All eyes on new team at helm of Education Ministry

webfact

All eyes on new team at helm of Education Ministry

By Chularat Saengpassa
The Nation

800_431b6a6377dfc41.jpg?v=1563461100

Nation/Prasert Thepsri Education Minister Nataphol Teepsuwan (front, center) and Deputy Education Minister Khunying Kalaya Sophonpanich (right, yellow dress) strive with confidence as they arrive at the ministry at 7.49am on Thursday for the first day in office.

Thanks to the formation of the new government, a new man and two deputies have taken the helm of the Education Ministry. And while hopes for better changes emerge, many doubts are also surfacing.

Education Minister Nataphol Teepsuwan from the coalition leader Phalang Pracharat Party has been quick to advertise his plans to ease the teachers’ debt woes and offer them lessons in the English language. 

However, his deputy Khunying Kalaya Sophonpanich from the Democrat Party, is talking about bringing back rote learning, such as getting students to repeatedly chant multiplication tables and more. 

His other deputy, Bhumjaithai’s Kanokwan Vilawan, has not said much, though her party has placed strong emphasis on solving student-loan problems and expressing their intention to make student loans interest free. Both Nataphol and Kalaya are also keen to promote classes on computer coding. 

1563462255995.jpg

Nicha Pittayapongsakorn, a researcher at the Thailand Development Research Institute (TDRI), however, believes that the new individuals at the helm of the Education Ministry should focus on existing projects first. 

“First check which of the many ongoing projects are doing well, then continue with what is good and scrap what isn’t or is redundant,” she said, adding that computer coding classes were introduced to schools nationwide in 2018. 

Nicha also pointed out that new projects will only keep teachers away from their classrooms. 

“Many projects such as the White School Project and the Integrity School projects can be merged. If you continue running them separately, teachers will have to work on each project separately and will obviously have less time for their students,” she said.

A teacher based in Nakhon Phanom, speaking on condition of anonymity, concurred, saying some projects required a daily report. 

Nicha also recommended that the powers-that-be should continue working on decentralisation and education reform, adding that she is also concerned because Thailand as known for frequent changes at the top of the Education Ministry. 

20190620_125130.jpg

Nicha

“Frequent changes mean the education minister will be prone to focusing on short-term policies,” she said. 

Nicha also acknowledged the arrival of technological disruption in the educational sector, adding that she now pins her hopes on the educational innovation areas that have already been implemented in six provinces. 

“Things may be unclear initially, but let’s continue experimenting until we can achieve something good,” she said. 

Earlier this month, TDRI president Dr Somkiat Tangkitvanich expressed support for the introduction of educational innovation areas, and also advised the new government to allocate more resources for the Equitable Education Fund, which aims to help children in need and reduce educational inequalities. 

“Equip school directors with leadership skills so they can lead professional learning communities,” he commented.

Sompong Jitradub, a prominent Chulalongkorn University lecturer, meanwhile, only gave a passing grade to Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha’s choice of Cabinet members for educational affairs. “I give them 5.5 points out of 10,” he said, adding that these Cabinet members were not outstanding in any way, just acceptable because they have come from an election, and represent various fields. Nataphol comes from the private sector, Kanokwan from the local sector and Kalaya from the science sector. 

“But their educational policies are not outstanding in any way,” Sompong pointed out. “Their parties have different educational policies, so we don’t know which direction they will go with Thai education.” 

While campaigning for votes, the coalition leader Phalang Pracharat Party promised to help graduates struggling with student loans, come up with an education-for-all policy and even voiced the idea of having universities mentor schools. 

FB_IMG_1560357957773.jpg

File photo

The Democrat Party, meanwhile, announced that it will set good standards for early-child centres nationwide, offer breakfast on top of free lunch for students from kindergarten to Mathyayom 3, implement an English-for-all project, adjust the curriculum so students are prepared for the future, continue free vocational education and guarantee vocational students job. It also offered to ease the workload of teachers, establish a Smart Education Fund in support of education-sector social enterprises and start-ups and promote education technology.

The Bhumjaithai Party, meanwhile, offered a five-year moratorium on student-loan repayments, offer free courses online and create income opportunities for learners.

Sompong said the best thing for now would be to have all ministers in the education sector to work together so they can achieve a synergy and improve education in Thailand.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30373226

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-07-19

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Sompong said the best thing for now would be to have all ministers in the education sector to work together so they can achieve a synergy and improve education in Thailand.

The Mushroom Ministry...…...keep them in the dark and feed them BS!

The first few paragraphs may be indicative of much of the future of education.....the minister seems to want to concentrate on teachers debts....nothing mentioned about students.....one deputy wants to continue with rote learning...just a continuance of current style....and the other deputy didn't say anything.

Not much future for Thai kids with this bunch......but lot's of money to be had!

"...bringing back rote learning, such as getting students to repeatedly chant multiplication tables and more."

I was a teacher in USA. I'd weep for Thai kids and their families given such low quality "education".

But after years of watching the waste, the cluelessness, the acceptance of status quo, my tear ducts have run dry. 

