Jump to content
BANGKOK
manta

Changing province with a retirement visa

Recommended Posts

When I first retired to thailand over a year ago I made my retirement visa in Pattaya but after a few months I move to koh samui and when i came I tried in vain to do my 90 day reporting, they just said I needed to post to pattaya to get it signed which I did. So years up I decided to do the retirement visa in samui....oh no you can’t they said I need to go back and do it in pattaya or go out the country and back on a 90day visa and start the whole process again in Samui...

surely this can’t be the case?? Any assistance would be much appreciated as I am now being given the run around, thanks..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I believe that you should have filed a TM28 form (notification of change of address) to the Samui Immigration Office as soon as you moved there.  The problem appears to be that you are still listed as living in the Pattaya Immigration Office's jurisdiction (since you never notified Immigration of your move to Samui via a TM28).

 

You don't have to leave the country and start over.  That's not true.

 

You might still able to file for your extension in Pattaya but they might ask for a TM30 form from your landlord there (and that is not the correct way to handle it in your situation since you don't live there anymore).

 

I would wait for Ubonjoe to respond to get the real low down on your situation but my guess is that you should fill out and file a TM28 form as well as a new TM30 form (if required) and submit everything to the Samui Office.  Then you will be able to apply for your extension there since you would then be officially living in their jurisdiction.

Edited by MeePeeMai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes they are giving you the runaround.

 

You should have change filed a change of address (TM.28) when your moved. After that they should accept 90 day reports.

 

As long as you have a Samui address on the new extension application they should accept it. There is absolutely no reason to start again with a new Non O visa.

 

That all said, if they won’t play ball you’re going to have to start again, or maybe do the extension in Pattaya. You could try complaining, but if this ‘rule’ is from the local office boss it’s unlikely they’ll budge.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another option is to check into a hotel in Pattaya and make sure they report your stay to Immigration (via TM30).  Do your extension in Pattaya and tell them that you are living in a hotel in Pattaya (if they ask).  Then once you get your extension approved, you should file your TM28 at Samui and tell them that you have just moved there.  You should be fine after that and from then on your 90 day reports etc. would be done at Samui..

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

I believe that you should have filed a TM28 form (notification of change of address) to the Samui Immigration Office as soon as you moved there.  The problem appears to be that you are still listed as living in the Pattaya Immigration Office's jurisdiction (since you never notified Immigration of your move to Samui via a TM28).

 

You don't have to leave the country and start over.  That's not true.

 

You might still able to file for your extension in Pattaya but they might ask for a TM30 form from your landlord there (and that is not the correct way to handle it in your situation since you don't live there anymore).

 

I would wait for Ubonjoe to respond to get the real low down on your situation but my guess is that you should fill out and file a TM28 form as well as a new TM30 form (if required) and submit everything to the Samui Office.  Then you will be able to apply for your extension there since you would then be officially living in their jurisdiction.

you are not correct.

i had exactly the same.

you either have to go back to the original province, or you need to go out and come back and start again.

having said that, this only applies if you got your first Retirement Visa in thailand.

If you got it in your own country, you can re new in any province

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the immigration office is correct mate.

same thing happened to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the question then is:     Did the OP use an agent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

I guess the question then is:     Did the OP use an agent?

Why shouldn't he use an agent? Are you insinuating that they are illegal? if they were, surely they would have been caught years ago. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, possum1931 said:

Why shouldn't he use an agent? Are you insinuating that they are illegal? if they were, surely they would have been caught years ago. 

Are you really that bright?  Did I say he shouldn't use an agent?  Am I insinuating anything?  Read the thread and read Ubonjoes response to hopefully get a clue.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

Are you really that bright?  Did I say he shouldn't use an agent?  Am I insinuating anything?  Read the thread and read Ubonjoes response to hopefully get a clue.

 

"Did the OP use an agent?"  That is the question you asked. Please explain why you want to know if the OP used an agent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

UdonJoe could you post the correct way to notify immigration in the case of moving to a different area and signing a new lease?

 

Should it be within 24 hours of signing a lease?

Should a TM 28 & 30 both be filed?

What about areas where they don’t care about TM30????

Does the 90 day reporting reset at this notification date?

Edited by sfokevin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, nickmondo said:

having said that, this only applies if you got your first Retirement Visa in thailand.

If you got it in your own country, you can re new in any province

You're confusing visas with permissions to stay.

A non-imm O-A visa (the only one that might be called a retirement visa) is only obtainable in your home country or country of legal residence. You can't get one in Thailand.

 

A permission to stay or extension of that permission is done at an immigration office in Thailand. You can't get a permission to stay outside of Thailand.

 

3 hours ago, nickmondo said:

you are not correct.

Not a good idea to tell someone something  he posted isn't correct and then post incorrect information/terns yourself.

 

 

 

Edited by Suradit69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the reply’s people after two days hard slog I managed to get the visa but wasn’t easy.

Good advise about the TM28/30 will never make that mistake again..

Many thanks all it was very enlightening...🙏

Edited by manta
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

"Did the OP use an agent?"  That is the question you asked. Please explain why you want to know if the OP used an agent.

That was due to this post I did. 

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have only heard of that happening if the local immigration office thought you had gotten you your extension done under the table by an agent.

In the OP's case they think that is his case since it was issued in Pattaya.

No real reason to know if an agent was used since it would only be a suspicion by immigration that he did use one.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...