Dhammakaya - bit confused

BobBKK

As an outsider and foreigner, I have observed that this issue seems to be very political. The ruling class wants to get their hands on Dammakhaya's substantial wealth, on the other hand Dammakhaya promotes a Buddhism which concentrates on meditation and clean living, eg 5 basic precepts: no lying, no stealing, no drinking or taking drugs, no sexual misbehaviour, and no gambling. In comparison, the rest of Thai society seems to either ignore or at best pay only lip service to these basics. Hence, there is an attempt to portray Dammakhaya as a cult, perhaps because they do have very large and dedicated following and, even more importantly because they do not toe the line as expected by the ruling class.

18 hours ago, Octpob said:

As an outsider and foreigner, I have observed that this issue seems to be very political. The ruling class wants to get their hands on Dammakhaya's substantial wealth, on the other hand Dammakhaya promotes a Buddhism which concentrates on meditation and clean living, eg 5 basic precepts: no lying, no stealing, no drinking or taking drugs, no sexual misbehaviour, and no gambling. In comparison, the rest of Thai society seems to either ignore or at best pay only lip service to these basics. Hence, there is an attempt to portray Dammakhaya as a cult, perhaps because they do have very large and dedicated following and, even more importantly because they do not toe the line as expected by the ruling class.

I didn't ask that. I asked if they are officially under investigation how come State schools are allowed to go.

Hasn't the leadership of the temple been replaced by government puppet already? 

Living out in the country in the smallest Tambon, most of the very visible buddhist mass participation ritual activities are organized by Dhammakaya networked temple, things like mass ordination for summer camps for students, mass alms giving, dressing in white for the holy days. 

The goverment would happily let the Dhammakaya do the heavy lifting of promoting buddhism

Not sure the temple is under investigation, only the head abbot.  And he took a flyer.  I believe digbeth has the correct answer.  The temple has a huge following of high muckety mucks.  Trying to shut down that temple would be like trying to shut down the Govt. 

Archived