Positive Mental Attitude: Does it Make a Difference?

geronimo

“Oh no, here we go again” I hear you groan! Not another “half full – half empty” thread! Well, in a way, yes it is, as the goal of this post is to get people to start looking at PMA. Yet I am very happy to announce that science has picked up the baton by experimenting with the human conscious, and guess what? Certain people can actually change a physical outcome. The term “certain people” is not used because only a chosen few have this ability, we all have this ability, yet most are simply unaware. So, where is the best place to start?  A book that rocked the world a couple of decades ago.

The Secret

Penned by an Australian woman of the name Rhonda Byrne, this book sold millions worldwide and in fact, certain celebrities have come out and said that The Secret changed their lives.

https://medium.com/@philip_michael/success-secrets-7-epic-law-of-attraction-quotes-from-conor-mcgregor-4c07c858db43

Connor Macgregor has openly admitted that he read the book many years ago, but didn’t really grasp its meaning, then he watched a video version of The Secret, (link below), which was much more graphic and a little simplified. It clicked, and from that moment on, there was never any doubt in his mind that he was going to become successful, after all, the laws of attraction are always at work.

I urge you to read the book, or watch the video version below, and approach this with an open mind, is all I ask. The great thing about The Secret is it does not try to ram something down your throat, it merely presents information and encourages the reader to do some research. Here is a link to the video version of the book The Secret, which was put out by a non-profit org in an effort to reach more people.

The Laws of Attraction

The laws of attraction work much like gravity does in this 3D world we live in; you can’t turn it on and off, everything we think about has an effect. This explains why some negative thinkers I have known are ALWAYS heading for an incident, unknown to themselves, they are subconsciously attracting bad things because they spend so much time thinking about bad things! One thing after another, I’d call one of these guys, and from the moment he answers, I have listen to accounts of bad things he’s experienced since we last spoke, and he goes on and on …….

Here are a few links re the laws of attraction ….

http://www.thelawofattraction.com/what-is-the-law-of-attraction/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_attraction_(New_Thought)

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-blame-game/201609/the-truth-about-the-law-attraction

Think and It Shall Be

So, perhaps one can deduce that all one has to do is spend every waking moment visualizing driving Ferraris and chilling by the pool with a dozen lovelies! It isn’t that simple. Much like anything else, the right action is also required, so you basically have to decide what exactly you want, then become that in your mind before you actually reach your goal. Connor Macgregor (love him or hate him, he achieved his goals and he puts it all down to the laws of attraction) was earning £12 a week as a plumber’s apprentice when he discovered the secret, but in his mind, he was already rich and famous.

So, without the right action, the laws of attraction will not magically conjure up your dream lifestyle, but with the right action, focused energy and lots of determination, there’s simply no way you won’t get your goal. I hope we are all clear on this point, thought alone is not enough, although it will certainly help.

Your goal doesn’t have to be about money at all, you could simply see yourself as a happy individual with everything they need in their life to bring happiness. That’s as good a goal, if not better, than wanting wealth and luxurious living, so the message is this, however you wish your life to be, visualise that you are already living that life, and spend as much time as you can daydreaming about it, because the more your conscious mind thinks about that lifestyle, the more you are attracting it to yourself.

I’ll give you my example,

I realized this long ago and therefore, all my thoughts are nice. I love every living thing and nothing but good comes my way. I am kind and compassionate, and such is my mental strength that I automatically turn a negative into a positive. If I see something negative, I turn it into a positive! I refuse to think about anything negative, and the few friends I do have, actually envy my lifestyle, they say I am always so lucky and things seem to slot into place.

Not Plain Sailing

Yes, I do have situations that arise, but when they do, I smile and relax, because I know it will work itself out. And it always does. The secret is how I respond to a negative situation. I make it positive. I don’t attract badness, I attract goodness and happiness.

Attaining this level of controlling the conscious mind didn’t just come to me in a dream, it took 15 years for me to reach this stage. I know the fact that my life is so nice is nothing to with luck, it is due to me understanding the laws of attraction and applying them every waking second.

Why Post?

I was relaxing in my garden the other day, when I thought, “Wouldn’t this world be a wonderful place if everyone knew about the laws of attraction?”

If this thread, which I hope will become a discussion platform, changes one person’s life for the better, it will be worth it. I know of a couple of TV members who have pretty much figured out the laws of attraction also, and hopefully they will see this thread and post.

