Trump disavows 'send her back' rally chant, many Republicans alarmed

webfact

Trump disavows 'send her back' rally chant, many Republicans alarmed

By David Morgan

2019-07-18T182425Z_2_LYNXNPEF6H1S4_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during a campaign rally in Greenville, North Carolina July 17, 2019. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump tried to distance himself on Thursday from supporters' chants of "send her back" at a rally where he blasted Somalia-born U.S. Representative Ilhan Omar, as Republicans worry the incendiary mantra could set the tone for the 2020 campaign.

Omar shot back that Trump was "spewing fascist ideology," and Republicans expressed alarm that the inflammatory chant, building off of provocative tweets and statements by Trump, might become a theme of his 2020 re-election campaign.

President Trump on Thursday said he tried to stop supporters who chanted "send her back," at a rally in North Carolina, telling reporters "I started speaking very quickly" to quiet the crowd. The chant was referring to Somali-born Democratic Representative Ilhan Omar, one of four congresswomnen Trump controversially tweeted about on Sunday. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).

U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday distanced himself from supporters' chants of "send her back" after he criticized Somali-born Democratic Representative Ilhan Omar at a rally in North Carolina.

"I felt a little bit badly about it," Trump told reporters at the White House when asked about the chants, which drew an outpouring of criticism. "I would say that I was not happy with it. I disagreed with it. But again I didn't say that. They did. And I disagreed with."

"We cannot be defined by this," said conservative Representative Mark Walker, who added that Republican leaders in the House of Representatives discussed the potential political risks at a breakfast with Vice President Mike Pence.

"That does not need to be our campaign call," Walker said.

He and other Republicans denounced the language used by Trump's supporters, which followed a weekend Twitter attack by Trump on Omar and three other Democratic lawmakers, all minority women, saying they should "go back" to where they came from.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said on Thursday that President Trump's rally criticism of Somali-born Democratic Representative Ilhan Omar, and the crowd's 'send her back' chant in response, have put millions of Americans in danger. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).

When asked about President Trump's comments from the Wednesday rally, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said on Thursday that the president put "millions of Americans in danger".

"Well, I think the president put millions of Americans in danger last night. His rhetoric is endangering lots of people," Rep. Ocasio-Cortez said. "This is not just about threats to individual members of Congress but it is about creating a volatile environment in this country through violent rhetoric that puts anyone like Ilhan, anyone who believes in the rights of all people in danger. I think he has a responsibility for that environment."

Facing a backlash, Trump on Thursday distanced himself from supporters' chants of "send her back" after he criticized Somali-born Democratic Representative Ilhan Omar at a rally in North Carolina.

"I felt a little bit badly about it," Trump told reporters at the White House when asked about the chants at Wednesday night's rally, which drew an outpouring of criticism from Democrats and some of Trump's fellow Republicans.

Trump paused for 11 seconds when the chants erupted after he recounted comments by Omar, who was born in Somalia and emigrated to the United States, that he described as "vicious anti-Semitic screeds."

He told reporters at the White House he had started speaking very quickly after the chanting began, but he did not say he would ask his supporters to refrain from such behavior.

"I would say that I was not happy with it. I disagreed with it. But again I didn't say that. They did. And I disagreed with it," Trump said.

Omar was one of four liberal lawmakers - all women of color - that Trump criticized as un-American, saying they were welcome to leave the country if they did not like his policies on issues such as immigration and defending Israel.

Trump tweeted over the weekend that the four progressive representatives, known as "the squad" - Omar of Minnesota, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, Rashida Tlaib of Michigan and Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts - should "go back" where they came from, even though all are U.S. citizens and three are U.S.-born.

All four are U.S. citizens and, with the exception of Omar, were born in the United States. Known on Capitol Hill as "the squad," the four lawmakers are sharp critics of Trump and of the Democratic House leadership. Besides Omar, the other three are Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Rashida Tlaib and Ayanna Pressley.

Their physical safety and security was emerging as an issue. House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Bennie Thompson, in a letter on Monday, asked the Capitol Police for an emergency meeting to discuss the president's attacks on the four women.

