Isaan Motivation?

swissie

After returning to Thailand from working in Myanmar, I initially lived in Ranong in south Thailand.  then I moved up to Bueng Kan, right on the banks of the Mekong.

To be perfectly frank about why I left Ranong, it was because of the Muslim call to prayer several times a day.  I have nothing against individual Muslims, but I absolutely do not agree with their religion.

Well, Bueng Kan is fine, but I'm moving yet again.  This time because my 5-year Thai visa is soon to expire and I don't want to put up with the visa/funds/TM30 etc 'nonsense' and intrusion into my private life by over-zealous officials.

I'm off to live in Luang Prabang in Northern Laos.  I used to live and work there around 2013.  I like that region because of the immediate access to beautiful hills and waterfalls, the simple life, yet the availability of culture and a choice of local and international foods in the town, (think freshly-baked French baguette, German sausages etc).

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/19/2019 at 9:35 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I visited the village of my gf and the nearby village of her sister and another village of her friend a couple of times.

I don't like it and I can't imagine I will ever live in a village like that.

same for me about my wife's village

but in or close to a small or mid size city with shops and a decent public hospital...

why not ?

I Moved to Khon Kaen because of my wife and her family being there. Before my wife I never even knew the place existed.

We did and created our litle corner of heaven there,

image.png.0f814ffa77805cddf1e8a95efe135dc7.pngI'm glad we did.

married 13 years now , Nice people good food, love her family to death. 

working in the US now will be back home in a couple of months. Funny thing, even though we maintain a home in the US, when we go to Khon Kaen we always say we are going home.

7 minutes ago, federico said:
On 7/19/2019 at 9:35 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I visited the village of my gf and the nearby village of her sister and another village of her friend a couple of times.

I don't like it and I can't imagine I will ever live in a village like that.

but in or close to a small or mid size city with shops and a decent public hospital...

why not ?

I agree with you.

My "problem" with the village is that there is "nothing". The next 7/11 is 20 minutes away if you drive with a motorcycle. And there are lots of drunk idiots on the streets.

I could live with fewer restaurants and no nightlife but at least it should be easy to do everyday shopping.

There is also bad phone reception in her village which is not even 200km away from Bangkok).

What I like about up country is i.e. a trip to the nearby waterfall. But I guess that also gets boring if there is nothing else.

19 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I agree with you.

My "problem" with the village is that there is "nothing". The next 7/11 is 20 minutes away if you drive with a motorcycle. And there are lots of drunk idiots on the streets.

I could live with fewer restaurants and no nightlife but at least it should be easy to do everyday shopping.

There is also bad phone reception in her village which is not even 200km away from Bangkok).

What I like about up country is i.e. a trip to the nearby waterfall. But I guess that also gets boring if there is nothing else.

Though I like to keep the place a secret, Khon Kaen is growing by leaps a bounds, but it is keeping its upcountry charm and the people are much more down to earth IMO.. 

We leave just outside the ring road at a litle village, to look around you you would think you live in the deep country,

Jump on the ring road and in 15 min you are at the Central Plaza mall, World class hospitals, every major retailer you can think , you can eat at a different place every day and not go to the same place twice in a couple of months, maybe more,  morning and night markets.  If I did not have to fly to BK for my connecting flight to KKC I would probably never see bangkok again.

But I think what makes the place great is Family, we always go places together and love being with them, If it wasn't for them it might be just another place. 

I was looking for a retirement location (divorce was pending) and spoke to a girl from Udon Thani. Never met that one but my online research suggested it was worth a look. So first ever trip to Thailand was Udon Thani. Exceeded expectations, and never went anywhere else. It had girls and fishing, what more did i need?

After marriage and living here for 9 years, can say that it has changed a lot, mostly good, some bad. The soi dogs are mainly gone and a lot less barking at night. It is slowly becoming a suburb rather than a village. Will I leave? Unlikely, big family, daughter and farang friends in the area. One regret, the last year has just been too hot, all year round. If i was to seek a new location probably would be somewhere near Hua hin for the cooling breezes. Gardening has just become too uncomfortable.

8 hours ago, federico said:

why not ?

Our house in Loei is 2.5 km from the hospital, 4.5 km from Big C, Makro, Home Pro. There's PTT/7-Eleven/Cafe Amazon 1.3 km away.  We even have a nice little mountain (Phu Bo Bit) about 5 clicks away with a view.  Phu Luang and Phu Reua are off in the distance.

image.jpeg.a3366f119d39049ccee1d3ebe3c5d967.jpeg

Sorry, long post. But still,

the more post that are coming in, the more obvious it becomes: It's mainly a "solid family life" that makes a Farang wanting to settle down in the Isaan. I too had plans to settle in the Isaan.
- When I hit my pension age, my Thai wife suggested that I move to rural Thailand, she would follow me in a year or two (we lived in my home-country at this time and she had a good job).

