Retiring in Malaysia. Better than Thailand?

Shoban

On 7/24/2019 at 10:45 AM, Henryford said:

Who wants to live in a Muslim country? I visited KL once and it took me hours to find a single bar.

I dont think there are ladyboy bars which explains your search, however everything else is easy enough to find. 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I visited Penang Island over the weekend, apparently it has the largest expat community...lovely state...good mix of traditional architecture, modern facilities plus seaside living. Bars are plenty, and all sorts of 'dodgy massage parlours' around. You do hear the loud call to prayer daily from the Mosque but that is pretty much all that would remind you of religion here too

On 7/19/2019 at 11:23 AM, madmen said:

20 million Muslims still practicing sharia law... You better learn to say allahu ahkbar!!

Enjoy

I don't especially like the idea of any country being defined by a religion but I did find Malaysia delightful.

On 7/24/2019 at 2:20 PM, Shoban said:

You have got to be kidding, ridiculous comment. Is this forum just full of trolls?

Well I visit Penang regularly and I've never had the need to go in a bar and I see a number of them.

20 minutes ago, Shoban said:

I visited Penang Island over the weekend, apparently it has the largest expat community...lovely state...good mix of traditional architecture, modern facilities plus seaside living. Bars are plenty, and all sorts of 'dodgy massage parlours' around. You do hear the loud call to prayer daily from the Mosque but that is pretty much all that would remind you of religion here too

Don't tell everybody now good it is. 

I spent a lot of time in Malaysia and even had an Indian girlfriend there. Both a great experience. But it is for sure more quiet there than in Pattaya. It is a more "normal" lifestyle. Prayers early in the morning? Better than bar noise the whole night and easier to block than deep bass sounds. I am thinking more and more often to leave Pattaya and go back there. If you are older and looking for a more quiet place then Malaysia might be a good idea. The other option would be the Philippines. Lived there several years and still have bank accounts there. But there is too much hectic and often poor infrastructure. Was a good and interesting place when I was younger. 

21 hours ago, Stocky said:

I realise you don't particularly care for accuracy, again you use an image from a public canning in Banda Aceh province in Indonesia.

If they want to keep this forum useful, helpful and relevant they should be banning members like Madmen here.

1 hour ago, Shoban said:

If they want to keep this forum useful, helpful and relevant they should be banning members like Madmen here.

It wasn't Madmen, just a drive by garbage poster.

2 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

As this topic is a general discussion rather than about specifics or retiring to a country, I'm going to move it to pub.

Well it was about retiring to Malaysia, it's just been derailed. Rather than move to the Pub, which is just inviting more ill-informed trolling, if you must move it, put in the General SE Asia Forum.

I been working in Malaysia as a seaman offshore 3 years.WERY cheap in Labuan.TAX FREE ZONE.

My experience it that malaysians are friendly and nice people.Touristplaces are more expencive.

Every weekend people come with the speedferry from Brunei.The reason is clear,f....pinays.EVERY bar/pub looks like manila.I feel safe in malaysia.Will i reired there?I dont think so.I think maybe indonesia is better.NOT BALI!!!!Anyway i have a apartment in BKK,so i think i continue my life there.

Im not living an expencive life wherever i am.My days is eating and relaxing.Travel around sometimes.Im not a regular barvisitor,just 1-2 times a month in sukumvit road.Take a cold beer and looking streetlife.I speak thai wery well.Where i live in BKK is just a few foreigners.(bang na trat)In my soi just me.

From next year 6 months in BKK.and 6 months in norway.

3 hours ago, stigar said:

I been working in Malaysia as a seaman offshore 3 years.WERY cheap in Labuan.TAX FREE ZONE.

My experience it that malaysians are friendly and nice people.Touristplaces are more expencive.

Every weekend people come with the speedferry from Brunei.The reason is clear,f....pinays.EVERY bar/pub looks like manila.I feel safe in malaysia.Will i reired there?I dont think so.I think maybe indonesia is better.NOT BALI!!!!Anyway i have a apartment in BKK,so i think i continue my life there.

Im not living an expencive life wherever i am.My days is eating and relaxing.Travel around sometimes.Im not a regular barvisitor,just 1-2 times a month in sukumvit road.Take a cold beer and looking streetlife.I speak thai wery well.Where i live in BKK is just a few foreigners.(bang na trat)In my soi just me.

From next year 6 months in BKK.and 6 months in norway.

"I think maybe indonesia is better.NOT BALI!!!!"

Where in Indonesia are you considering?

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 4:23 PM, madmen said:

20 million Muslims still practicing sharia law... You better learn to say allahu ahkbar!!

Enjoy

Oh c'mon. I visited Penang and there was none of that.

The problem for me was that the beaches were even more ruined than Thailand's, and there was no night life.

Fine if one is not interested in fun, and has a partner.

Also, McD's charges extra to eat in their crappy restaurant, satay was really expensive, and the accommodation is way worse than in Thailand while being way more expensive.

On 8/5/2019 at 11:50 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh c'mon. I visited Penang and there was none of that.

The problem for me was that the beaches were even more ruined than Thailand's, and there was no night life.

Fine if one is not interested in fun, and has a partner.

Also, McD's charges extra to eat in their crappy restaurant, satay was really expensive, and the accommodation is way worse than in Thailand while being way more expensive.

It is true Penang's nightlife is not the greatest....Kuala Lumpur on the other hand is vibrant, probably the only city in Malaysia with good night life. Beach wise the eastern beaches are much better shape than those on the west

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:46 PM, Shoban said:

It is true Penang's nightlife is not the greatest....Kuala Lumpur on the other hand is vibrant, probably the only city in Malaysia with good night life. Beach wise the eastern beaches are much better shape than those on the west

I did a road trip around Malaya in 1973, and we stopped on an eastern beach. In those days they had government hotels to stay at. We were invited to observe a turtle laying eggs. Unfortunately the scumbag "guide" took the eggs even as they were being laid, which spoiled things somewhat.

It was very quiet and undeveloped, so I expect that would have changed now. Too many people are ruining everywhere.

Perhentian islands were beautiful. At least 4 years ago. True and quiet paradise.

Archived