Carnage on the Thai roads: More than 8,000 dead so far this year

webfact

Carnage on the Thai roads: More than 8,000 dead so far this year

10pm1.jpg

Thai caption: Campaign to Lower Deaths on the Roads - 18th July 2019 - 40 dead at the scene

Daily News reported that the carnage continues on the Thai Roads. 

This month alone has claimed 645 lives so far with 40 dying yesterday.

Since the start of the year the total is 8,220.

Daily News is running a campaign to raise awareness. They caution that the statistics are just for those that die at the scene of accidents. 

The actually death toll is believed to be around 50% higher when all stats are reported and when deaths at hospitals are taken into consideration. 

10pm2.jpg

Picture: Daily News

An anti drink driving activist recently put the toll at about 24,000 to 26,000 a year, Thaivisa notes. 

Yesterday 3 people were killed and six injured when a Nissan Navara carrying 9 workers in the back crashed into an 18 wheel truck parked on the road leading into Chantaburi in Muang district, eastern Thailand. 

The driver blamed the rain, a faulty steering wheel and his brakes. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-19

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

virtually every time we go out on the roads we have to swerve or brake suddenly to avoid accidents with the idiots who ignore the road rules and ignore other cars/bikes so they just do as they please,  then you have no police on the roads to even try to enforce the rules. If they want to fix this they need to put police on the roads and pull all the idiots over, fine and seize cars as this is the only thing thais understand, money. Of course the pathetic driving instructions they get doesnt help either, a few hours driving in an enclosed area with no traffic then a short drive in traffic, a couple of hours only learning the questions with an immediate test and you have a licence, our daughter got her licence inside 4 days and she is absolutely hopeless, I refuse to let her drive our car because she has no idea what to do.

4 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

The real figs including people who die afterwards is about 100 per day, so these figs are way under.

More like 15-20k 

Agreed.

80 per day in 2015.

They are putting lipstick on a yak again.

By the way-I never met a Thai who was seriously concerned about this mass slaughter....

The main problem is not the alcohol but the "no one can see me behind my tinted windows" attitude. 

I, too, blame the passengers who experience all the bad maneuvers from Somchai, yet they wouldn't say a word.

Whenever Somchai dangerously cuts another car off making the other driver swerve, brake heavily and honk like crazy, the passengers usually laugh. 

I once had to tell one relative that I needed to get out of his car as I didn't feel safe. 

I see accidents literally every day and I am actually surprised that the number of fatalities is so low.

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

I think the main problem is that from what i have seen driving here for the last 13 years ,if the average driver had another brain cell they would be a plant .

Then that would make the average Thai male driver of some use rather than becoming killers as soon as they get in their in pick-ups

This month alone has claimed 645 lives so far with 40 dying yesterday.

What about the poor souls that died on the way to the hospital and those who die after a few days because of minor injuries that can't be treated? 

Could easily be 60? 

2 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

The real figs including people who die afterwards is about 100 per day, so these figs are way under.

More like 15-20k 

Noted:

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The actually death toll is believed to be around 50% higher when all stats are reported and when deaths at hospitals are taken into consideration. 

So

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Since the start of the year the total is 8,220.

Becomes 12,330 total. But there's some serious drinking holidays yet to come by year-end.

Archived