Passed Thai Driving Licence Test (colour-blindness)

4 minutes ago, luk AJ said:

There is a reason why a colour test is included, passing a test by cheating is not applauded by me. How can colour blind people see if the arrow to turn left on the traffic light is green or red? Or arrows which can be red or green showing which lane can be used?
Such people or not only putting their own life at risk.. would colour blind people feel comfortable sitting in a plane with a pilot that cheated on his medical examination?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Someone else who does not understand what colour blindness actually is. If a colour test was so important why don't western countries like the UK and Australia include it in their driving test. How have I managed to drive for 60 years without any problems?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Then you aren't truly colour blind if you can distinguish the colours.

Think there is a huge misunderstanding by the majority who are not colour-blind as to what being colour-blind means. It means colour vision deficiency, the decreased ability to see colour or differences in colour.

Most of us colour-blind folk see all colours but stuggle with differences in colours or shades of colours. In most Caucasian societies up to 1 in 10 men are colour-blind - a very small percentage of women are colour-blind. Most of us are red-green colour-blind. Less than 5% of all colour-blind people are blue-yellow. Total colour-blindness is rare.

Most of the time I can tell the colour of something but occasionally I will crack the wife up when I see something as say purple which is blue. I've lived my life without it causing me much hassle apart from colour coordinating clothes - not a stong point back in the day trying to match a tie with a shirt so lucky I don't have to wear ties these days and I have a wife who corrects me if I come down stairs in a clothes combo which doesn't look ok.

On the bizarre side of things to you 'normal' folk, I once went to watch a Man City game vs Coventry. On the way home in the car my family members were talking about Coventry's awful kit. I asked what what was wrong with their maroon kit, and was met with hysterical laughter and the explanation that they were wearing a chocolate-brown kit!

I am also colour blind and I am a qualified driving instructor in NZ. It took me 4 trys to pass my 3rd 5 year licience and that was only by cheating, traffic lights allways change in the same sequence so I have never had a problem driving. 15yrs and no accidents.

23 hours ago, giddyup said:

I am on my third Thai licence, the 1 year (now 2 year), the 5 year and now another 5 year. Each time I only passed the colour test with help from other applicants, all falangs, who whispered the colour to me as it was being pointed at, otherwise there is no way I would have passed. There is no way to fake a colour test, you either see the colour or you don't.

no way?  u just kinyow  dude.. my neibour sat in cafe outside and they run out and gave him his car and bike... licences.. I suspect he cant even ride a bike...  when will you pepople from the west wake up and understand there are no rules here?  blah blah about nothing

38 minutes ago, luk AJ said:

There is a reason why a colour test is included, passing a test by cheating is not applauded by me. How can colour blind people see if the arrow to turn left on the traffic light is green or red? Or arrows which can be red or green showing which lane can be used?
Such people or not only putting their own life at risk.. would colour blind people feel comfortable sitting in a plane with a pilot that cheated on his medical examination?

Here you go, educate yourself on colour-blindness - stop assuming we all go around in a monochrome world!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness

4 minutes ago, Seeall said:

no way?  u just kinyow  dude.. my neibour sat in cafe outside and they run out and gave him his car and bike... licences.. I suspect he cant even ride a bike...  when will you pepople from the west wake up and understand there are no rules here?  blah blah about nothing

I've been here 9 years, long enough to know how things work. The case you described may have happened in the provinces, but that ain't gonna fly in Pattaya. 

When I did my first Ishihara test, the lady doing it didn't speak English. My wife was the translator. I told her to say whatever she saw regardless of whatever number I said. I passed. When I did my last renewal it was a big dartboard size round poster full of red, green and orange coloured random sized dots. Just needed to verify which colours they pointed to. No hidden numbers now. Much easier.

18 minutes ago, a10ams said:

When I did my first Ishihara test, the lady doing it didn't speak English. My wife was the translator. I told her to say whatever she saw regardless of whatever number I said. I passed. When I did my last renewal it was a big dartboard size round poster full of red, green and orange coloured random sized dots. Just needed to verify which colours they pointed to. No hidden numbers now. Much easier.

If you can identify the colours in the dartboard size poster, you must be only slightly colour blind. Those colours all look pretty much the same to me, especially when you're standing about 4 metres away.

