, when he/she knows that there's a dog, it's that easy.

How do we know if the sick guy even had a dog that got attacked by the massage owner's dog?

Here's the big question mark. There's absolutely no proof that this dog had attacked the Brit's dog. Is it possible that he made this up to cover his sick behavior?

Why he got arrested? He did something that's considered very cruel, plus he went into somebody's house to do so. When plenty of people then post movies about the hero with his iron, the cops have to do something.

He's not an innocent guy who was seeking revenge because his dog got attacked.

He's a sick human being who likes it when animals, perhaps also human beings, feel pain.  

Thank you. 

On a slightly different dog matter.

I would like to thank the German guy who every morning, without fail, feeds any dog he sees in Rawai and Nai Harn. Too many to count. Your years of unwavering dedication is admired.

2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Indeed, massively hypocritical. The amount of times I've seen locals openly beat dogs half to death, but (and not condoning it) as soon as Johnnie foreigner does it...

Expect the all-conquering baht to appreciate another couple percentage points!

I particularly  liked the "Monk"  who did  that, was he jailed?

This whole sorry tale (!) has been a massive over reaction by all parties.

Firstly, by the dog beater Brit who premeditatedly decided to extract revenge on a territorial mutt who apparently had issues with the guy's dog entering it's patch. To pull out his telescopic police baton, pursue the dog into a private closed premises and beat the crap out of the cowering animal was way over the top.

Then, curtesy of the ubiquitous CCTV footage, Thai social media erupted in indigitation, despite ample evidence that they generally have little right to cast the proverbial first stone in animal abuse.

Predictable the dog's owner, there's always someone who claims ownership when they smell a payout, gives a heartfelt rendition of dog innocence based on age, infirmity and as a rescued victim of the tsunami!

The local English language media, sensing a story, other than just another tourist drowning or taxi beating, leapt into headline mode by sensationalizing the matter and greatly increasing their readership by 4 or 5 people.

This opened up the matter to the expat social media and battle lines were quickly drawn between the lovers and haters of canines. All the usual clichés flowed as insults were exchanged. The dog haters overreacted by wanting any animals not properly trained and restrained eliminated by various heinous methods.  The dog lovers wished similar treatment be meted out to the Brit abuser who should be deported after hanging from a lamp post by his balls.

Realizing he had been caught on camera and knowing his goose was cooked (possibly after a beating with an iron rod) the Brit turned himself in to the rozzers. 

Said police, who had been over-reacting since they sensed a farang payout (the deputy chief was put on the case for ….'s sake!) listed a raft of offences for the one action and refused bail on the basis that he is a not a Thai.

Presumably the idiot Brit is now trying to accumulate enough overinflated baht to make the matter go away.

On 7/18/2019 at 6:58 PM, Orton Rd said:

what a laugh- 'animal cruelty' in a country where cock fighting is legal (and they DO use blades) where animals like pigs are kept in appalling conditions and where they are quite happy to let millions of soi dogs wander about in various states of decay, and where even the house dogs are banged up like prisoners rarely taken out. We all know why dogs have special status and it's not religion.

What is that special status?

22 hours ago, ttrd said:

BTW, the story served after his denial that this dog had attacked his may be nothing but a fairytale and we do not even know if he actually has a dog … 

He probably doesn't.  According to the story in the U.K.'s Daily Mirror, the dog in question had bitten him.  There was no mention of him owning a dog himself.

9 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Firstly, by the dog beater Brit who premeditatedly decided to extract revenge on a territorial mutt who apparently had issues with the guy's dog entering it's patch. To pull out his telescopic police baton, pursue the dog into a private closed premises and beat the crap out of the cowering animal was way over the top.

Then, curtesy of the ubiquitous CCTV footage, Thai social media erupted in indigitation, despite ample evidence that they generally have little right to cast the proverbial first stone in animal abuse.

Predictable the dog's owner, there's always someone who claims ownership when they smell a payout, gives a heartfelt rendition of dog innocence based on age, infirmity and as a rescued victim of the tsunami!

The local English language media, sensing a story, other than just another tourist drowning or taxi beating, leapt into headline mode by sensationalizing the matter and greatly increasing their readership by 4 or 5 people.

This opened up the matter to the expat social media and battle lines were quickly drawn between the lovers and haters of canines. All the usual clichés flowed as insults were exchanged. The dog haters overreacted by wanting any animals not properly trained and restrained eliminated by various heinous methods.  The dog lovers wished similar treatment be meted out to the Brit abuser who should be deported after hanging from a lamp post by his balls.

Realizing he had been caught on camera and knowing his goose was cooked (possibly after a beating with an iron rod) the Brit turned himself in to the rozzers. 

Said police, who had been over-reacting since they sensed a farang payout (the deputy chief was put on the case for ….'s sake!) listed a raft of offences for the one action and refused bail on the basis that he is a not a Thai.

Presumably the idiot Brit is now trying to accumulate enough overinflated baht to make the matter go away.

There is much truth (and common sense) in what you write here.  I particularly liked this bit:

"The dog lovers wished similar treatment be meted out to the Brit abuser who should be deported after hanging from a lamp post by his balls."  

And I'm not even a dog person - I'm firmly a cat person - LOL!  However, I deplore animal cruelty in any shape or form.

9 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Very well put

Archived