BANGKOK 19 August 2019 18:48
Randybee

Android device for navigation- suggestions

I need some suggestions on choosing and setting up an Android device with Google maps in order to navigate my way around Thailand. We plan to go to a number of National Parks and will need to find our way to Pang Sida NP (for example). We live in Bangkok so we will need to navigate the

Bangkok Express Way system.

What is the best Android device for this purpose or are they all about the same? Is the only difference between a tablet and a phone for this purpose or is it just the size?

What have you had success with?

Thank you

Randybee

You can't beat Googlemaps, plus download offline if you haven't got enough data

• Like 1

I use here maps by Microsoft. It's free and gives you offline maps for the whole of Thailand. More convenient than Google maps in my opinion and been using it for years.

I use here maps by Microsoft. It's free and gives you offline maps for the whole of Thailand. More convenient than Google maps in my opinion and been using it for years.
Google maps gives you so much more. The Integration of maps with its search engine is very powerful in finding just about anything and the live traffic status showing congestion, travel time etc is unrivalled.
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Randybee said:

I need some suggestions on choosing and setting up an Android device

get a AIS SIM card (50 baht) and choose a package with at least 6 GB per month for seamless coverage for GPS navigation.

I use old Samsung "Core Prime" and a newer J7 Pro, which was just replaced by the A20. 5700 baht new. 

Edited by NCC1701A

4 hours ago, Randybee said:

setting up an Android device with Google maps

make sure you plan your trip using "My Places". Super easy to place a gold star and recall locations.

On 7/19/2019 at 11:47 AM, scubascuba3 said:

You can't beat Googlemaps,

GoogleMaps is OK and the price is right, but it certainly is not the best on Android. For me the best is my 3-year TomTom GO subscription which cost me about 1400B for unlimited use of world-wide maps. It also comes with a linked website that lets you plan/adjust routes and then sync them with your device. Live traffic updates are also included along with camera locations.

Hey thank you all for your gracious comments.

My plan is to go to Big C next week and pick up a Samsung smart phone. I have several questions regarding this:

1.  Is there any particular model that has features that would make it a better choice than others for my purpose?

2. What about screen size? Several years ago a looked into getting Smart Phone for use in examining Excel Spreadsheets. The screen was way too small for this purpose and it concerns me that a screen that is too small may present problems in navigation. What size device have you had success with?

3. Are there any apps that I should have loaded at the store? Maybe there are some apps that I shouldn’t have them load as this device is to be used only for navigation. I will not be using this for telephone calls.

4. Is there some way to charge this device while underway or should I purchase some back up batteries? It would make sense to me if I could use the cigarette lighter in the car for charging. Is there a separate device for this?

Additionally, I would like to put forth my current understating of what these Smart Devices or Tablets are doing and invite people to comment on my understanding.

A.        It appears that all modern Smart Phone and tablet devices have two systems. One is the Wi-Fi system which is accessed thru a SIM card. The other system is the GPS system that is built into all modern phone and tablet devices.

B.         There are to two ways to use the Google map system.

a.       First, you can access Google Maps in real time via your WiFi connection. This would allow the GPS feature built into your phone to provide driving instructions “on the fly” from the data provided by the WiFi (real time). This seems to be the most common way that Thai people use it. My professor friend drives around with the tablet on her lap.

b.      Secondly, you could download the Google Maps into your device (a good reason to have large capacity GB on your smart phone device) and then have the downloaded map be used by the built in GPS to give you specific instructions. In this case a WiFi connection would not be necessary if you were within the downloaded area

The choice of SIM card for WiFi seems to be a matter of personal preference (possibly coverage and price being the determining factors. However, they all seem to providing the same service.

What have I got wrong here?

Thank you so much for your gracious sharing!

Aloha

Randybee

You're really making a meal of this. Buy your Samsung phone and put whatever apps you want on the phone. One of the apps built into the Android system is Google maps. Just open it and use it. It's a simple as that! There's nothing special you have to do. Any Android phone will do what you want to do. Google maps is just another app. To make it work you will have to enable the 4G data and switch on GPS. Have a good trip.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Randybee said:

1.  Is there any particular model that has features that would make it a better choice than others for my purpose?

2. What about screen size? Several years ago a looked into getting Smart Phone for use in examining Excel Spreadsheets. The screen was way too small for this purpose and it concerns me that a screen that is too small may present problems in navigation. What size device have you had success with?

