Jump to content
BANGKOK
johnmell

Nakhon Phanom border bounce.

Recommended Posts

Has anyone done the Nakhon Phanom/ Thakhaek (Laos) crossing.

If so is it easy to return the same day. No idea what its like on the Laos side, but doesnt look to be much there.

 

Many thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a problem to do a border hop there. Just cross the bridge, enter Laos and then turn around and come back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not a problem to do a border hop there. Just cross the bridge, enter Laos and then turn around and come back.

done that myself some years ago no problem

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note Travel warning

Re Thakhaek

Its is dangerous to stay overnight as you may well die......

 

 

of boredom!

  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thakek is actually a fine place to stop overnight. Regular but slow bus from NP bus station over the bridge and thru Thai and Laos immigration. Nice small restaurants around the old town by the river and a big new restaurant overlooking the river back to NP. The central Thakek old town is a couple of kms from the town bus station. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ajarnbrian said:

Thakek is actually a fine place to stop overnight. Regular but slow bus from NP bus station over the bridge and thru Thai and Laos immigration. Nice small restaurants around the old town by the river and a big new restaurant overlooking the river back to NP. The central Thakek old town is a couple of kms from the town bus station. 

In fairness sit was 2002 when i was there last

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, poohy said:

In fairness sit was 2002 when i was there last

So They MIGHT Have Electricity there NOW ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

Laos give arrival visa there too?

Yes you can get a Lao visa on arrival there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Straightforward bus trip from Nakhon Phanom bus station to Tha Khaek bus station. About one hour each way give or take. Visa on arrival is available. Friendly Laos immigration staff. Not busy at all. Most non-Laos travellers are Viets as vans run from Vietnam.

 

 Tha Khaek is a bit of a dump. Much smaller than Savannakhet. Nakhon Phanom is nicer to stay. It also has an airport for easy transport. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Straightforward bus trip from Nakhon Phanom bus station to Tha Khaek bus station. About one hour each way give or take. Visa on arrival is available. Friendly Laos immigration staff. Not busy at all. Most non-Laos travellers are Viets as vans run from Vietnam.

 

 Tha Khaek is a bit of a dump. Much smaller than Savannakhet. Nakhon Phanom is nicer to stay. It also has an airport for easy transport. 

 

great info. thanks

im planning to do my NON-O 90 days there. take the plane.. go by tuktuk and come back on the same day by plane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Have they installed a finger printer scanner yet at that border?

 

In fact, are there any legal border crossing points left out of Thailand that don't have the fingersscanners installed yet?

 

I got to Thailand through Suvanabhum end of 2018, there were no scanners, haven't left the country since and I'm due to leave soon, I just don't want <removed> to have my prints.

Edited by ubonjoe
derogatory comment removed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, problemfarang said:

 

great info. thanks

im planning to do my NON-O 90 days there. take the plane.. go by tuktuk and come back on the same day by plane.

If you have to stay the night in Nakhon Phanom, the hotels are ridiculously good value if you book online in advance. There is a van that picks up in Nakhon Phanom from wherever your hotel is. I can't remember the price but it is fair. The airport is quite a way from the town. 

 

I am not sure what you mean by "go by tuk-tuk". There is an international bus from the bus station to Laos so there is no need to travel anywhere by tuk-tuk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

If you have to stay the night in Nakhon Phanom, the hotels are ridiculously good value if you book online in advance. There is a van that picks up in Nakhon Phanom from wherever your hotel is. I can't remember the price but it is fair. The airport is quite a way from the town. 

 

I am not sure what you mean by "go by tuk-tuk". There is an international bus from the bus station to Laos so there is no need to travel anywhere by tuk-tuk. 

 

thnx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...