Chance of no-deal Brexit rises as Johnson leads Hunt - Reuters poll

webfact

8 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

It's mostly the losing class that shout for Brexit the most and the Thailand contingent are / will feel the pain the most with the screws turned on 2 fronts. Maybe they should have husbanded their lives and finances with more care during their lives rather than blaming their dispossession on the EU in their dotage. Throughout this process the EU have shown their professionalism , sense of purpose unity and direction as they try to keep a friend on board or allow us to leave with dignity. You look at the million people's march and all the variety of nice , articulate , decent Brits and then the snarling, sloganeering , yobbish leavers on their day of rage in the capital and you have you ask yourself which Britain you are proud to belong to. 

You seem to have put the opposite into just about everything there. Nice music though.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But they can't come back most are single old men eking out miserable lives on frozen pensions in an increasingly hostile Thailand with a rapidly declining pound. If they have burned their bridges back home with family and friends and let's face facts many of the expat refugees are like that then they will be homeless , bitter old sexpats homeless in two countries. Brexit was their last deluded hope for some final happiness in their lives seeing a Britain of their childhood (sans immigrants) appear as if like magic and like the drowning men that they are they remain clinging to the sinking life raft of misguided hope. If that goes there is nothing. Just a cold , uncaring universe with their end in sight looming up ahead. They would rather we all sink in their ship rather than reason prevail. Like the English beggar below hope is all they have left. They need help and love not hatred. 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/15597302.a-ballad-of-blame-from-a-brexiteer-beggar/

“But now, now - England is looking after its own. Finally.”

This point of view represents everything I have spent a lifetime fighting, a fight that has been woven into the fabric of the post-Scottish Referendum age, a fight that must now continue as the mis-sold lies of the Brexiteers drag an increasingly unwilling dis-United Kingdom out of the European Union and into the virgin wilderness. But I was also acutely aware that this guy had been sleeping rough, living on his wits and had been shunned and ignored in the world’s fifth wealthiest country. Wouldn’t you feel overlooked? But to suggest that he suffered unduly because he was a white man, born and brought up in England just didn’t feel right. The contagion of blaming other people, the wrong people for society’s ills has become something of a national sport south of the border.

Some very dramatic codswallop there too. 

7 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

But they can't come back most are single old men eking out miserable lives on frozen pensions in an increasingly hostile Thailand with a rapidly declining pound. If they have burned their bridges back home with family and friends and let's face facts many of the expat refugees are like that then they will be homeless , bitter old sexpats homeless in two countries. Brexit was their last deluded hope for some final happiness in their lives seeing a Britain of their childhood (sans immigrants) appear as if like magic and like the drowning men that they are they remain clinging to the sinking life raft of misguided hope. If that goes there is nothing. Just a cold , uncaring universe with their end in sight looming up ahead. They would rather we all sink in their ship rather than reason prevail. Like the English beggar below hope is all they have left. They need help and love not hatred. 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/15597302.a-ballad-of-blame-from-a-brexiteer-beggar/

This point of view represents everything I have spent a lifetime fighting, a fight that has been woven into the fabric of the post-Scottish Referendum age, a fight that must now continue as the mis-sold lies of the Brexiteers drag an increasingly unwilling dis-United Kingdom out of the European Union and into the virgin wilderness. But I was also acutely aware that this guy had been sleeping rough, living on his wits and had been shunned and ignored in the world’s fifth wealthiest country. Wouldn’t you feel overlooked? But to suggest that he suffered unduly because he was a white man, born and brought up in England just didn’t feel right. The contagion of blaming other people, the wrong people for society’s ills has become something of a national sport south of the border.

Wow. I am none of what you describe (mid 40's, earn in Baht, owner of property which is rented out in the UK) but that is possibly the nastiest, most vitriolic post I ever read on TV. Truly depressing to read. Is that really how you feel about your ageing fellow countrymen?

I hope you were drunk when you typed that. For your sake. Wow.

Oh Oh !...poor Boris feel almost sorry for him ….. I said "ALMOST "...

(British politics is fun ...really entertaining as long not being a Brit …???? ) )

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/18/tory-rebels-send-stark-warning-to-boris-johnson-over-no-deal-brexit

Tory rebels send stark warning to Boris Johnson over no-deal Brexit

Emphatic majority in vote aiming to prevent suspension of parliament in October

MPs have given Boris Johnson a brutal preview of the scale of the challenge facing his premiership, as Conservative rebels voted to block any attempt to suspend parliament in order to force through a no-deal Brexit.

The new measure was passed by a hefty 41-vote majority, after a day of drama in Westminster which saw the resignation of one minister and abstentions from four rebellious cabinet ministers, who will soon be on the backbenches, as well as half a dozen others.

Among ministers who defied the whip and did not vote on the complex backbench amendment were the chancellor, Philip Hammond; the justice secretary, David Gauke; the business secretary, Greg Clark; and Rory Stewart, the international development secretary.

Hammond, who will end three years as chancellor next week, warned the next prime minister that he would be at the forefront of Conservative MPs opposing a no-deal Brexit.“If they are genuinely seeking a deal, then they have my full support. If not, I’ll fight no deal every inch of the way,” Hammond said.

