Strong baht a big, big headache for Thailand’s tourism

webfact

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/24/2019 at 7:42 AM, bannork said:

Well, what are you doing on this website? Sign in to mexicanvisa.com

I still have a retirement visa for Thailand. Just checking out the competition.

Dear Minister:  My wife recently bought a house upcountry for her folks. I will never be traveling there due to the onerous constraints placed upon me by TM30. No economic help there. No air flight, taxis...

Wife's friends coming to Bangkok for big meet up. I will not be sleeping at the house and only visiting a few hours. I feel no need to contribute money to the party I won't attend. I will not subject them to fees and paperwork. No economic help there from me into the regular economy.

We have our special national park in which we love to camp. Most certainly these folks don't bother notifying the government of foreign campers. We go and contribute directly into government coffers in fees, services and canteen. When I return and must file a TM30. We will no longer make this trip either. That will make zero places we will visit in Thailand. Well done.

My wife has seen Thailand, I've seen Thailand. Why would I want to subject myself to fines and hassles for taking a trip to some mediocre destination that's full of touts, scams, lacks saftey and in all likelihood not clean? You need to provide a quality experience with good value. It's more lacking now than ever except now you have Vietnam on your heels. Myanmar will get it together as well.

I need to return home without the stress. I have no time or desire to report my whereabouts (home!!) and lose a days wages or leave my students with a substitute. It's a bridge too far. I'm being treated as a criminal and resent the hell out of it.

So I take my money as apparently so many potential tourists now do and go to a different country. Guess what, we never fly Thai Air as well, that's become stupid expensive. 

You have lost my contribution to the tourism sector based upon the TM30 being the last straw in the Thai hassles as bullshit I'm willing to endure.

Be advised next stop at 62 is withdrawing my savings and leaving the country. An additional stunt like tm30 will ensure that because my patience ended long ago with the useless police and immigration paperwork.

If I am ever asked to pay a fine on tm30 for any reason that might even be sooner.

Once tourists find new beaches, favorite hotels and GH, beaches and banana boats they will not be back. Vietnam comes quickly to mind. When Myanmar gets its beaches sorted out Thailand is finished.

If all this is not abundantly clear - tourism is a zero sum game. Thailand is off the cliff, we foreigners had seen that years ago. You're unfortunately just waking up to this fact.

Appears by news you've already lost the Chinese, quickly banking on the Indians. What's next?

The currency is absolutely out if control. Wake up. The TM30 is a rock solid impediment for expats to travel and spend money locally.

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

The currency is absolutely out if control. Wake up. The TM30 is a rock solid impediment for expats to travel and spend money locally.

I used to like traveling around Thailand a lot and quite often jump on the plane to BKK for a few days not no more we used to spend a bit of money over the 5 or 6 days away a few other people I know feel the same

6 hours ago, cerox said:

Minister does not care that you do not stay in your wifes house because you do not want to file tm30.

You are absolutely correct and that's the problem.

You've also missed the point entirely. By not going I'm not buying plane tickets, taking taxis, buying gifts, paying for Good and perhaps even giving relatives a bit of cash for them to dump into the economy.

How does it go... American Airlines took out one olive from first class salad and saved 38000usd. Reverse is true as well.

When every tourist matters, when not a satang is left on the table the industry will rebalance.

I retired early by savings pennies not just dollars.

On 7/19/2019 at 5:21 AM, Mango Bob said:

Why not just stop screwing with the people.  TM30 must stop.  Only those who are legal here will use it.  Those on overstages and criminals are not going to use it.  It is a waste of immigration time and are time.  Also stop cheating the tourist and all foreigners in the country.

.....and whilst they're at it, they should impose world peace and cure all known diseases.

15 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

.....and whilst they're at it, they should impose world peace and cure all known diseases.

Thailand is a quagmire of ridiculous rules and paperwork. For tourists which is what they go after it is ok. For expats, it is ridiculous.  Who in their right mind wants to spend their retirement years filling in forms and putting up with immigration in Thailand..  haha

10 minutes ago, garyk said:

Thailand is a quagmire of ridiculous rules and paperwork. For tourists which is what they go after it is ok. For expats, it is ridiculous.  Who in their right mind wants to spend their retirement years filling in forms and putting up with immigration in Thailand..  haha

One visit to immigration per year isn't much of a problem now is it?

90 day and TM30 can be done from the comfort of your place of residence if you have the nous. Mountain out of a mole-hill. Storm in a teacup.

Archived