Pattaya: Thai maid steals 130,000 baht from three foreign tourists

webfact

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, teav said:

So next time you use hotel safe please know your valuables arenot as safe as you think.

It's safer in your pocket.  I keep the cash and ATM card inside a secret pocket in my shirt. 

20 hours ago, Skallywag said:

There is no statement on HOW she got into the room safes?  Were they left open?  Mine has a 4 digit combination and a key.  She stole the spare room key to gain entry is all it says.  

There is code to wipe and enable reset if four digit personal code is forgotten 

5 hours ago, balo said:

It's safer in your pocket.  I keep the cash and ATM card inside a secret pocket in my shirt. 

YEs.

It is what I do when travel anyplace.

Keep most if not all of it on my person.

At least then there is a barrier between them and my money.

Good luck getting it.

7 hours ago, teav said:

Was in pattaya 2 weeks ago, and checked into hotel . Previous guests locked safe , didn,t let hotel know combination. So hotel staff had a master key, and opened safe i a matter of seconds, iwas qujte surprised i never knew it was so easy to unlock. So next time you use hotelsafe please know your valuables arenot as safe as you think.

Heard quite a few horror stories over the years wrt safes, but personally only had an issue once in 'lockers' behind reception. I know that safes can be opened, sometimes with an override key and others with an over-ride code. One incidence in a cheap pace a friend slept while someone came in the room and opened the safe. Another, a low-life owner's child had access to the keys. You just don't know. Once when I checked into a room, and the safe was locked, I had them come to open it and it was a right palaver. A maintenance guy had to plug a laptop into it and set up an interface. He got sent away as a manager guy tapped in a code. I felt confident there. 

3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

There is code to wipe and enable reset if four digit personal code is forgotten 

And what about the key?  I am referring to my personal safe in a condo anyway. 

Hotel safes are definitely not so "safe", I agree.

Not sure why people do not just keep their money in the bank is what is astounding to me.

3 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

And what about the key?  I am referring to my personal safe in a condo anyway. 

Some require a code and a key to open them. Those often have a second key access for emergencies. Mine simply has one override circular key in case you forget the code or the batteries are flat. Access is hidden behind the batteries. So many different types with varying levels of security, sadly most Pattaya hotels buy cheap. I would have little confidence of the average Thai being trustworthy in security matters. 

Archived