Confused over which type of sensitization

HTC

I am about to have an over ground pool constructed. My land is on a slope and there will be enough space to house the pump, filter and sanitiser under the pool.

Small concrete/tiled pool, dimensions are 5m x 3.5m with a water depth of 1.4m. It will be an infinity pool with overflow on one side. I calculate 24.5m3 of water to clean.

I had previously decided on a salt chlorinator system as I want less chlorine in the water and the easier maintenance. I am aware of the higher initial setup cost.

I have seen UV sanitisers online and I am interested.

Am I correct in thinking I can use UV without the salt system and then add chlorine manually to a similar amount as experienced in a salt water pool?

Essentially I want low maintenance with a low amount of chlorine.

The pool shops near me (Samui) don't mention UV.

Finally I have been quoted for a salt system some parts include:

PPL smart 20 pump 1hp 0.8kw, 24,900฿

PPL Sand filter 24", 31,300฿

PPL salt chlorinator, 42,400฿

I haven't heard of PPL equipment before. Comparing to other manufacturers, these prices seem high.

Are PPL any good? Also I'm worried to be tied to difficult to source replacement parts.

Thanks for any help.

-your total filtration volume is 24.5m3 plus 4.5 m3 of the balance tank.

-chlorinating the water by "salt" does not reduce the CL content of the pool water (no matter what fairy tales you might have heard and read).

-UVsanitation on it's own is either not sufficient or too expensive (been there, done that).

-prices of pump and filter indicate that both are 24k gold plated with embedded small diamonds.

hint: compare a "normal" 1HP pump for 3,000 Baht with a "pool" 1HP pump for 25,000 Baht.

I had a UV system fitted in my new pool 2 years ago.  Works well. Salt chlorinator not needed,  I just drop a chlorine tablet into the filter every week and that kills what is left of anything nasty.  Good system and a lot less work and expense

As Naam, having salt chlorination does not necessarily equal less chlorine; on the contrary if you get the output wrong, you can easily over-chlorinate. People tend to be sold by the 'natural' production of chlorine as opposed to manually dosing chemicals. It's all chlorine ateotd. Can be softer on the skin, but need to bear in mind the cost of getting the salt in there and potential damage to pool and associated equipment. They can work well if you get them set up right - and yes a UV system would typically be considered supplementation - but there is no substitute for auto-dosing imo. I would not have a pool unless I could afford the latter together with an auto-cover.

Thanks for all the information.

I've found out that the system quoted is their own brand. After searching online I realise this company is overpriced (they use Pool Pro&Lab based in Bangkok).

So for a salt water chlorinator is it basically the same amount of chlorine going into the pool? If so, I think I will stay away from this method based on the potential corrosion issues.

I am very interested in UV now. So I can use this system as the primary sanitiser and then add chlorine tablets for residual chlorine to a lesser amount than a conventional chlorine and salt chlorinator setup?

I see there are auto sensing devices available. I assume they inject liquid chlorine based on what the sensors read.

Are there auto sensing tablet versions?

Thanks for the help so far.

I had a UV system fitted in my new pool 2 years ago.  Works well. Salt chlorinator not needed,  I just drop a chlorine tablet into the filter every week and that kills what is left of anything nasty.  Good system and a lot less work and expense
Hi, could you let me know which brand of UV you are using.

The pool shop close to me is offering Emaux and Astral products.

I am definitely looking at auto-dosing. Not that much extra cost in my opinion.

6 hours ago, HTC said:

Nano Tech by Emaux. Been working fine for the past 2 years. New tubes needed every 4/5 years. 

On 7/20/2019 at 8:56 AM, HTC said:

Thanks for all the information.

I've found out that the system quoted is their own brand. After searching online I realise this company is overpriced (they use Pool Pro&Lab based in Bangkok).

So for a salt water chlorinator is it basically the same amount of chlorine going into the pool? If so, I think I will stay away from this method based on the potential corrosion issues.

I am very interested in UV now. So I can use this system as the primary sanitiser and then add chlorine tablets for residual chlorine to a lesser amount than a conventional chlorine and salt chlorinator setup?

I see there are auto sensing devices available. I assume they inject liquid chlorine based on what the sensors read.

Are there auto sensing tablet versions?

Thanks for the help so far.

Some advice and pointers on the observations you have made.

You can adjust the the chlorine output on an electrochlorinator to your desired level.As example short video is about an Astral unit, there are others available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75O4q80sSic

The potential corrosion issues are pretty non existence with todays modern pumps tile grout and pool equipment, just ensure ladders etc are made from 316 s/s also ensuring your water is in balance.

UV is a fantastic sanitizer  but the units have to be properly maintained for them to work effectively.

Most home use pools do not have Built in UV sensors to measure the output so a measure of there effectiveness is a bit hit and miss. Ideally for UV to be effective it should run 24/7 and you would only need a residual of Chlorine of .5 ppm to prevent cross infection. The water also needs to be crystal clear with a transmisity level of 95% as this decreases the the efficiency of the lamp decreases as well

The big advantage of UV is that it can kill pathogens such as cryptosporidium that chlorine can't.

UV is an ideal companion run along side traditional disinfection products as it has the ability to break down combined chlorine

https://www.emauxgroup.com/downloads/dl/file/id/361/product/106/

The twice yearly maintenance program is in the file above.