Trump at midday tried to distance himself from the chant. At the White House, he told reporters: "I felt a little bit badly about it. ... I would say that I was not happy with it. I disagreed with it. But again I didn’t say that. They did. And I disagreed with."

At the rally, Trump intensified his vilification of the four congresswomen and underscored that such attacks will be a key part of his strategy for winning re-election in 2020. He went on a 20-minute diatribe about them, saying they were welcome to leave the country if they do not like his policies.

When the chant started, Trump paused for several seconds and looked across the crowd silently from the podium. As the chant died down, he resumed his verbal attack.

The chanting was reminiscent of calls to "lock her up" during Trump's 2016 presidential campaign against Democrat Hillary Clinton.

In remarks later to reporters, Omar slammed the president, saying "he's spewing his fascist ideology on stage, telling U.S. citizens to go back because they don't agree with his detrimental policies for our country."

'TRUMP'S DEMAGOGUERY'

Fear of retribution from Trump, who readily inveighs on Twitter against almost anyone he perceives as an opponent, has kept most Republicans quiet since he took power in January 2017. But as of Thursday, more than 40 of the 250 Republicans in Congress had criticized him over his attacks.

Republican Senator Mitt Romney, asked about the "send her back" chant, said, “It’s very unfortunate for our country. ... And I’m glad the president has spoken out against it.”

U.S. Representative Justin Amash, a longtime Trump critic who left the Republican Party this month to become an independent, tweeted, "A chant like 'Send her back!' is ugly and dangerous, and it is the inevitable consequence of President Trump’s demagoguery. This is how history's worst episodes begin. We must not allow this man to take us to such a place."

The outrage capped a tumultuous Trump-dominated week that took its toll on House members.

"We've got to take a deep breath. We all need to get out of here," Democratic Representative Debbie Dingell told reporters.

"Nerves are frayed. People are on edge. The Republican caucus is at each other’s throats. We’re at each other’s throats. We need to all go home ... and listen to what our constituents care about," she said.

(Reporting by David Morgan; additional reporting by Susan Heavey, Doina Chiacu, Susan Cornwell, Richard Cowan and Alexandra Alper ; editing by Kevin Drawbaugh and Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-07-19

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rep. Omar should be taken away for "attitude adjustment".

Actually, have you ever noticed how, here on TV, if someone [of us] whines and complains about life in LoS, he is usually told something like "don't let the door hit you in the a$$ as you leave."

That's precisely what Trump was saying.  Nothing racist  (omg, EVERY sodding thing is "raaaaaccccissst" these days) nothing at all racist about such a sentiment.  

If I were an American, I would be saying "close the door as you leave."  WHY is that racist?

(Yeah, yeah I know, I know, so don't  point it out, Chomper, that the POTUS made the lamentable mistake of telling them to 'go back where you came from'.  BUT we all know, all of us who have brains at least, that what he was saying was "stop the F whining and tell us how you are going to find the dollars to fund the Green New Deal that will have us all walking from A to B in ten years time.")

9 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

As I’ve argued all along, most Americans are decent people holding shared ideas of common decency.

Trump is not.

He’ll not be able to get this racist chant back in the box he pulled it out of.

America has a stark choice to make.

62 million American voters voted for him. 62 million!

I know there are some decent Americans but many millions are obviously racist a$$h0les.

Every single American should be ashamed to have a president like that. And as we all know what happend there is not an exception. He always behaves like that. He behaved like that before he was elected and he behaved like this for the last years after he was elected. Disgusting!

And what is even more disgusting is that most members of the republican party, or like they like to call themselves, the grand old party, don't stand up against Trump. They basically admit every day that they are a) racist like Trump or b) they just don't care. One way or another it's disgusting to see people like that in positions of power.

5 minutes ago, blazes said:

Actually, have you ever noticed how, here on TV, if someone [of us] whines and complains about life in LoS, he is usually told something like "don't let the door hit you in the a$$ as you leave."

That's precisely what Trump was saying.  Nothing racist  (omg, EVERY sodding thing is "raaaaaccccissst" these days) nothing at all racist about such a sentiment.  