Wow, that is some vitriolic post, interestingly enough the lady below has only heard racist comments coming from remainers.

That you still use the term 'DHSS' speaks volumes of just how in touch you are with contemporary Britain. The DHSS ceased to be in 1988.

It only speaks volumes about how in touch I am with the welfare state. Enjoy it when you get back, because you are obviously not enjoying Thailand anymore. The Brexiteer are though!

7 hours ago, Jip99 said:

+1

When all the fluff, BS and bluster is stripped away what you describe is exactly what we have.

It is also inexcusable that 3 years on we are no further forward. I blame May for that, although she was given little help from here or the EU. Whilst I am not a huge fan of Boris I do believe that he is better placed to get a renegotiated deal....... such renegotiation does not need to be that great. I don't think that 'no deal' is anyone's best interests but Boris is more likely to follow through if a better deal cannot be agreed.

But many of the tories intend to block a no deal along with labour so we are still stuck in the mud . Was there not any legality with the 2016 referendum ? the people had voted OUT . That should be honoured  . Looks like another general election and / or referendum is inevitable . MPs who do not follow their electorates decisions should be sacked .   How much longer is this debacle going to go on for ? 

Andrew Lloyd Webber  will be making a musical about it soon .   and the pound continues to sink .

Get Donald and Piers Morgan to sort it out cos no one else can .

8 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

With this 3+ year old news are we leaving or not now you have wrecked my pound to shrapnel causing dark days in paradise ????

Me, me, me............... obviously didn't vote Leave.

10 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

With this 3+ year old news are we leaving or not now you have wrecked my pound to shrapnel causing dark days in paradise ????

For crying out loud man: "wrecked the pound to shrapnel", "dark days in paradise". You really have bought into "Project Fear" haven't you? What next for you, cash in your remaining assets, buy a bridge on the internet and jump off it?

Yes, the pound is down. It is also able to recover. Any number of things in the future could lead to a run on Sterling, and locked in the dead embrace of an inevitable common European economic policy, run by Germany and France, there is the cubed root of b*gg*r all we would be able to do about it! Ask the Greeks!

The damage to Sterling has largely been caused by the uncertainty caused by this governments inherently deceitful approach to Brexit. That has finally cost May, who was responsible for that deceit, her job. But it is damage, and damage can be repaired.

8 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Wow. I am none of what you describe (mid 40's, earn in Baht, owner of property which is rented out in the UK) but that is possibly the nastiest, most vitriolic post I ever read on TV. Truly depressing to read. Is that really how you feel about your ageing fellow countrymen?

I hope you were drunk when you typed that. For your sake. Wow.

You haven't read much then - probably a bit over the top and you missed the bit about needing help and love not hate.  And yes I was drunk and angry when I penned it. Ageing Brits in Thailand are a mixed bunch and I have certainly met a few unfortunately that would fit the bill. I think we can all agree whatever happens Britain is riven down the middle there's an increase in hatred and anger all around and Bo Jo who would make my nastiest and vitriol seem like kids play in comparison to him is about to be elected. Great times that we are living in. I notice that one of the wisest and most amenable posters Grouse has stopped posting here probably because he is tired and weary of all the ignorance and economic stupidity peddled as wisdom. I suggest I do the same. It's your Brexit and you're welcome to it. 

1 minute ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

3 cans of lidl lager certainly got my bile juices flowing. 

Ah, you should listen to Billy more closely, he is the "Milkman of Human Kindness" he may leave an extra pint for you.

38 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Yes and I will vote the same in October by the look of it????

A sucker for punishment ????.......... at least you are familiar with losing.....

Don’t worry, Boris will save you the necessity of any further voting.

An interesting reprint this morning in the paper that can not be named, quoting an article from "The Guardian" that the EU is now planning to "offer" to extend the deadline. Quite a different tune from what they played a month ago.  Next step will be that the EU's absolutely "non negotiable" deal will, of course, be renegotiated. There isn't any other choice unless the UK cancels the whole thing.

Nobody, neither the UK nor the EU, wants a "No Deal" Brexit. This is a game of chicken, and right now it looks like the EU is getting less certain that the UK will flinch.  You can't bluff when it is obvious your opponent is going to call you on it. The real question is how much information is being passed back and forth between London and Brussels among those who are trying to stop this.  I suspect there is more cooperation than anyone is letting on.

Say what you want, but putting Boris in there is a good negotiating tactic. Kind of fun to watch this unfold from the stands. I feel sorry for the Brits who are actually going to be affected by it. To be honest, a part of me really wants to see the crash. It's like an accident on the highway. You just can't help but watch....

2 hours ago, Monomial said:

An interesting reprint this morning in the paper that can not be named, quoting an article from "The Guardian" that the EU is now planning to "offer" to extend the deadline. Quite a different tune from what they played a month ago.  Next step will be that the EU's absolutely "non negotiable" deal will, of course, be renegotiated. There isn't any other choice unless the UK cancels the whole thing.

