Question for the Brits..... Is it a good time to convert some thb to GBP

It is highly unlikely that Brexit, when accomplished, will be a disaster as some claim.  If they know this with certainty, they would be taking advantage now, by selling the pound short.  However, talk is cheap, it is money that buys the whisky.

What is problematic, now, is the uncertainty surrounding the Brexit outcome; currency traders are taking full advantage of the weakening pound.  Look no further than George Soros' infamous coup, in 1992, when he took a calculated bet on the fall of the pound, backing it to retreat even further, and made billions.  It is arguable whether the outcome has been good or bad though, as Britain was forced out of the ERM, the precursor to the Eurozone and the Euro.  27 years later, and the Eurozone, which Britain is not part of, is in a parlous state; watch Italy's bank problems, which could bring the whole house of cards down.

I believe the pound is largely in equilibrium now, in a range where, in the short term, it is unlikely to go much higher or lower.  There are no "experts", or even economists, much less the BOE or the IMF, who can accurately predict the ultimate destination of GBP.  But you can bet that Soros et al. will have a weather eye firmly fixed on it, to climb on board when they see it trending in one direction or other, poised to make another p*sspot full of dough.

I changed money yesterday and the international money market rate was around 38.5, retail rates are lower, so superrich doing a good deal.

Predictions - Thai economy looking a bit weak currently, so i doubt the GBP will be going much lower until October. No deal or a delay in October will see rates fall - maybe to the low 30's (dollar parity is mentioned, hope not that bad). A deal will see a SMALL rally - but may not break 40 .... (depends on the deal). If by a miracle Brexit is scrapped, we might get 45 baht to the GBP. If a NO Deal, i think it will take, as someone else said, about 5 years to make it back to 45 baht (that is assuming no other currencies change much). But many things could change in 5 years.

22 hours ago, Tom59 said:

It really depends on when you are going. At the moment the pound is falling and the Baht is strong against it. Some economist have predicted the pound -baht rate as low as 17 baht to the pound in a year or two. I'm no expert but that tells me that buying pounds sterling with Thai baht will get cheaper. The problem is how do you do it unless you are buying cash here and intend to carry it on you personally when you travel. Transferring baht to the UK is difficult. Dee Money in Bangkok is the only outfit that I have found where you can do it, although it's possible that services is currently suspended.

anyone know  the best place to  change Baht to gbp Pounds in cash   in Pattaya...cheers

On 7/20/2019 at 4:24 AM, picctrainop said:

What absolute Rubbish Thingamabob. A no deal Brexit will be a disaster for the UK and where did you get the figure of 50 baht to the £ from. It’s been in the low 40’s for about a decade now and that’s being in the EU. I would wait awhile before changing to £’s because the UK if no deal happens it will be floating in the Mire.

Hell this time we have a pessimistic 100% Hexpert.

same old head full of magic and no idea member who considers himself fully qualified to pontificate

Archived