Confused now about tourist and non-0 in Laos

This is on behalf of a Belgium friend who went today to Savanakhet in Laos - ideally he wanted a non-o based on being over 50, he had proof of 800k in his Thai bank but did not have proof that he was retired.

Savanakhet told him no to a non- o, exactly why I don’t know but I suspect it was because he can’t prove he is retired.

Tourist visa they said no to because he has had one in the past 12 months but this was from Belgium NOT from Laos.

He has a few VOA from Bangkok airports in the past 12 months and then always went back to Belgium.

What is he meant to do ? He has the money in the bank no problem but he needs a visa to get a 12 month extension at immigration in nong Khai.

Apart from using an agent in Thailand are any other neighboring countries easier now??

I would appreciate any advice.

p.s he was at Savanakhet consultant at 7.30am and it was already busy !

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

42 minutes ago, Martouf said:

What is he meant to do ? He has the money in the bank no problem but he needs a visa to get a 12 month extension at immigration in nong Khai.

He can enter using Visa Exemption and apply for a Non ‘O’ visa at immigration as a prerequisite to applying for a 1 year extension of stay. 

He would need at least 15 days left (maybe 21) of his 30 day tourist (VE) entry to apply for the Non ‘O’

• Like 2

He can enter using Visa Exemption and apply for a Non ‘O’ visa at immigration as a prerequisite to applying for a 1 year extension of stay. 

He would need at least 15 days left (maybe 21) of his 30 day tourist (VE) entry to apply for the Non ‘O’

He was allowed back into Thailand today on a 30 day visa on arrival - the 800k plus is already in the bank so tomorrow he can go to Immigration tomorrow in Nong Khai and start to apply for a 12 month non-o retirement extension - yes ?

I thought needed at least a tourist visa to do it and not a visa on arrival

1 hour ago, Martouf said:

He was allowed back into Thailand today on a 30 day visa on arrival - the 800k plus is already in the bank so tomorrow he can go to Immigration tomorrow in Nong Khai and start to apply for a 12 month non-o retirement extension - yes ?

Yes.

1 hour ago, Martouf said:

I thought needed at least a tourist visa to do it and not a visa on arrival

It can be done with either.

4 hours ago, Martouf said:

but did not have proof that he was retired.

First time I hear this. What is "proof of retirement", a pension?

I imagine there was some ulterior reason or misunderstanding.

by the way, if your friend is Belgian, when you say visa on arrival you probably mean visa exempt.

That is what the Thai embassy in Copenhagen told me when I applied a few years ago. Without some proof of pension income they refused to issue a non-OA visa for retirement.

1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

I imagine there was some ulterior reason or misunderstanding.

by the way, if your friend is Belgian, when you say visa on arrival you probably mean visa exempt.

Embassies/consulates across the world have requested proof of pension for years. 

Anyone applying for a Non-immigrant O visa with a view to retiring in Thailand is expected to be retired.

I did and I think it was because he had no proof that he was retired - pension statement or affidavit from the Belgium Embassy

I was in a similar situation as I'm coming up to 50 and was planning to get my Non imm O based on retirement. British Embassy won't provide a "retired" affidavit so it's a waste of time and money going all the way to Laos.

Come in with a tourist visa or visa exempt and use an agent

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
6 hours ago, elviajero said:
Embassies/consulates across the world have requested proof of pension for years. 

Anyone applying for a Non-immigrant O visa with a view to retiring in Thailand is expected to be retired.

Yes but people between 50 and pensionable age don't receive a pension but are retired. It's another daft rule

Maybe it's based on some local thing, do the Thai's have to show proof of retirement for something? How would they prove they were retired?

It's kinda like some village idiot in the UK, asking for a Council Tax bill as proof of address, from a Thai resident. The most diplomatic I could muster was "probably not"...

I'm retired from my previous employment, (not to say I would not work again) but what their expectation is perhaps in a need of a bit of description.

I'm still 11 years from State pension pension, by which time they will probably say, too old to get health insurance, no can do.

Sounds like they have a view from more than 10 years ago ( from a UK point perspective).

Edited by UKresonant

I've always assumed that "pension" simply means income - I've never been asked for any proof of "pension" ie. retirement income, just for income. You should remember the people who write these regulations have no solid grasp of English and don't understand the nuances of the word "pension" that native English speakers do

Maybe it's based on some local thing, do the Thai's have to show proof of retirement for something? How would they prove they were retired?
It's kinda like some village idiot in the UK, asking for a Council Tax bill as proof of address, from a Thai resident. The most diplomatic I could muster was "probably not"...
I'm retired from my previous employment, (not to say I would not work again) but what their expectation is perhaps in a need of a bit of description.
I'm still 11 years from State pension pension, by which time they will probably say, too old to get health insurance, no can do.
Sounds like they have a view from more than 10 years ago ( from a UK point perspective).

They don't think things through, probably rarely if ever ask Why
  • Like 1

So my understanding is that I can get a non-O visa good for one year, aka retirement visa if I fulfill the following conditions, apart from the obvious age req.