If I were an American, I would be saying "close the door as you leave."  WHY is that racist?

(Yeah, yeah I know, I know, so don't  point it out, Chomper, that the POTUS made the lamentable mistake of telling them to 'go back where you came from'.  BUT we all know, all of us who have brains at least, that what he was saying was "stop the F whining and tell us how you are going to find the dollars to fund the Green New Deal that will have us all walking from A to B in ten years time.")

Back in the day(late 70s)it was common to have disagreements so soon after Vietnam a very common refrain was I may strongly disagree with your politics but I will fight to the death to defend your right to do so what happened to us?

Just now, blazes said:

Wow...

Do you actually understand how democracy is supposed to work? The voters tell what they want, like, don't like etc and their representatives, represent their views and fight for change if that is what they want.

Telling a US representative to go to back to their country is crass stupidity of the worst kind. Up there with "holding the airports" during the American Revolution.

Especially when most everyone there is from another country. Worse, most of those to whom he referred were born in the USA. What a scumbag and an idiot!

Is he going to go back to Germany? Oh no....they don't actually want him there.

https://www.newsweek.com/trumps-grandfathers-german-hometown-mayor-says-visit-ancestors-village-might-bring-him-down-1449594

It seems like draft dodging runs in his family;

Friedrich Trump wrote the letter in 1905 when he returned to Germany with his wife and daughter after having emigrated to the US.

German authorities had given him eight weeks to leave and denied him repatriation because he failed to complete his mandatory military service and to register his initial emigration to the US 20 years earlier..

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-grandfather-germany-letter-deportation-us-bavaria-dreamers-a7903071.html

So you can continue to support lying, low down dirty scum if you wish.

11 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

62 million American voters voted for him. 62 million!

I know there are some decent Americans but many millions are obviously racist a$$h0les.

Every single American should be ashamed to have a president like that. And as we all know what happend there is not an exception. He always behaves like that. He behaved like that before he was elected and he behaved like this for the last years after he was elected. Disgusting!

And what is even more disgusting is that most members of the republican party, or like they like to call themselves, the grand old party, don't stand up against Trump. They basically admit every day that they are a) racist like Trump or b) they just don't care. One way or another it's disgusting to see people like that in positions of power.

I agree with most of what you say but not all of the 62million who voted for Trump are racists.

Many are, many are not.

Those who are not are now being given a steam of examples of Trump’s racism.

The decent ordinary Americans amongst those who voted for him will not put up with his filth.

’You can fool some of the people some of the time...’

It's shocking, frankly, that no one here (so far) sees fit to call Omar what she is: a racist and a bigot - even Nancy Pelosi yesterday said that to be "anti-semitic is to be anti-American"....well, Omar is on record as hating Israel and calling for a boycott of the country.

And why, going back to Tug (above), is it ok for these Squad bigots to use their free speech to spout bigotry, but Trump gets instantly called out for apparently doing the same?

No comment?

6 minutes ago, blazes said:

It's shocking, frankly, that no one here (so far) sees fit to call Omar what she is: a racist and a bigot - even Nancy Pelosi yesterday said that to be "anti-semitic is to be anti-American"....well, Omar is on record as hating Israel and calling for a boycott of the country.

And why, going back to Tug (above), is it ok for these Squad bigots to use their free speech to spout bigotry, but Trump gets instantly called out for apparently doing the same?

No comment?

Strange I haven’t read any posts backing her point of view but thankfully many post backing her right to express her views as for Donald getting called out it’s because he is a rasist pure and simple

The reaction from democrat supporters to this saga is very interesting. It shows a split in the ranks. Half are saying "How dare he say send somebody born here back home" the other half are saying "Deport Donald and Melania because they have foreign roots". 

Talk about divided and confused!

21 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

The reaction from democrat supporters to this saga is very interesting. It shows a split in the ranks. Half are saying "How dare he say send somebody born here back home" the other half are saying "Deport Donald and Melania because they have foreign roots". 

Talk about divided and confused!

