Inefficient online banking to be revealed to consumers

Inefficient online bankers to be revealed to consumers

By WICHIT CHAITRONG
THE NATION

800_bcb1936757a32d0.jpg?v=1563444177

The Bank of Thailand (BOT) will next month start publishing details of which banks suffer the longest online downtimes so consumers can identify the most reliable ones.

“We will publicise the names of banks and their service downtimes in order to help consumers choose [the most] reliable banking,” BOT governor Veerathai Santiprabhob said on Thursday at the Bangkok FinTech Fair.

Veerathai said in response to a question on mobile banking services that consumers sometimes had poor online experiences caused by the banks’ servers being down.

The central bank had instructed banks to upgrade their online systems to handle the rising number of digital transactions, he pointed out, and while this might be a lengthy process many banks had successfully upgraded their systems and prevented old problems recurring.

As the industry regulator, the BOT had kept a close eye to make sure that banks complied with a standard of conduct required by the central bank, Veerathai added.

He also said that since the launch of electronic payment system PromptPay more than two years ago, digital financial services had one of highest commercial sector growth rates in the world.

Almost 50 million ID cards and telephone numbers were now linked to bank accounts via PromptPay and the number of merchants accepting payments via QR code scanning had reached 5 million.

The number of monthly electronic payment transactions increased from just 440 million transactions 18 months ago to almost 700 million in May 2019, he said.

Many digital payment services had also been developed to meet the needs of the new economy.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30373205

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-07-19

Kasikorn's online and mobile banking is superb.  I no longer carry an ATM card as I can use my phone to withdraw cash. 

The other night in a Japanese bar on Sukhumvit,  I was short of cash (I don't have any credit cards) but the bar had their account number on the bill fold; so I just did a transfer and showed the waitress the confirmation on my phone.  Bloody brilliant!

2 hours ago, seancbk said:

Kasikorn's online and mobile banking is superb.  I no longer carry an ATM card as I can use my phone to withdraw cash. 

The other night in a Japanese bar on Sukhumvit,  I was short of cash (I don't have any credit cards) but the bar had their account number on the bill fold; so I just did a transfer and showed the waitress the confirmation on my phone.  Bloody brilliant!

by the way do you know what is the maxium amount available per day to transfer money from mobile ?

2 hours ago, seancbk said:

Yes..... KASIKORN IS GREAT..... From my home in the USA I can transfer money to keep my 'HAREM' of several Thai girls with pocket money for everyday expenses........ Then they don't miss me and have the money they are accustomed to....... 5555

But when I do go back to see them....... they like to keep me happy too......... THANK YOU ..... KASIKORN......

4 minutes ago, thaiboss said:

by the way do you know what is the maxium amount available per day to transfer money from mobile ?

You can specify with the bank how much youwant the daily limit to be set at....... It is fairly liberal but I can't remember the MAX......

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

If you think this is bad, just imagine how much worse it could be when Thailand goes cashless in a few years.

I know the govt talks going cashless (so they can better see funds flow, minimize tax evasion, etc), but Thailand will not be anywhere close to going cashless in a "few years".....but maybe a "few decades"...will take time approximating the speed of continental drift. 

5 hours ago, seancbk said:

Your example there seems to be paying on K+. How do you get cash without using an ATM card?

1 hour ago, DPKANKAN said:

Your example there seems to be paying on K+. How do you get cash without using an ATM card?

Kasikorn Bank's ATMs have a cardless withdrawal option. You use their app to choose the amount, then scan the QR code displayed on the ATM's screen and confirm. Out comes the cash.

Archived