I am hoping that you will take the time to do a little research on this, and should you wish to ask me anything, I’m happy to answer.

I do not profess to be some guru, rather I understand the laws of attraction and apply them to my life, and if this thread can make a difference in other people’s lives, great!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I look it at like the poles of a magnet, one attracts the other repels.

Ones attitude toward a situation, as I have said many many times on this forum can make a huge difference to your own well being and the outcome.

To add a little more about me,

6 years ago I was teaching English and decided one day to quit and become a professional writer.

I did, I am and now run my own publishing company, so I do walk the walk ????

It didn’t know what it was called and didn’t think about it much when I was younger but I used visualization and positive thought, without knowing it was a thing or that not everyone experienced the same thing in their lives.  More recently my wife found NLP and a coach in the vein of Tony Robbins.  Watching her grow and evolve as she studied to become a life coach got me thinking about my own life and how positive mental attitude had played a major role in molding my destiny.

My wife and her life coach friends are now eagerly spreading their new found positive message through seminars at local schools and juvenile detention centers.  With each seminar, interest grows and they get more requests.  People are hungry for a more positive approach to life and escape from the negativity which surrounds them.  This is not a traditional Thai approach but people seem to be responding favorably.

I think PMA is a very un-Buddhist and un-Thai like concept.

Buddhism teaches people to see the world with an unblinking eye as it is, without filters, rose colored or otherwise. Thais are way too pragmatic and down to earth to go for such a cerebral concept. I've met Thais who I believe consciously projected an affable demeanor because it paid social dividends, but I've never felt a Thai was practicing PMA in the hopes of receiving karmic or psychological benefits. I think running around with a 'happy, happy, happy' demeanor in Thailand puts you at risk for being perceived as an unaware and naive person who can be more easily taken advantage of.

I have always viewed the concept with skepticism, an exercise in self-deception and outward pretense which undermines the otherwise healing and rejuvenative processes of self-reflection and introspection.

3 hours ago, geronimo said:

It sure does No.1 it pulls you through the ups and downs in life which follows, simple psychology really and cognitive processes. 

I have always had 3 lives, social public, private family & secret.

Your native American Indian pix reminds of a perfect true quote from a very old Indian being asked a question by a American politician.  

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

I have always viewed the concept with skepticism, an exercise in self-deception and outward pretense which undermines the otherwise healing and rejuvenative processes of self-reflection and introspection.

Yep, way better to be honest and realistic. 

Any man who's been through divorce [or bereavement, redundancy or home repossession] will understand this. The healing process takes time and, as you say, requires introspection. Walking around feeling "happy clappy" and hugging everyone in sight is plain dumb.  

But a positive attitude towards career goals is usually a good thing [as long as the goals are realistic and achievable].

I think some have or get the wrong idea, it's not about smiling and grinning like a Cheshire cat at everything, it's about positive action and attitude that you can and will achieve something, not letting things disuade you or deviate you..There is always a way etc, well, that's my interpretation anyway.

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

I think some have or get the wrong idea, it's not about smiling and grinning like a Cheshire cat at everything, it's about positive action and attitude that you can and will achieve something, not letting things disuade you or deviate you..There is always a way etc, well, that's my interpretation anyway.

It's a few beers for me...:stoner:

Buddhism teaches people to see the world with an unblinking eye as it is, without filters, rose colored or otherwise. Thais are way too pragmatic and down to earth to go for such a cerebral concept. I've met Thais who I believe consciously projected an affable demeanor because it paid social dividends, but I've never felt a Thai was practicing PMA in the hopes of receiving karmic or psychological benefits. I think running around with a 'happy, happy, happy' demeanor in Thailand puts you at risk for being perceived as an unaware and naive person who can be more easily taken advantage of.

Well,here's a poster with a bit of intelligence...

Voltaire was the first author to really call 'em out on this with his "the best of all possible worlds" malarkey in 'Candide'

Tho' Rabelais had cocked a snoot in 'Gargantua and Pantagruel'

Most "self help" is pavlova for the masses.

Seeing the good in everything is very Buddhist ....

26 minutes ago, Pharoticus said:

Any man who's been through divorce [or bereavement, redundancy or home repossession] will understand this. The healing process takes time and, as you say, requires introspection. Walking around feeling "happy clappy" and hugging everyone in sight is plain dumb.  

But a positive attitude towards career goals is usually a good thing [as long as the goals are realistic and achievable].

What about a positive attitude to life in general, regardless of age? I don't see this as something that's exclusively for the young.