1. Still have 15 days left on my visa or visa exempt stay

2. Have 800k in a bank account here two months prior to my application 

and proof that the money has been wired from abroad

is that all ?

is it true that I don't need any police or medical clearance if I apply from within Thailand ? 

And when will the requirement for mandatory health insurance kick in ?

Thanks

Edited by Krupps

10 minutes ago, Krupps said:

So my understanding is that I can get a non-O visa good for one year, aka retirement visa if I fulfill the following conditions, apart from the obvious age req.

1. Still have 15 days left on my visa or visa exempt stay

2. Have 800k in a bank account here two months prior to my application 

and proof that the money has been wired from abroad

You can apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at a immigration office. And then a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa)  based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

1. Yes but some offices want more than 15 day remaining on your entry or the 30 day extension of it.

2. To apply for the visa the 800k baht only needs to be in the bank on the date your apply along with proof it came from a abroad.

Then for 2 months on the day you apply for the one year extension.

11 minutes ago, Krupps said:

is it true that I don't need any police or medical clearance if I apply from within Thailand ? 

Yes

11 minutes ago, Krupps said:

And when will the requirement for mandatory health insurance kick in ?

It will not be needed for an extension of stay based upon retirement.

• Like 2

It will not be needed for an extension of stay based upon retirement.

Thanks Ubonjoe, I’ll see what Immigration say later this afternoon.

But is there now a new rule of only 1 tourist visa in 12 months - it was strange he was denied a tourist visa particularly as he only tourist visa came from Belgium

10 hours ago, nrasmussen said:

That is what the Thai embassy in Copenhagen told me when I applied a few years ago. Without some proof of pension income they refused to issue a non-OA visa for retirement.

There is probably a lack of understanding in this case. I assume they mean proof of a passive income, due to that you are not allowed to work. As that could also possibly be used as proof of retirement.

48 minutes ago, Martouf said:

But is there now a new rule of only 1 tourist visa in 12 months - it was strange he was denied a tourist visa particularly as he only tourist visa came from Belgium

No

I think there was more to the story than he told you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at a immigration office. And then a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa)  based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

1. Yes but some offices want more than 15 day remaining on your entry or the 30 day extension of it.

2. To apply for the visa the 800k baht only needs to be in the bank on the date your apply along with proof it came from a abroad.

Then for 2 months on the day you apply for the one year extension.

@ubonjoe Really? So you are saying you can convert a visa exempt to a 90 day non-o and then 1 year extension without leaving Thailand? I always thought only a real visa (like tourist visa) could be converted into another visa type. Does this also apply to non-o based on marriage?

I am re-entering Thailand in September on visa-exempt and was initially planning to get a non-O visa based on marriage in HCMC but if I can do the process in Chiang Mai why bother flying out..

36 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Proof of that being accepted?

I have one friend that deals in the stock market and dividends. He uses that as addon to come up to his monthly 65k, and that has been accepted for the 3 years he have been on retirement visa. The reason that works is that he pays Thai tax on that, because of living in Thailand more than 180 days per year.

Another friend uses savings to match up his pension amount, which is also accepted without paying tax, as long as he can provide evidence that the savings was earned previous years. Otherwsie they are also eligeble for taxation according to the Thai tax system.

However, some countries have different agreements with Thailand regarding taxation. Nobody can come away from the reality of paying tax, though. Thailand is not a tax paradise and will never be. That´s why you can not use income from a source that are illigal in Thailand or that you can´t provide originating proof for.

I have one friend that deals in the stock market and dividends. He uses that as addon to come up to his monthly 65k, and that has been accepted for the 3 years he have been on retirement visa. The reason that works is that he pays Thai tax on that, because of living in Thailand more than 180 days per year.

Another friend uses savings to match up his pension amount, which is also accepted without paying tax, as long as he can provide evidence that the savings was earned previous years. Otherwsie they are also eligeble for taxation according to the Thai tax system.

However, some countries have different agreements with Thailand regarding taxation. Nobody can come away from the reality of paying tax, though. Thailand is not a tax paradise and will never be. That´s why you can not use income from a source that are illigal in Thailand or that you can´t provide originating proof for.
Accepted at Savanakhet which is what this thread is about?

21 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
45 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Accepted at Savanakhet which is what this thread is about?

Yes, and you can assume that everything that is following the legal way to aquire money and is in order to the regulation for the different visas will be accepted. My examples will surely work in Savannakhet also. 

Most of the people that get denied, are beeing that out of the reason that they can´t provide legal proof of obtained money.

Edited by Matzzon

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

So to be clear, your examples weren't from Savannakhet, but they may be accepted if someone wants to risk it

Whatever, Continue to complain and question everything. I am out of this thread and totaly fed up with dooms day posters for today.

3 hours ago, Martouf said:

I'm guessing your friend didn't provide proof of the 20,000 baht financial requirement to apply for a TV.