Auto sensing and dosing.

There are many different kinds the market some better than others ie the more you spend the better the unit. Yes they will dose both liquid chlorine and acid.

You can get tablet feeders called erosion feeders and  the amount of chlorine is controlled by a solenoid valve. 

THE BIG ONE DO NOT EVEN THINK OF GETTING AN AUTO DOSING UNIT FOR CHLORINE FOR AN OUTDOOR POOL.

The reason I say this is because you will have to use a stabilizer for the chlorine unless you can guarantee that the levels of cynuric acid do not exceed 25 ppm the chlorine sensing cell will give false readings and overdoes the pool

Have spent all my working life dealing with water starting in the Royal Engineers  and moving onto leisure water in the past 30 years of my working life.

I installed the first commercial UV in the UK an also before I retired the largest 750M/3 per hour.

and been an agent for some of the big names in auto dosing.

If you don't want chlorine in  your pool there are products about that work my advice to you is to contact forum member bagwan who will steer you in the right direction. beware there are a lot of bogus claims made about such products he should put you straight. Good luck

'The potential corrosion issues are pretty non existence with todays modern pumps tile grout and pool equipment, just ensure ladders etc are made from 316 s/s also ensuring your water is in balance.'

While the ladders are made from 316 s/s, also check that the round cover plates or stair end caps are the same. I never thought about it, but noticed last year that mine aren't 316 ss.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

On 7/25/2019 at 8:30 AM, HTC said:

It will be the chlorine tablet doing the bulk of the killing & the UV mopping up.

UV is useless on it own and the bulbs need cleaning 3 - 6 monthly with alcohol!

That is if the UV bulb is not glass but crystal. If glass they don't work!

It will be the chlorine tablet doing the bulk of the killing & the UV mopping up.
UV is useless on it own and the bulbs need cleaning 3 - 6 monthly with alcohol!
That is if the UV bulb is not glass but crystal. If glass they don't work!
Thanks for your input. I have decided to go for salt chlorination.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Has anyone had experience with either of these salt chlorinators?

Kripsol ProM-LSIS 16
Emaux SCC-Mini

My pool shop is pushing for the Kripsol unit at about 31,000฿ but I don't see much online about it. It has a nice digital pH display.

The Emaux comes in at about 17,000฿. Seems the Emaux has a greater output per hour.

Both have titanium plates.

Not sure which to choose.

On 8/2/2019 at 9:17 AM, HTC said:

Has anyone had experience with either of these salt chlorinators?

Kripsol ProM-LSIS 16
Emaux SCC-Mini

My pool shop is pushing for the Kripsol unit at about 31,000฿ but I don't see much online about it. It has a nice digital pH display.

The Emaux comes in at about 17,000฿. Seems the Emaux has a greater output per hour.

Both have titanium plates.

Not sure which to choose.

Yes I have had nightmares with Emaux. (10 in one establishment) Stay away.

Kripsol over rated & not up to spec.

I only deal with a 100% made in Australia with Australian parts brand now with 3 yr warranty.

Bulletproof.

PM me for details.

On 7/25/2019 at 5:27 PM, sappersrest said:

Some advice and pointers on the observations you have made.

You can adjust the the chlorine output on an electrochlorinator to your desired level.As example short video is about an Astral unit, there are others available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75O4q80sSic

The potential corrosion issues are pretty non existence with todays modern pumps tile grout and pool equipment, just ensure ladders etc are made from 316 s/s also ensuring your water is in balance.

UV is a fantastic sanitizer  but the units have to be properly maintained for them to work effectively.

Most home use pools do not have Built in UV sensors to measure the output so a measure of there effectiveness is a bit hit and miss. Ideally for UV to be effective it should run 24/7 and you would only need a residual of Chlorine of .5 ppm to prevent cross infection. The water also needs to be crystal clear with a transmisity level of 95% as this decreases the the efficiency of the lamp decreases as well

The big advantage of UV is that it can kill pathogens such as cryptosporidium that chlorine can't.

UV is an ideal companion run along side traditional disinfection products as it has the ability to break down combined chlorine

https://www.emauxgroup.com/downloads/dl/file/id/361/product/106/

The twice yearly maintenance program is in the file above.

Auto sensing and dosing.

There are many different kinds the market some better than others ie the more you spend the better the unit. Yes they will dose both liquid chlorine and acid.

You can get tablet feeders called erosion feeders and  the amount of chlorine is controlled by a solenoid valve. 

THE BIG ONE DO NOT EVEN THINK OF GETTING AN AUTO DOSING UNIT FOR CHLORINE FOR AN OUTDOOR POOL.

The reason I say this is because you will have to use a stabilizer for the chlorine unless you can guarantee that the levels of cynuric acid do not exceed 25 ppm the chlorine sensing cell will give false readings and overdoes the pool

Have spent all my working life dealing with water starting in the Royal Engineers  and moving onto leisure water in the past 30 years of my working life.

I installed the first commercial UV in the UK an also before I retired the largest 750M/3 per hour.

and been an agent for some of the big names in auto dosing.

If you don't want chlorine in  your pool there are products about that work my advice to you is to contact forum member bagwan who will steer you in the right direction. beware there are a lot of bogus claims made about such products he should put you straight. Good luck

Thanks Sap!!

Archived