whats the go with swearing/flipping the bird

seajae

Does anyone know what the thai law is in regard to swearing and flipping the bird, is telling someone to f off and giving them the finger during an argument grounds for legal action.

No it's not justification for legal action

It does give them all they need to gang up and have a mob handed attack on johny foreigner though with the feigned moral outrage

Just gives them an excuse to behave in their rawest form with no comebacks. And possibly a small pay off to keep the peace.....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I've been amazed at the huge reaction of some Thais to having the bird flipped at them. Probably one of the most extreme was at the condo where a friend lived. It was on Sukhumvit Rd., and buses were apparently in the habit of blocking the entryway to let people off and wait (often quite long) for more riders to show up. One of the tenants was so pissed off after sitting on the road for about 5 minutes, honking his car horn, trying to get the bus driver to pull forward and let him in that when it eventually happened, the guy stuck his hand out the window and flipped the bird at the driver on the way by. The guy parked his car and entered the building but didn't see that the bus driver had exited his vehicle and headed into the parking lot, where he savagely kicked the guy's driver side door in, denting it substantially. My friend and I watched this from his balcony and just looked at each other, shaking our heads in amazement. 

I would be more worried about an immediate violent reaction than any legal situation from flipping the bird or using profanities. Even yelling at Thais isn't going to turn out well. I learned early on about raising your voice in anger when I did it to a bank teller who was being uncooperative. I suddenly became invisible to him and nothing was accomplished. 

My wife always told me never ever to flip the bird at a Thai. She said that it was considered much, much stronger than it is in our home countries and the reaction by some Thais would be "It's time to fight and teach the farang a lesson". What I took out of that was don't flip the bird in Thailand, ever!

Archived