Nobody, neither the UK nor the EU, wants a "No Deal" Brexit. This is a game of chicken, and right now it looks like the EU is getting less certain that the UK will flinch.  You can't bluff when it is obvious your opponent is going to call you on it. The real question is how much information is being passed back and forth between London and Brussels among those who are trying to stop this.  I suspect there is more cooperation than anyone is letting on.

Say what you want, but putting Boris in there is a good negotiating tactic. Kind of fun to watch this unfold from the stands. I feel sorry for the Brits who are actually going to be affected by it. To be honest, a part of me really wants to see the crash. It's like an accident on the highway. You just can't help but watch....

Anything near to the T.May deal is not acceptable .  The UK & EU can have free trade and also some movement of labour where needed . No subsidies from the EU  and no contributions from the UK . The UK government to assist farmers if needed and proven . Retain our fishing zones . No more bureaucratic  EU governing . UK nationals to have priority over UK jobs . The UK rules itself . Irish border remains open . See how easy it is to solve .  Anything less and a no deal , walk away BJ 

15 hours ago, Monomial said:

That's the only thing can come out of it ….. another extension ! "U.K. in an permanent extension status…"???? while in mean time contributing !    (almost the same as the vasal status agreement )

Make yourself no illusions !

That's the only thing can come out of it ….. another extension ! "U.K. in an permanent extension status…"[emoji39] while in mean time contributing !    (almost the same as the vasal status agreement )
Make yourself no illusions !

You can keep your extension aspirations as high as you like.
So long as Boris confirms No more Contributions; No more Customs Union rules; No more EU nonsense; we could probably extend a bit. Unlikely though.

30 minutes ago, Loiner said:

You can keep your extension aspirations as high as you like.
So long as Boris confirms No more Contributions; No more Customs Union rules; No more EU nonsense; we could probably extend a bit. Unlikely though.

i don't have any aspirations on extensions , but I am a realist , especially as I see U.K. divisions and already your parliament is in obstruction mode to block Bojo's aspirations ,lead by your chancellor Hammond and other conservatives ministers . 

So the blockade stay's as it is already long time 

My reply was meant to make clear that extensions are the only thing the E.U. shall grant if asked , nothing more , it is said so many times  no reopening  the agreement 

32 minutes ago, david555 said:

i don't have any aspirations on extensions , but I am a realist , especially as I see U.K. divisions and already your parliament is in obstruction mode to block Bojo's aspirations ,lead by your chancellor Hammond and other conservatives ministers 

My reply was meant to make clear that extensions are the only thing the E.U. shall grant if asked , nothing more , it is said so many times  no reopening  the agreement 

What agreement?

7 minutes ago, nauseus said:

What agreement?

The one your PM May signed , but can not get thru U.K. parliament .....but that is your U.K.'s problem not the E.U's one anymore   .....case closed for E.U.

i don't have any aspirations on extensions , but I am a realist , especially as I see U.K. divisions and already your parliament is in obstruction mode to block Bojo's aspirations ,lead by your chancellor Hammond and other conservatives ministers . 

Never ending extensions would only be granted as long as UK keeps contributing and toes the EU line. We have seen this since 29th March. And yet we keep sending the contributions - madness!!

When Boris stops the contributions and all your other EU nonsense, do you really believe they will extend again? Boris wont even be allowed to make another request.
Hammond is history from Tuesday. Your Merkel/May Surrender Treaty is dead and buried, so will never need to be reopened.

2 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Never ending extensions would only be granted as long as UK keeps contributing and toes the EU line. We have seen this since 29th March. And yet we keep sending the contributions - madness!!

When Boris stops the contributions and all your other EU nonsense, do you really believe they will extend again? Boris wont even be allowed to make another request.
Hammond is history from Tuesday. Your Merkel/May Surrender Treaty is dead and buried, so will never need to be reopened.

"Your Merkel/May Surrender Treaty is dead and buried, so will never need to be reopened."

At least some good news coming from across the channel …..a brexiteer who finally understand there shall no reopening of that treaty ....  (appreciated it...) ????  , now only must give up hope E.U. go blink ….like Bojo thinks ????....:wink:

6 hours ago, david555 said:

The one your PM May signed , but can not get thru U.K. parliament .....but that is your U.K.'s problem not the E.U's one anymore   .....case closed for E.U.

It's funny. When I try to confirm that anything has been actually been signed - by May or anyone else - I can't! I can only find references to a "draft Brexit withdrawal agreement". Said same document is actually a treaty, which is so unpopular it has been rightly rejected by the House of Commons three times and is not just May's agreement, I'm sure. Now, the EU can choose to "close the case" if they want but I can't imagine any self-respecting nation signing up to this rubbish. 

17 minutes ago, nauseus said:

It's funny. When I try to confirm that anything has been actually been signed - by May or anyone else - I can't! I can only find references to a "draft Brexit withdrawal agreement". Said same document is actually a treaty, which is so unpopular it has been rightly rejected by the House of Commons three times and is not just May's agreement, I'm sure. Now, the EU can choose to "close the case" if they want but I can't imagine any self-respecting nation signing up to this rubbish. 

Neither can any organization give same privileges' out of the club as before being a member ...

Archived