Hanging wires: Another motorcyclist strangled to death

webfact

Hanging wires: Another motorcyclist strangled to death

9pm1.jpg

Thai caption: Hanging wires strangle (man) to death

Another motorcyclist has fallen victim to Bangkok's infamous hanging wires. 

Phachorn Bunyathisanon or "Mot" aged 30 was going down Issaraphap Road to a market where he was a trader in the early morning hours. 

The next his mother Jitra knew was late morning when doctors called from Sirirat Hospital to say her son was dead from blood loss and lung problems. He had a 6 inch gash on his neck. 

Friends discovered that he had been following a truck that was transporting a backhoe that brought the wires down. 

He became entangled and was thrown from his bike suffering strangulation and head injuries. 

The driver of the truck has apologized and offered 20,000 baht as an initial payment. 

He said he would go to the temple of Wat Yai Sri Sawan to apologize to the corpse - a Thai tradition in such circumstances. 

Bangkok Yai police are investigating. 

Mum Jitra said that Mot moved back in with her after his marriage failed. He supported her and his sick seven year old sister. 

Source: Channel 3

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-19

39 minutes ago, shady86 said:

It's not truck driver fault.

in a way it is we all know tland is full of accidents waiting to happen and those who do take extra caution... the guy clearly did not look for adequate clearance and he is at fault

Legal maximum  height for a truck in Thailand is 4 meters.  All container trucks all over the world are 4.3 meters high.  Consequently the BIB can make good money off any truck in Thailand, as they are all overheight.  Having said that, you are safe to run at 4.8 meters on all major roads, but on side roads , you will bring the wires down.  I bet with a backhoe on he would have been running over 4.8 high.

3 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

So sad. RIP Another easily preventable tragedy.

To be fair, the height of the loaded truck caused the cables to be pulled down which is why the truck driver has accepted blame. The victim was travelling on his m/c behind.

IMG_0935.jpg.3e2773cf2efcd562146184af32a9537f.jpg

Lineman were NOT doing good job last week in CM. Wires left all over the pavements, nobody around. A few seconds later I hear heavy braking from this truck. They stopped with a low wire tangled in the mobile crane trying to back out of it.

Totally Crazy. Truck bed riders were lucky.

16 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I doubt he was actually strangled.  Hard impact to the wire(s) for sure, neck, trachea, thorax trauma.  But that is not the same as a wire being wrapped tightly around one's neck

Splitting hairs in this case is not very helpful.

You know sad though this story is and RIP to the victim, if you did not read it, you would never believe it .

Had guys stringing along a cable for some company, some 3/4 lowere than the rest, got mighty pissed off when I went out and cut it, as it would impede me leaving my home, they got the message.

The people stringing all these cables are mentally challenged I am sure between the three of four men crew, IQ would be about 2 , I suspect. 

17 hours ago, Date Masamune said:

IMG_0935.jpg.3e2773cf2efcd562146184af32a9537f.jpg

Lineman were NOT doing good job last week in CM. Wires left all over the pavements, nobody around. A few seconds later I hear heavy braking from this truck. They stopped with a low wire tangled in the mobile crane trying to back out of it.

Totally Crazy. Truck bed riders were lucky.

Safety first.

23 hours ago, shady86 said:

It's not truck driver fault.

Just whose fault is it?  The driver's load, the backhoe, tore down the wires the driver was obviously not aware of his load height and/or available clearance under the wires.

20,000 baht and an apology to the corpse will not make up for the 30+ years of lost income by Khun "Mot". 

On 7/19/2019 at 11:37 AM, Lucius verus said:

The trucking boss should have insurance.......?????

The cables should actually be at a proper height.

Or, they should follow Bill Gates advice and bury the damns things... eyesore and public menace.

Just whose fault is it?  The driver's load, the backhoe, tore down the wires the driver was obviously not aware of his load height and/or available clearance under the wires.

20,000 baht and an apology to the corpse will not make up for the 30+ years of lost income by Khun "Mot". 

It was not the drivers fault.
The wires have been there years at normal height.
Looks like they were doing some work and went for lunch. No Lineman around , no warning signs at ALL.
The wire they struck was hanging across the street at windscreen level.

On 7/19/2019 at 1:09 PM, tlandtday said:

in a way it is we all know tland is full of accidents waiting to happen and those who do take extra caution... the guy clearly did not look for adequate clearance and he is at fault

Most market traders get to work long before daylight, as seems to be the case here. As hard as it can be to notice low hanging wires, at any time, in the dark, they could be all but invisible.

In the real world, there are standards enforced when it comes to placement of facilities, if there is a violation, and someone is injured, it is the company that placed the wires held responsible. If placed properly, it would be the person who ran into them. But, we know the latter isn't the situation here.

Thai government workers are always looking for new, make-work jobs. Rather than inconveniencing tourists and expats with all sorts of lame paperwork, why not have inspectors oversee utility work, tear down hazardous placements, and substantially fine violators? It's not just a safety issue; properly placed facilities will also be more reliable. 

On 7/19/2019 at 11:52 AM, mok199 said:

This is just another reminder ....you are on your own out their, drive with extreme caution...

I have had my near death experience with a hanging wire on Phetkasem Road last year.

I was pretty shaken for several hours realizing how close I came to this nightmare scenario.

Now I watch the roadside carefully as well as ALL the other moving and stationary death traps around me on the roads.

Still, I figure it's just a matter of time.

1 hour ago, Curt1591 said:

Most market traders get to work long before daylight, as seems to be the case here. As hard as it can be to notice low hanging wires, at any time, in the dark, they could be all but invisible.

In the real world, there are standards enforced when it comes to placement of facilities, if there is a violation, and someone is injured, it is the company that placed the wires held responsible. If placed properly, it would be the person who ran into them. But, we know the latter isn't the situation here.

Thai government workers are always looking for new, make-work jobs. Rather than inconveniencing tourists and expats with all sorts of lame paperwork, why not have inspectors oversee utility work, tear down hazardous placements, and substantially fine violators? It's not just a safety issue; properly placed facilities will also be more reliable. 

Or, we can become inspectors ourselves.

Carry some cutters and if you see a low cable, snip snip and back on your way.

10 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

You’ll be electrocuted.

Ever heard of insulated pliers? Small bolt cutters do an excellent job and normally have insulated grips as well.

Actually 90% of the hanging cables are telecon wires and often fiber optics only. Power cables are heavily insulated and larger diameter otherwise they wouldn't survive the ditch water they often lie in.

More on the serious side, the power cables are installed by generally better trained folks. Also, lots of copper in power cables so the crew is trained to minimize cable length to save money.

The telecon wire guys are just day labor with bamboo ladders and telecon cable is cheap, so they just don't care. Half the cables on poles aren't even functional anymore, hence no signal/power involved.

If you cut a hanging fiber cable it will force them to replace a pretty long section since splicing fiber cable in the field is difficult and causes significant signal loss and reflection.

Thanks for your interest.

Good hunting and work safely!

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I often wonder how many of them cables are dead would be a good idea to strip them out

Good ideas are everywhere, just no interest in implementing them.

Helmet laws are a good idea.

Sorry, not dissing you Chip, just venting. Smearing myself all over a road here is just one of my pet peeves.

Good ideas are everywhere, just no interest in implementing them.

Helmet laws are a good idea.

Sorry, not dissing you Chip, just venting. Smearing myself all over a road here is just one of my pet peeves.

Helmets are great when you hit a low wire on your motorcycle. Your relatives can find you head in perfect condition neatly separated from your body.

Archived