Democrats: English to be taught by native speakers from kindergarten onwards. Well good luck with that. Maybe you can ask all the native speakers who have left Thailand because of ridiculous policies by both Kharusapha and Immigration to come back. Currently I am doing (forced to do by Kharusapha) a Graduate Dip.ed which costs Bt74,000. If I wasn't commited with family I most definitely would have left Thailand. Nothing will change for the better. Just another bunch of self righteous idiots at the top.

I won't even bother to read this article. 'All eyes on the new Education Team'. I've been in Thailand long enough to know that they will not make - will not even want to make - the slightest bit of difference or improvement.

It is tacit policy of ALL Thai 'governments' TO KEEP THE 'PEASANTS' ILL-INFORMED AND UNEDUCATED!

I don't see on the list of promises:

Elimination of corruption within the hierarchy of the public school system. 

e.g such funding used for scams such as diluting student lunches and directors and teachers paid holidays (student excursions).

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Democrats: English to be taught by native speakers from kindergarten onwards. Well good luck with that. Maybe you can ask all the native speakers who have left Thailand because of ridiculous policies by both Kharusapha and Immigration to come back. Currently I am doing (forced to do by Kharusapha) a Graduate Dip.ed which costs Bt74,000. If I wasn't commited with family I most definitely would have left Thailand. Nothing will change for the better. Just another bunch of self righteous idiots at the top.

2 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Can I ask the experts what is wrong with rote learning for multiplication tables please ?

There's not much wrong with reciting your times table, but he said "such as". Meaning what else will they be reciting? 

Maybe it's time they move away from rote learning and have students ask more questions. Kids (and adults) need to have the curiosity and skills to find out the answers for themselves. But as they say, "keep them poor and downtrodden and you the rich reap the benefits". 

9 hours ago, webfact said:

However, his deputy Khunying Kalaya Sophonpanich from the Democrat Party, is talking about bringing back rote learning, such as getting students to repeatedly chant multiplication tables and more. 

Good grief...

4 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Can I ask the experts what is wrong with rote learning for multiplication tables please ?

The children learn to repeat, parrot fashion, facts they do not understand and cannot apply in real world problem solving situations. 

It’s a lazy and inefficient manner of teaching; it fails to explain what multiplication is and how it can be used in various situations. 

Likewise, repeating facts and learning by rote in other curriculum areas, does not involve investigating and researching to find answers to questions or about an area of study. The children fail to learn transferable skills that can be applied in other curriculum areas. As bluesofa quite rightly points out, it fails to help develop critical thinking. 

as long as all the money allocated in the budget gets spent on the schools and doesnt find its way into people pockets it should be good but as we have seen for many years the money doesnt get to do what it should so education lacks a lot

11 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:
4 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

The children learn to repeat, parrot fashion, facts they do not understand and cannot apply in real world problem solving situations. 

Until kids (and people generally) are able to think for themselves. rather than just quoting the tables, is no help in life.

The government for decades have done everything possible to prevent the population to think for themselves. They know that as soon as people are able to realise how they have been screwed by all governments here, that is when there will be real dissent.

At school, things like "Don't ask your teacher difficult questions, because it shows a lack of respect, and they're older than you, so you can't do that anyway."

So it's much better for those at the top to say crap like 'don't think too much', or 'don't worry, be happy' and the like, then there's more chance of them carrying on screwing the population.

It’s a lazy and inefficient manner of teaching; it fails to explain what multiplication is and how it can be used in various situations. 

Likewise, repeating facts and learning by rote in other curriculum areas, does not involve investigating and researching to find answers to questions or about an area of study. The children fail to learn transferable skills that can be applied in other curriculum areas. As bluesofa quite rightly points out, it fails to help develop critical thinking. 
Exactly. Critical thinking is not encouraged in Thailand. Take 2 steps back...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

I strongly disagree with your first 2 paragraphs and agree with the third.

I learned my multiplication tables by rote and have been very thankful that I did. Yes, understanding numbers goes along with it and putting them together serves to speed up one's mental arithmetic ability.

There is a place in any education system for rote learning (poetry is another example) as long as it's only a small part of an overall system that prompts critical thinking. Sadly the latter has never been allowed within Thai education overall.

44 minutes ago, khunken said:

I strongly disagree with your first 2 paragraphs and agree with the third.

I learned my multiplication tables by rote and have been very thankful that I did. Yes, understanding numbers goes along with it and putting them together serves to speed up one's mental arithmetic ability.

There is a place in any education system for rote learning (poetry is another example) as long as it's only a small part of an overall system that prompts critical thinking. Sadly the latter has never been allowed within Thai education overall.

I teach primary age children. 

We do not teach by rote. 

7 hours ago, Eligius said:

I won't even bother to read this article. 'All eyes on the new Education Team'. I've been in Thailand long enough to know that they will not make - will not even want to make - the slightest bit of difference or improvement.

It is tacit policy of ALL Thai 'governments' TO KEEP THE 'PEASANTS' ILL-INFORMED AND UNEDUCATED!

But they can all march and sing the national anthem!

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

I teach primary age children. 

We do not teach by rote. 

Good on you. There is a alternative school revolution going on at the moment that are moving away from traditional teaching methods to develop critical thinking, communication and teamwork. Public schools are taking notice of this new teaching methods. You will find this article interesting. 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/alternative-school-education-helps-students-in-thailand-11570494

Archived