28 minutes ago, Pharoticus said:

Correct.  Have a well balanced mental state.

You are a fool and mad if you go about 'seeing the good' in EVERYTHING.  That is not possible.  There is a lot of BAD in some things, and to ignore that is delusional and not helpful to your mental health.

However, seeing the bad in everything and being overly negative is even worse.  Look at how many people have such good lives, family, homes and no money worries, yet they mess themselves up on a self destruct and are negative about other people and their lives... becoming self centred and very unhappy people.

There is no magic way to get a happy easy life.  A lot of what happens to us is just down to luck and chance.  But, yes, you are going to enjoy your life more if you tend to think more rationally and positively about things in the long run.  

Balance.... not overly negative or overly positive..... 

With every idea, argument or discussion there are always those who will agree and those who will disagree. Some will assert their opinion is a sign of greater intellect.  I support the right of individuals to believe what they want to believe and live their own lives accordingly but not for them to try and marginalize my views or silence them.

Just now, jak2002003 said:

Correct.  Have a well balanced mental state.

You are a fool and mad if you go about 'seeing the good' in EVERYTHING.  That is not possible.  There is a lot of BAD in some things, and to ignore that is delusional and not helpful to your mental health.

However, seeing the bad in everything and being overly negative is even worse.  Look at how many people have such good lives, family, homes and no money worries, yet they mess themselves up on a self destruct and are negative about other people and their lives... becoming self centred and very unhappy people.

There is no magic way to get a happy easy life.  A lot of what happens to us is just down to luck and chance.  But, yes, you are going to enjoy your life more if you tend to think more rationally and positively about things in the long run.  

Balance.... not overly negative or overly positive..... 

I beg to differ, seeing the good in everything is perfectly possible, and yes, I do ignore negative things that I cannot change. I think you, like quite a lot of others are not even prepared to approach the topic with an open mind, and therefore, shooting it down without further thought.

Words and thoughts are very powerful things. I have long felt that our brains are fairly pliable instruments. We can get ourselves to believe just about anything we tell ourselves. So, why not tell ourselves positive things? About life, about love, about the place we live, the people we live with, the people we are surrounded by, our families, the passions we have, the gifts we have been given in this life? If you think it, you start to believe it.

There is no doubt about the benefits of positivity. I find it absolutely infectious to be around positive people, and absolutely repelling to be around negative people. It is not an easy thing to be positive. It takes a tremendous amount of will, energy, consciousness, awareness, volition, desire, and perspective. But, it is worth making the effort. The use of positive affirmations can really help. Some perspective is needed, to maintain the effort. It is about inner work. Some do not like doing inner work. It is difficult. But, really worth it. 

I find with myself, when I do not focus my energy on keeping it light, and keeping it positive, the gravity of the earth (so to speak) tends to bring one down, and cause one to be negative. However, when I say negative things (criticisms on this forum do not count, as they are educational! LOL) it does tend to bring me down, and when I make an effort to be positive, I can feel the lightness of heart, and a sense of upliftment from it. 

1 minute ago, geronimo said:

I beg to differ, seeing the good in everything is perfectly possible, and yes, I do ignore negative things that I cannot change. I think you, like quite a lot of others are not even prepared to approach the topic with an open mind, and therefore, shooting it down without further thought.

I don't wish to be patronising, but how old are you... because maybe you have not had a lot of life experience so far or a very sheltered life?

I am approaching this topic with an open mind... are you, because your mind seems closed to listen to any opinion that differs from yours.  I also said I did believe positive thinking is a benefit to a happy life, and negative thinking is a disadvantage... but I just did not believe that you can not see any bad in anything in life and ignore suffering.

For example, how can you 'see the good' in having a terrible painful and long lasting terminal disease?  How can you see the good in getting attacked, raped, abused?  What about if you have a baby or child and they get abducted, tortured and killed... you will see the good in that?  If your best friend or partner commits suicide, or your pet cat gets set on fire by teenagers.... you can see good in it?

As bad as it can be we actually need some negative experiences and bad things to happen to us in order for us to learn and develop our personal growth.

I find it sickening and immoral that you admit you ignore negative things in life... so people suffering and you would be thinking it was a good thing and be happy yourself and ignore them?  Or maybe because its not happening to you and your life is so nice you don't care about them?  

I noticed that some folk are IMO confusing PMA with an attitude of "seeing the good in everything", whereas they are actually mutually exclusive and indeed someone with a positive mental attitude can still see that there are bad things which happen, and also can look at them introspectively to understand why they happen, and once done can then move on in a positive mode.

