BANGKOK
davidst01

Question for the Brits..... Is it a good time to convert some thb to GBP

We are heading to the Uk towards the end of the year. 

Google tells me 1000 thb is = 25.94 gbp. Is this rate good or bad. Should I wait a few months to see what happens with brexit? 

Where do you think the rate is heading in the next 3 months?

thanks

The rate is terrible at the moment and will probably get even worse.

Cancelling Brexit might improve things a bit.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

if you are intending to move back, then yes, now is a very good time to send money back.

if for eg you transferred pounds here at 44 to the baht, then you will do very well to send back now.

but bear in mind that if you want to send money to thailand again in the future, if the baht continues to get even stronger, then keep your money here.

sorry, Im confused now. a guy above says its not a good time to buy gbp cash. I know your talking about wiring money back to the uk but I thought the rates were similar. 

we have a cash business here and thus just earn thai and go on holidays

Basically all depends on Brexit. If a no deal expect the GBP to suffer, probably some short term, selling 

• Like 1

Just flip a coin ,waste of time listening to the "hexperts" who really knows ?

• Like 2

No deal= a marginally worse rate in the short term. A deal=a marginally better rate immediately. Longer term, deal or no deal, the rate will settle at around 50baht plus, but to reach that level will take a year or so.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Don't think about what the rates might be in the future, just think are you happy with what the rate is at the moment, if so buy pounds now, if not take your chance on what it might be in the future (50% chance of going your way), so many people give advice but don't really have a clue, if they did they would be making millions on the fx market and wouldn't need to be coming on Thai visa everyday.

Edited by alfieconn
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, fishtank said:

The rate is terrible at the moment and will probably get even worse.

Cancelling Brexit might improve things a bit.

Not if you are changing Baht to Sterling !!

33 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

No deal= a marginally worse rate in the short term. A deal=a marginally better rate immediately. Longer term, deal or no deal, the rate will settle at around 50baht plus, but to reach that level will take a year or so.

Only wish I was that hopeful, those 50 baht dsys have gone forever in my opinion.

• Sad 1

What absolute Rubbish Thingamabob. A no deal Brexit will be a disaster for the UK and where did you get the figure of 50 baht to the £ from. It’s been in the low 40’s for about a decade now and that’s being in the EU. I would wait awhile before changing to £’s because the UK if no deal happens it will be floating in the Mire.

• Haha 1

What absolute Rubbish Thingamabob. A no deal Brexit will be a disaster for the UK and where did you get the figure of 50 baht to the £ from. It’s been in the low 40’s for about a decade now and that’s being in the EU. I would wait awhile before changing to £’s because the UK if no deal happens it will be floating in the Mire.

Low 40’s for a decade ?? I don’t think so !!
It was in the mid 50’s shortly before Brexit happened ( or didn’t happen ? ).

But I do agree a no deal will be bad for the uk .
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, picctrainop said:

But supposing no deal doesn't happen ? your advice would then be incorrect !