Said and done. Built a little house on 2 Rai and waited. And I waited and waited and waited. After 5 years of waiting she disclosed to me that she can not see her living in Thailand anymore. She had nothing good to say about Thai's and Thailand anymore. 3 months later we were divorced (in my home country) and I found a judge that decided overwhelmingly in my favor. End of story.
-------------------------------------------
Back in slow motion: During my stay in rural Thailand (while waiting), I made it very clear to everyone including his Uncle, that as a "married-man", I would not seek "live-in female companionship". Occasional "urges" were satisfied in the next "major-town" in rural Thailand, strictly on a "short-term" basis.
BUT: This lifestyle was never understood by Thai-Locals (the land of mia-noi's). The many invitations to Parties were mainly designed to introduce me to local Thai-Beauties with the purpose of "linking" me up with some female. As considered as a "no Butterfly-Farang", my "market-value" soared higher by the month.
But eventually it backfired on me: At some point I was considered as a "weirdo". Especially as I allowed my Thai Neighbor to plant his crops on "my" land for free. (unheard of).
Among other little things, my behavior served to build up an invisible wall between local Thai's and myself.
My way of life qualifying me as a "strange bird" in the eyes of local Thai's. So I left.

Therefore I insist, that without "rooting" in form of "Family-Ties", rural Thailand is not exactly the place where a "non-connected" Farang would want to spend the rest of "his golden years".  
These days, "the strange bird" prefers to visit Thailand 2-3 times a year as a Tourist. It wasen't planned that way, but the "strange bird" is quite happy with the way things have turned out in the end.

But I must confess: I envy Farangs that have found a home in rural Thailend, thousands of KM's away from their "home-country" with everything going according to plan.
Cheers.

18 minutes ago, Nemises said:
9 hours ago, swissie said:

...rural Thailand is not exactly the place where a "non-connected" Farang would want to spend the rest of "his golden years”

Why not??

Yes, why not indeed?  Our situation is a little different than most.  My wife and I are both Americans.  We lived and worked in Bangkok for 27 years, and when it came time to retire, we moved to an extremely rural area of Sisaket and built a house, drafting the design with Photoshop and overseeing the workers ourselves (not easy).  We lived a rural existence in Arkansas and loved the peace and quiet, which we remembered fondly during all those years in Bangkok (a city we, however, loved).  We have not been back to the States since 1999, when we returned and sold our house, four cars and all personal possessions at auction in a single day.  We have been in Sisaket now for six years and love it.  The nearest house is a kilometer away, and even the loudest racket the local wat can produce is but a soft, distant beat.  And we have a fabulous 350-meter swimming pool a few steps from our front door.

Lake.jpg

I too did the Isaan dance. Bought land built a house, had a daughter. Wonderful place for a kid to grow up. She grew up hard playing with the boys. It was a novelty at first. But, but as time wore on I realized I couldn't live there after retiring....no way. My theory was you know....I worked hard all my life and this is it. Couldn't do it. I have a 20 acre place back in the states if I want solitude. Long story short moved south for better school for young'un and more to do for old dad. Live in a small fishing village a 1 min motorbike ride from the beach, maybe 1/2 min. Can walk to restaurants and farang bar, the beach. The school is 5 min away. 

I've not once regretted the move.

18 hours ago, Knocker33 said:

Visited  many times but I think I would need a lobotomy to live there

Or it could be the other way round. 

People living in places such as Pattaya are lobotomized without even being aware of it... otherwise they couldn't stay... 

On 7/20/2019 at 8:42 AM, Damrongsak said:

Interesting question.  If I were there and broke up with my wife, I think I would still have a good relationship with her siblings.  They might even take care of me in my old age.  Just because I'm the "old uncle".  Doesn't hurt that I could pay my way.

The younger sister who is here in the USA split with her Thai husband, who also had a "green card" but went back.  Her brother still visits the guy, and doesn't seem too pleased with his sister.  Crazy sibling shit.

That said, I don't fancy retiring in Thailand due to some of the hassles as of late.  We have a fairly nice house in Virginia that is paid for in a quiet neighborhood.  We've been in this place about 25 years. I need to figure out a convenient way to spend maybe 3-4 months a year in Thailand. 

image.png.817e830326104e9bf00a310400e34512.png

ah,  nice to have money .   I think i live in Thailand for what you pay in property tax per year.  Hey, looks nice if you can afford it

On 7/19/2019 at 6:59 PM, jastheace said:

what happened to 'bob a job' the founding member of Ubon HHH ?

great times then ! imagine still are !

'Bob-a-Job' moved back to Europe about 4 years ago. Was driving coaches in the Alps, which provided him with the resources to pursue his love of skiing. I think I heard of a Spanish connection more recently, but don't have further details.

We owe him a lot for setting up the hash here!

The lifestyle in Isaan is so completely relaxing for me, coming from a very stressful management job in the UK I had no idea that it could be possible for me to live such an enjoyable lifestyle. Look at London now, people walk around, head down fiddling with mobile phone non stop. If you talk to someone you don't know, they assume that you are trying to mug them. People getting stabbed left right and centre, police and government completely incompetent, £1500+ a month rent for a flat, 40% income tax if you earn 46k+. Only good thing in the UK is healthcare, however, the last few times I wanted to see a doctor or dentist I couldn't, so even that seems to have gone down the toilet. The government treats immigrants and refugees better than tax-paying citizens, not that long ago that a Somalian family in London were given a 2 million pound town house in London.

As mentioned, Isaan is like living in slow motion. I'd be happy to stay here forever, but if they keep tightening the visa screws I might consider moving, getting really peed off with the TM30 and 90 day reporting. The only thing about Isaan is that there is no options for work or volunteering, at least there isn't anywhere close to my village.

Archived