Nonsense. What they're saying is if it's okay to say that about those 4 women, why isn't it ok to say it about Donald and Melania too. The point being, of course, that it isn't okay at all.

1 hour ago, blazes said:

So you understand what Trump means better than the crowd at his rally did? Please, your assessment is plainly a case of dishonest wishful thinking.

38 minutes ago, blazes said:

No comment?

That would be the ‘is Omar a racist thread’.

Or it would be a whataboutary.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

As I’ve argued all along, most Americans are decent people holding shared ideas of common decency.

Trump is not.

He’ll not be able to get this racist chant back in the box he pulled it out of.

America has a stark choice to make.

What I will never understand is how this racist, sexist, low intelligent moron ever got voted into office. The Americans themselves did it. How, why and will they repeat the idiocy?

16 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

That would be the ‘is Omar a racist thread’.

Or it would be a whataboutary.

Whataboutery still leaves you with the challenge, , of either agreeing or disagreeing that it was indeed ok  for Omar to be anti-semitic and to belittle the 3000 deaths of 9/11 ("some people DID SOMETHING").  

That kind of anti-semitism is ok by you is it??  

1 hour ago, blazes said:

Congratulations for coming up all on your own with a course of action that's at least as bad as "Send her back." 

Got any plans for sinking even lower?

Or are you going to claim your words didn't mean what they clearly express?

1 minute ago, blazes said:

Whataboutery still leaves you with the challenge, oh ye of little brain, of either agreeing or disagreeing that it was indeed ok  for Omar to be anti-semitic and to belittle the 3000 deaths of 9/11 ("some people DID SOMETHING").  

That kind of anti-semitism is ok by you is it??  

It's cowardice to try to evade the question by invoking 'whataboutery".

All I see in your post is a  personal insult flame.

14 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

What I will never understand is how this racist, sexist, low intelligent moron ever got voted into office. The Americans themselves did it. How, why and will they repeat the idiocy?

He fooled some of the people for some of the time, and had help in doing so.

Comey was entirely correct when he said it was not simply a matter of Bringing Trump to justice, the American people need to face up to and address their part in putting this scoundrel in the WH.

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

He fooled some of the people for some of the time, and had help in doing so.

Comey was entirely correct when he said it was not simply a matter of Bringing Trump to justice, the American people need to face up to and address their part in putting this scoundrel in the WH.

You must be VERY confident come 2020 then. Comey, fired and discredited, is now to be quoted as a source of good repute?

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

I’ll answer it in the ‘Is Omar a Racist?’ thread when it come up.

This topic is about Trump’s racism.

Actually this thread is not about Trump's racism it's about him disavowing the crowd. A Freudian slip about what you WANT it to be about.

2 hours ago, blazes said:

Yeah how dare she ask for universal health care for all Americans, so low paid working class people are not left destitute if they get sick - the bloody cheek of it!

3 minutes ago, blazes said:

Ok, sorry Chomper, I've edited the flame out.  The question still stands however.

It doesn't matter what anyone would say to you. An extremist, by the very meaning of the word, can only see their point of view.

That only makes them stupid. It's like only knowing one language. You then simply cannot even understand what most of the rest of the world is even saying.

An intelligent person tries to look at every aspect before making a judgement.

Your views are fixed. You miss out, because you simply cannot understand what is going on. You simply have a very narrow understanding and ability to interpret.

There has been a concerted attempt to foist this kind of simplistic thinking from certain corners. Black and white. With us or against us. The 'dumbing down' of just about everything.

So people are hardly capable of critical thinking. They just choose a side and stick with it. It prevents them from having to think.

That's why I personally would not bother to have any kind of debate with you. In the end people might end up thinking that we are both idiots.

So I'll leave before that happens to me. ????

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I agree with most of what you say but not all of the 62million who voted for Trump are racists.

Many are, many are not.

Those who are not are now being given a steam of examples of Trump’s racism.

The decent ordinary Americans amongst those who voted for him will not put up with his filth.

’You can fool some of the people some of the time...’

I hope you are right. But reading the news I am not so sure about those decent people... 

Archived