Pattaya: Thai maid steals 130,000 baht from three foreign tourists

webfact

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Shows what a complete waste of time those in-room safes are.

???

Can not even see what type of safe it is...

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

hese cheap hotel safes often have a general password which is the same on all models and can be found online

I have worked for a leading company in the sale of safes designed for hotels, these safes did indeed have multiple master passwords, but hotels were advised to change them as soon as they were installed, whether they did or did not was up to the hotel, it was/is the hotels responsibility to whom they intrust these passwords.

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

In case they don't have it they can usually still be opened in less than a minute without special tools if you know how, there are many youtube videos explaining it.

Those videos normally refer to one design (cheap and nasty) out of China not designed for hotel use, the trick is to use the vulnerability of that type of safe that used a electric solenoid to open, the safes I worked on used an electric motor not so vulnerable.

4 minutes ago, Basil B said:

???

Can not even see what type of safe it is...

What difference does it make? By definition any safe in a hotel room will have some sort of master key or master code or management override. That makes them all useless as far as I can see.

5 hours ago, Skallywag said:

There is no statement on HOW she got into the room safes?  Were they left open?  Mine has a 4 digit combination and a key.  She stole the spare room key to gain entry is all it says.  

You can get the wanted information on Youtube. These are not SAFEs. Just cases. You need no key.

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

These cheap hotel safes often have a general password which is the same on all models and can be found online

In case they don't have it they can usually still be opened in less than a minute without special tools if you know how, there are many youtube videos explaining it.

they have a Key that opens them also in case the  battery dies and or the combination is lost or forgotten.  At one guest house I stayed at the "owner came up and opened the safe.  So that key is of course the weakest link and not too hard to know where it is

I went to a 4 stars hotel in Koh Chang 2 years ago.  I put my passport and laptop in the safe before going out. 
To my surprise, inside the safe was a document saying " if you forget your code (4 digits code) just press 0000 and the safe will open...

I tried 0000 and it worked. I called the reception to ask about it and they didn't care and said it was for my safety in case I forget the code. 

In the end i carried my laptop and passport while going to the beach

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

This is not the case whereby a person steals because he/she has to eat, but out of criminal intent, and thus should be dealt using the full force of the law, if only to show that people's money and valuables kept in safes in homes and hotel are protected by the law...

And the scary thing is even the safe is not safe!!

24 minutes ago, anthobkk said:

I went to a 4 stars hotel in Koh Chang 2 years ago.  I put my passport and laptop in the safe before going out. 
To my surprise, inside the safe was a document saying " if you forget your code (4 digits code) just press 0000 and the safe will open...

I tried 0000 and it worked. I called the reception to ask about it and they didn't care and said it was for my safety in case I forget the code. 

In the end i carried my laptop and passport while going to the beach

7 years ago I had 10,000 go missing from a safe on Kho Chang. Did not realize until 2 day's later and 400 miles away! It was with other cash as I had only just returned to LOS!

9 hours ago, Skallywag said:

There is no statement on HOW she got into the room safes?  Were they left open?  Mine has a 4 digit combination and a key.  She stole the spare room key to gain entry is all it says.  

These safes are so easy to get into, you would not believe - it's one of my party tricks.

A friend was closing down her hotel, several rooms had safes but the codes were not known and the backup keys were lost. I opened each one in less than 30 seconds, no tools or equipment needed, and no damage to anything.

I am not going to tell you how, but Mr. Google knows!

Maybe choose a condo next time, no need for a safe really. Just keep your money in the bank or hide them under the mattress.

And if you need a maid, watch her clean your room. Also make sure she is younger and better looking.....

7 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Unfortunately hotel safes are renowned for their lack of safety aspect.

Plenty of YouTube videos showing how easily they can be opened with various objects, including a potato !! ????

There’s no other options, from today all potato’s must be banned. (They are from farrangland anyhow)

11 hours ago, faraday said:

I think NCC needs to clear this matter up.

I suggest he posts a pic of himself wearing the Pink Leotard that Trans has....

:clap2:

Wow, you guy sure give him what's for, ease up, ha ha ha ha 

Was in pattaya 2 weeks ago, and checked into hotel . Previous guests locked safe , didn,t let hotel know combination. So hotel staff had a master key, and opened safe i a matter of seconds, iwas qujte surprised i never knew it was so easy to unlock. So next time you use hotelsafe please know your valuables arenot as safe as you think.

Archived