3. Are there any apps that I should have loaded at the store? Maybe there are some apps that I shouldn’t have them load as this device is to be used only for navigation. I will not be using this for telephone calls.

4. Is there some way to charge this device while underway or should I purchase some back up batteries? It would make sense to me if I could use the cigarette lighter in the car for charging. Is there a separate device for this?

1 No

2 Up to you. My 5.5in screen works for me but I dont actually look at it when driving. I rely on the voice instructions.

3 Phones are sold as-is. All extra apps are installed later by you on the Play Store.

4 You just need a car USB adaptor. Mine cost about 100B at Tesco. Most recent cars have USB sockets built-in.

22 hours ago, Randybee said:

A.        It appears that all modern Smart Phone and tablet devices have two systems. One is the Wi-Fi system which is accessed thru a SIM card. The other system is the GPS system that is built into all modern phone and tablet devices.

B.         There are to two ways to use the Google map system.

a.       First, you can access Google Maps in real time via your WiFi connection. This would allow the GPS feature built into your phone to provide driving instructions “on the fly” from the data provided by the WiFi (real time). This seems to be the most common way that Thai people use it. My professor friend drives around with the tablet on her lap.

b.      Secondly, you could download the Google Maps into your device (a good reason to have large capacity GB on your smart phone device) and then have the downloaded map be used by the built in GPS to give you specific instructions. In this case a WiFi connection would not be necessary if you were within the downloaded area

The choice of SIM card for WiFi seems to be a matter of personal preference (possibly coverage and price being the determining factors. However, they all seem to providing the same service.

A. You dont need a SIM card at all for wifi. But if you want mobile data (ie in your car) then you will need a SIM card and a data package from your provider. They all do them.

B. The third option is to use something other than Google Maps, like I do. My GPS app will work without any data connection at all as the maps for entire countries are pre-downloaded. Having mobile data does give me instant traffic updates though. Google Maps will only allow downloads of specific areas, and they are for short term use.

If you are concerned about screen sizes and SIM cards, you could just buy an Android tablet as it will do the same job, as your friend knows.

Thank you again.

I purchased a Galaxy Tab A6 from Big C 2 days ago.

Google maps is up and running and I can make a route and have the device help me navigate it. I was walking and then riding in a Tuk Tuk when I did these things so it was too noisy to judge the audio assistance. I will do this later.

There are several puzzles left to solve. I would like to save the routes I create for future use. However, the YouTube videos show ways to do this that do not seem to be available to me. One video, for example, showed a choice at the end of the scroll down menu of route directions. This choice asked - Do you want to save this route?  There is no such choice on my scroll down menu.  There were at least 3 other videos showing me how to save the route. The choices shown d0 not appear on my phone.

There are other videos that show how to save downloaded maps and save routes to th SD card. But, the items they show do no match my device.

The two questions I have at this time are how to do the following on my phone (Galaxy Tab A6). If it is not possible, I need to know that as well.

1.      How to save and tag a route that I created for future use?

2.    How to control where things are saved on my device? There is no choice shown under the Storage menu that allows me to choose where to save things (as is shown in at least two YouTube videos).

I am also interested in looking into maps by Microsoft but I can find nothing about how to install or get started with this.

Any suggestions or hints would be appreciated.

Aloha

Randybee

I'm not sure if I am being helpful but along with my google mail account I have access to Google bookmarks, which I use my google mail address to log in to. Every time I 'Save' a locality on my computer it goes directly  to google bookmarks. Clicking on the bookmark that you wish to go to leads you directly to a map of the place with the possibility of calculating your best route there. You can do this on your phone also.

I don't save routes as due to traffic and other factors this can change from day to day or hour to hour.

Just play with it, I am learning new stuff about google maps all the time.

On 7/28/2019 at 6:40 PM, Randybee said:

How to save and tag a route that I created for future use?

I find it best to use a pay navigation app rather than Google Maps as the pay app allows you to do all that and much more.

I use TomTom GO.