Nakhon Phanom border bounce.

Thakek is actually a fine place to stop overnight. Regular but slow bus from NP bus station over the bridge and thru Thai and Laos immigration. Nice small restaurants around the old town by the river and a big new restaurant overlooking the river back to NP. The central Thakek old town is a couple of kms from the town bus station. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ajarnbrian said:

Thakek is actually a fine place to stop overnight. Regular but slow bus from NP bus station over the bridge and thru Thai and Laos immigration. Nice small restaurants around the old town by the river and a big new restaurant overlooking the river back to NP. The central Thakek old town is a couple of kms from the town bus station. 

In fairness sit was 2002 when i was there last

Straightforward bus trip from Nakhon Phanom bus station to Tha Khaek bus station. About one hour each way give or take. Visa on arrival is available. Friendly Laos immigration staff. Not busy at all. Most non-Laos travellers are Viets as vans run from Vietnam.

Tha Khaek is a bit of a dump. Much smaller than Savannakhet. Nakhon Phanom is nicer to stay. It also has an airport for easy transport. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Straightforward bus trip from Nakhon Phanom bus station to Tha Khaek bus station. About one hour each way give or take. Visa on arrival is available. Friendly Laos immigration staff. Not busy at all. Most non-Laos travellers are Viets as vans run from Vietnam.

Tha Khaek is a bit of a dump. Much smaller than Savannakhet. Nakhon Phanom is nicer to stay. It also has an airport for easy transport. 

great info. thanks

im planning to do my NON-O 90 days there. take the plane.. go by tuktuk and come back on the same day by plane.

Have they installed a finger printer scanner yet at that border?

In fact, are there any legal border crossing points left out of Thailand that don't have the fingersscanners installed yet?

I got to Thailand through Suvanabhum end of 2018, there were no scanners, haven't left the country since and I'm due to leave soon, I just don't want <removed> to have my prints.

Edited by Guest
derogatory comment removed

1 hour ago, problemfarang said:

great info. thanks

im planning to do my NON-O 90 days there. take the plane.. go by tuktuk and come back on the same day by plane.

If you have to stay the night in Nakhon Phanom, the hotels are ridiculously good value if you book online in advance. There is a van that picks up in Nakhon Phanom from wherever your hotel is. I can't remember the price but it is fair. The airport is quite a way from the town. 

I am not sure what you mean by "go by tuk-tuk". There is an international bus from the bus station to Laos so there is no need to travel anywhere by tuk-tuk. 

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

If you have to stay the night in Nakhon Phanom, the hotels are ridiculously good value if you book online in advance. There is a van that picks up in Nakhon Phanom from wherever your hotel is. I can't remember the price but it is fair. The airport is quite a way from the town. 

I am not sure what you mean by "go by tuk-tuk". There is an international bus from the bus station to Laos so there is no need to travel anywhere by tuk-tuk. 

thnx

I would spend a day in Thakhaek. Did the exact trip 2017 with that bus. 2 farangs in their mid 50s came from Laos for the visa-run. Smooth and easy. The bus stops at the local terminal in Thakhaek . I would advice you to get a private driver there, as they are waiting (i ask myself why, as there are barely tourists) for customers. Remember I gave him 700 baht and he called his wife with a smile one his face:) . He drove me to the nearby caves, the local temple, restaurant, local market and then back to the border. 

There I just asked a Lao-Family and they took me in their SUV back over the bridge (they have pavements, but its forbidden to cross the bridge by foot)