CBT, or cognitive behavioural therapy is a fantastic way of being able to find out one's drivers/why one behaves the way one does and is proven to work, not because it is mumbo-jumbo, but because it is based on us having our human frailties and the mind operating the way it does with regards to retained memories and so on.

I always remember a human resources teacher I once had many years ago who used to tell a story about someone who was given a task to do and who stated, "I won't be able to do that, it is too hard" (or words that affect). And sure enough when they couldn't finish the task would turn round to the boss and say, I told you I couldn't do it – – and in doing so were able to perversely prove to themselves that they were right in the first place. Negative thinking had won the day (my HR guy labelled this "a self fulfilling prophesy" affect).

I am all for a positive mental attitude for me, and the circumstances that surround me, and can still remain positive, even though "sh1t happens" all over the place!!! No, not an oxymoron!

1 minute ago, jak2002003 said:

I don't wish to be patronising, but how old are you... because maybe you have not had a lot of life experience so far or a very sheltered life?

I am approaching this topic with an open mind... are you, because your mind seems closed to listen to any opinion that differs from yours.  I also said I did believe positive thinking is a benefit to a happy life, and negative thinking is a disadvantage... but I just did not believe that you can not see any bad in anything in life and ignore suffering.

For example, how can you 'see the good' in having a terrible painful and long lasting terminal disease?  How can you see the good in getting attacked, raped, abused?  What about if you have a baby or child and they get abducted, tortured and killed... you will see the good in that?  If your best friend or partner commits suicide, or your pet cat gets set on fire by teenagers.... you can see good in it?

As bad as it can be we actually need some negative experiences and bad things to happen to us in order for us to learn and develop our personal growth.

I find it sickening and immoral that you admit you ignore negative things in life... so people suffering and you would be thinking it was a good thing and be happy yourself and ignore them?  Or maybe because its not happening to you and your life is so nice you don't care about them?  

For the record, I am 63, and if I did spend some time pondering on the ill-fortunes of some, would it make any difference to their situation? No. I agree that we all grow from negative interactions (I've had plenty of those). You are trying to make this a black and white thing, when it is actually quite grey. I see the good in everything (I think about) which means I don't ponder on negative things period.

1 minute ago, geronimo said:

For the record, I am 63, and if I did spend some time pondering on the ill-fortunes of some, would it make any difference to their situation? No. I agree that we all grow from negative interactions (I've had plenty of those). You are trying to make this a black and white thing, when it is actually quite grey. I see the good in everything (I think about) which means I don't ponder on negative things period.

You 'spent time pondering the ill-fortunes of some'.  Wow.  How about getting off you bottom out of your garden and helping people and help the world to be a better place?  You know recognising bad things and suffering, and actually doing something to reduce it or ease it is very rewarding for yourself as well as the people you help.  It give your perspective to see the truly good things in your life that others don't have.  For me its not about trying to attain happiness for myself as a goad or reward.

From my understanding of your posts (and I admit I might be mistaken)all your are doing is shutting off your mind and turning a blind eye to suffering and negative things that are happening around you.Basically sticking your head in the sand, isolating yourself and pretending everything is good and fine in the world.

I am glad for you if you think sitting alone in a garden is all you need to be happy in your life.  But other people need a lot more, and I personally think life is far to valuable to isolate myself form reality and the needs of others, and pretend everything is 'good'.

2 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

You 'spent time pondering the ill-fortunes of some'.  Wow.  How about getting off you bottom out of your garden and helping people and help the world to be a better place?  You know recognising bad things and suffering, and actually doing something to reduce it or ease it is very rewarding for yourself as well as the people you help.  It give your perspective to see the truly good things in your life that others don't have.  For me its not about trying to attain happiness for myself as a goad or reward.

From my understanding of your posts (and I admit I might be mistaken)all your are doing is shutting off your mind and turning a blind eye to suffering and negative things that are happening around you.Basically sticking your head in the sand, isolating yourself and pretending everything is good and fine in the world.

I am glad for you if you think sitting alone in a garden is all you need to be happy in your life.  But other people need a lot more, and I personally think life is far to valuable to isolate myself form reality and the needs of others, and pretend everything is 'good'.

If you read my post correctly, you'll see that I said the magic word"if' which means I did not spent a moment pondering on the ill fortunes of others. Get it right sir!

Archived