Carnage on the Thai roads: More than 8,000 dead so far this year

webfact

I hav e said it before and it is like hitting your head on a brick wall. Enforcement required ….currently none really seen unless bills are due then road checks everywhere.

Education of drivers is pointless, many would fail a simple logic test.;

The real problem is sadly THAINESS or to put it another way Thai culture, the me , me , me attitude kills them plus of course plain STUPIDITY.

But seriously you cannot educate stupid plus why when you get paid for sitting in an office doing nothing,  would you stand out in the sun, just deal with the problems AFTER they have happened, that is I believe the RTP advice to its officers. 

OR SO IT SEEMS. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, webfact said:

The driver blamed the rain, a faulty steering wheel and his brakes. 

Great...now we are getting the Trifector of excuses. Will wonders never cease.

Perhaps staying out of Thailand as if your life depends on it is a good path to follow, because perhaps it does.

IO is doing people a favor by not letting them in. We should be appreciative of their forethought!

2 minutes ago, bheard said:

It is news, and should be rammed home every day in the Thai press.

Sent from my G8441 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Absolutely nobody cares, nada, nobody

If you ever read a Thai paper there are loads of daily articles relating to crashes & pics

Nothing has changed or will change EVER

Just forget about it and try your best not to become another statistic

"Carnage" - It would be nice if both the media and authorities stopped resorting to clinched concepts when dealing with road safety .....this is most probably explains why little or no progress is made in Thailand.......... as they don't even seem to understand the problems, how can they fix them??

At present all the press and the authorities seem to do is reinforce outdated ideas.

Over time, as modernity & technology change the culture, and as contraceptive practices become more and more normal amongst the poor, the size of families gradually decreases and the value of human life rises. As happened in The West over the last 60 years.

I see it already happening here amongst the unlettered peasants of Surin. My B/F (30) is the youngest of 6 children and with a further 6 older half-brothers & -sisters from both parents. But his 5 brothers & sisters have between them produced only 9 children, with no more likely.

On 7/19/2019 at 1:05 PM, Assurancetourix said:

About the same number of deaths in Paris, including the ring road that goes around the city for 36 km.
except that it is not a day but a year ...

Up until the 80s France had similar figures to Thailand they then stopped blaming drivers and adopted the EU safe roads system. 

Unfortunately due to the lack of meritocracy in Thai authorities there are no people in power who show any understanding of road safety and in fact continue policies that only exacerbate the problems 

On 7/20/2019 at 7:07 AM, Father Fintan Stack said:

Absolute and utter conjective nonsense. 

If you think that is conjecture, you need to seriously rethink your processes of comprehension. I'd suggest you indulge in a spot of critical thinking

On 7/19/2019 at 11:22 AM, webfact said:

The driver blamed the rain, a faulty steering wheel and his brakes. 

It would never be from broken head or tail lights, overloaded vehicles, bald tires, speeding, swerving through traffic, running red lights, driving on sidewalks, parking in the travel lane with no lights, driving the wrong way, sudden illegal lane changes. merging without looking, drunken drivers, and unmaintained vehicles.

No, none of that contributes to the most dangerous roads in the world. In this case, it was the confluence of three separate unrelated factors; water on the road, steering failure, and brake failure; all materializing at the same time without any forewarnings of impending mechanical failure, or that roads become slippery when it rains. He's just another blameless Thai driver who's a victim of impossible circumstances having worse odds of occurring than hitting the lottery's Megamillions jackpot.

14 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

“Conjective” ?? Couldn’t find in search of several online English dictionaries.

Grammar Nazis might use "conjectured," the past participle of the verb form "conjecture" to modify the noun "nonsense." >>"Conjectured nonsense."

I make plenty of mistakes too.

On 7/19/2019 at 11:31 AM, NCC1701A said:

????????:clap2::cheesy:

well a new excuse....."faulty steering wheel"  unbelievable excuse.....50 yrs of driving I have NEVER had problem with a steering wheel.....as like MANY others on here.

Just shows they are NOT FIT to be in charge of any vehicle.....

This is what you get in a non-confrontational culture....police not enforcing the law. Why are there more than 8 million

motorists without a licence (and its easy to get a licence in LoS)? This just shows how broken the system is. 

Archived