This colour blindness test I find to be quite strange. Apparently red and greens and shades of blues were my blind spots when it came to identifying numbers off a card. I held for many years an International Motor Racing Competition Licence under FISA Regs. I identified all the different colour flags with their different meanings without difficulty and safely raced on international motor circuits without incident for many years and under a variety of weather conditions.

20 minutes ago, natway09 said:

All this discussion is interesting ,,, I hope you always drive with someone beside you who 

is not colour blind... They have these tests for a reason you know ????

Have you read any of these posts? There is no reason to have a colour test, it's not necessary in most western countries, but an eyesight test usually is, ie making sure you can see clearly. There is clear evidence from people with colour blindness, myself included, that being colour blind does not stop you being a good driver, or being able to read traffic lights.

I hope the OP, and others, realises he has been driving for so long in Thailand illegally. Sure the IDP is issued for 12 months, but after becoming resident in Thailand - defined as three months I believe, then you are required to get a Thai license. You are not supposed to use the IDP as a resident.

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

I hope the OP, and others, realises he has been driving for so long in Thailand illegally. Sure the IDP is issued for 12 months, but after becoming resident in Thailand - defined as three months I believe, then you are required to get a Thai license. You are not supposed to use the IDP as a resident.

Yes we know....

8 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Im happy that everybody liked it and thought it was funny , untill he slams into another car at high speed because he thought his light was green .

It is said that even the most intelligent person will seem lacking when they speak on a subject of which they know nothing.

The poster obviously knows nothing of colour blindness.

I have a red/green colour deficiency which amongst other things means that when playing snooker I have to be aware of the brown as once the game has started in.my eyes it blends in with the reds.

It does not affect recognition of traffic signals, but congratulations on a sanctimonious post.

Someone else who does not understand what colour blindness actually is. If a colour test was so important why don't western countries like the UK and Australia include it in their driving test. How have I managed to drive for 60 years without any problems?

Maybe try to answer the question, surely your colour blindness has not affected other areas..

4 hours ago, rott said:

It is said that even the most intelligent person will seem lacking when they speak on a subject of which they know nothing.

The poster obviously knows nothing of colour blindness.

I have a red/green colour deficiency which amongst other things means that when playing snooker I have to be aware of the brown as once the game has started in.my eyes it blends in with the reds.

It does not affect recognition of traffic signals, but congratulations on a sanctimonious post.

I have the exact same problem with the brown and the reds. The brown repeatedly has to be pointed out to me. Guessing there are no pro-snooker players who are colour blind.

8 hours ago, natway09 said:

All this discussion is interesting ,,, I hope you always drive with someone beside you who 

And conversely, as someone already posted, "If a colour test was so important why don't western countries like the UK and Australia include it in their driving test"?.

Just think one in 10 men in those countries are colourblind, have not been colourblind tested and they create havoc - oh my god :post-4641-1156693976:

18 hours ago, natway09 said:

May I suggest the only reason LOS has a colour test is related to traffic light colours, sod all else....Unless you can tell me what else colours and black top use need colour recognition..

On 7/20/2019 at 9:31 AM, Nanaplaza666 said:

Im happy that everybody liked it and thought it was funny , untill he slams into another car at high speed because he thought his light was green .

Unless the position of the colors in the traffic light change regularly this is unlikely.

From my experience they are pretty much red on top, yellow in the middle, and green on bottom.

He can print this handy tip and keep it in the car with him. Problem solved!

3 hours ago, transam said:

May I suggest the only reason LOS has a colour test is related to traffic light colours, sod all else....Unless you can tell me what else colours and black top use need colour recognition..

ok i'll give it a go Red flags on load overhangs,red on truck striped signs,green on truck running lights, traffic signs red, yellow, and orange,red no parking road markings,yellow centre lines,blue and red clearway signs. and you should pay particular attention to the flashing blue light behind you. :1zgarz5:

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

ok i'll give it a go Red flags on load overhangs,red on truck striped signs,green on truck running lights, traffic signs red, yellow, and orange,red no parking road markings,yellow centre lines,blue and red clearway signs. and you should pay particular attention to the flashing blue light behind you. :1zgarz5:

But that is all stuff we know about regardless of colour and in LOS there are no flashing blue lights behind us, unless some areas the BiB are going the UK way.....????

I had a friend who had an RAC circuit motor racing license, he was colour blind..????

Archived