Confused now about tourist and non-0 in Laos

There is probably a lack of understanding in this case. I assume they mean proof of a passive income, due to that you are not allowed to work. As that could also possibly be used as proof of retirement.
I'm positive that there was no misunderstanding. Only some kind of pension income, either government or private, would be accepted as proof of retirement.

23 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:
6 hours ago, Matzzon said:
There is probably a lack of understanding in this case. I assume they mean proof of a passive income, due to that you are not allowed to work. As that could also possibly be used as proof of retirement.

I'm positive that there was no misunderstanding. Only some kind of pension income, either government or private, would be accepted as proof of retirement.

WM_3.jpg

23 hours ago, Martouf said:

He has a few VOA from Bangkok airports in the past 12 months and then always went back to Belgium.

Actually he might have a few Visa Exempt entries, but Belgians aren't eligible for Visas on Arrival. 

22 hours ago, Martouf said:

He was allowed back into Thailand today on a 30 day visa on arrival - 

I thought needed at least a tourist visa to do it and not a visa on arrival

No, not a Visa On Arrival. He got a thirty day visa exempt entry.

He needs a non-imm O type of visa to eventually apply for a retirement extension, but he can make the change from a visa exempt entry (or also he could start with a tourist visa) to a non-imm O visa at immigrations and then apply for the extension based on retirement.

Edited by Suradit69

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
20 hours ago, elviajero said:
Embassies/consulates across the world have requested proof of pension for years. 

Anyone applying for a Non-immigrant O visa with a view to retiring in Thailand is expected to be retired.

Yes but people between 50 and pensionable age don't receive a pension but are retired. It's another daft rule

I am 62 and do not and will not have any sort of pension.  My retirement income will be mostly from the dividends and interest passive income my investments generate.  I will eventually collect USA Social Security benefits, but that will be a few years from now and after I "retire" from working. 

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

WM_3.jpg

As item 3 says:  Evidence showing income such as pension or interest received or dividend received....  Interest or dividend which is what I will have.. no pension.  Now the Procedures column makes it a bit more ambiguous as it 1), only uses the word pension.  I am sure the average imm officer and thai person expects pension, and doesn't quite understand how a portfolio of dividend paying stocks and funds, and interest paying tax free municipal bonds provides income.  That is just not their experience level.

6 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

As item 3 says:  Evidence showing income such as pension or interest received or dividend received....  Interest or dividend which is what I will have.. no pension.  Now the Procedures column makes it a bit more ambiguous as it 1), only uses the word pension.  I am sure the average imm officer and thai person expects pension, and doesn't quite understand how a portfolio of dividend paying stocks and funds, and interest paying tax free municipal bonds provides income.  That is just not their experience level.

Sure, this is to be considered as an officially translated dokument, and are the rules written by Immigration. Maybe have a copy of it handy when go to the embassy. I believe it is available in a thai version to.

Sure, this is to be considered as an officially translated dokument, and are the rules written by Immigration. Maybe have a copy of it handy when go to the embassy. I believe it is available in a thai version to.
You are quoting rules for obtaining an extension of permission to stay. I was talking about getting a Non-OA visa at an embassy.

• 2 weeks later...
He can enter using Visa Exemption and apply for a Non ‘O’ visa at immigration as a prerequisite to applying for a 1 year extension of stay. 

He would need at least 15 days left (maybe 21) of his 30 day tourist (VE) entry to apply for the Non ‘O’

Unfortunately Nong Khai Immigration won’t do it because we are close to Vientiane and a Thai Embassy !!! But Udon Thani which is only 45km away will !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1