Getting a Thai dog into Australia

Hello everyone. 

Another falang with a Thai wife here. 

She’s now residing in Australia but her dog’s still in Thailand. 

I’ve read up on the process and looked at a couple of old threads and got a couple of outrageous quotes (that made me think it might be cheaper and easier to buy a yacht and smuggle it in ...). 

Can anyone suggest or recommend a good forwarding agent or pet mover please ?

Any information will be appreciated. 

Thank you     ????

• 3 months later...

We are currently going through the process of exporting two dogs from Thailand to Australia.  We are using a relocation company,  PetAir Malaysia.  https://petair.my/  The whole process is quite lengthy and very expensive.  In a nutshell, the dogs have to stay in Malaysia (or other approved country) for a minimum of 45 days and then have 10 days quarantine in Australia.  Prior to getting the whole process started the dog has to pass a rabies RNAT test.  This blood test MUST be carried out by APHA labs in the UK or any of the labs on the agriculture.gov.au website. 

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/cats-dogs/step-by-step-guides/nac-cat2and3dogs

7 minutes ago, steven100 said:

might be easier and a lot cheaper to leave the dog here in Thailand …. it'll have plenty of friends around the Soi's.

Cheaper and easier - absolutely.  Sadly, I am sure it happens often enough but euthanasia would be kinder than leaving it to a life of mange, ticks and fleas, pining, hit and runs and territorial aggressors.

Update.

Chose a service provider today.

The dog will go via Malaysia. (other options were Singapore and Taiwan)

The choice considered cost, reputation / reviews, promptness and coherence of replies to questions etc.

It's not an easy process to understand and it's expensive but diligence will solve problems as they arise (as it always does ...).

Hopefully the dog survives all the plane rides, relocations, captivity, vaccinations and general discomfort.

Step one is to get the ISO 15-digit microchip inserted and then the blood sample taken for testing.

An example of how demanding the process is -

- the sample cannot be tested in Thailand (no certified laboratories) but must be tested in a lab that meets the requirement of the intermediate country, and must be labelled, enclosed and transported in the correct manner.

Sheeesh.

I have used Jetpets to bring from Oz to Thailand, but they work both ways. Indeed very costly, around $7000 not including the 6 months quarantine. You mentioned Malaysia, i do not think its correct, it has to be totally rabbies free country, from memory only Singapore. 

I know someone who did the "quarantine" in US for 6 months, then direct flight to Oz, and another 1 month in Oz

But if you contact Jetpets they will give you full run down, they brought my 2 pensioners over, both were over 15 years old and they arrived well and safe

It can go via Malaysia.

Two weeks locked up in quarantine then 45 days in a boarding kennel, then on to Australia for another ten days locked up in Melbourne.

The Malaysian quarantine was only a week previously but apparently due to a rabies outbreak in Thailand it was doubled to two weeks. 

Poor little dog.

But how Aussie is that ?!?!

Locked up several times and transported thousands of miles in confined conditions before being pardoned ....

It reminds me of the story of our wedding. My wife rarely drinks and is a two-teaspoon screamer. Somebody gave her a glass of champagne at the reception (on an empty stomach) and she had to have a sleep for a couple of hours.

She was mortified at what she thought was rudeness and disrespect shown to the guests but when she woke we all said 'no way sweetheart - passing out at your own wedding is an old Aussie tradition'.

2 minutes ago, Docmartin said:

It can go via Malaysia.

Two weeks locked up in quarantine then 45 days in a boarding kennel, then on to Australia for another ten days locked up in Melbourne.

The Malaysian quarantine was only a week previously but apparently due to a rabies outbreak in Thailand it was doubled to two weeks. 

Poor little dog.

But how Aussie is that ?!?!

Locked up several times and transported thousands of miles in confined conditions before being pardoned ....

It reminds me of the story of our wedding. My wife rarely drinks and is a two-teaspoon screamer. Somebody gave her a glass of champagne at the reception (on an empty stomach) and she had to have a sleep for a couple of hours.

She was mortified at what she thought was rudeness and disrespect shown to the guests but when she woke we all said 'no way sweetheart - passing out at your own wedding is an old Aussie tradition'.

Ok, my information is from about 6 years ago, if anything it has gotten easier.

I would still contact Jetpets for a quote and process. This guys have been in biz for decades and i found their pricing to be competitive for what you get.

Process sounds scary but its not so bad, dogs are kept in good conditions and you can visit.

You can also contact this lady, she made national news bringing injured Thai dog into oz https://www.facebook.com/nicole.marchment

Archived