Go Fund Me appeal saves British couple trapped in hospital on Koh Samui

webfact

Go Fund Me appeal saves British couple trapped in hospital on Koh Samui

screenshot_98.jpg

Rory Sadlier and Aby Harrison

Generous donors on the online money raising platform Go Fund Me have come to the rescue of a British couple who were left with a large medical bill after being involved in a motorcycle accident in Thailand. 

Rory Sadlier and Aby Harrison from Tunbridge Wells in the UK, were on honeymoon on Koh Tao when they were involved in a motorcycle accident. 

After arriving at the island on 7 July, the couple rented a motorbike which they say had faulty brakes.

Ms Harrison said the pair were involved in the accident as they were going to the beach.

screenshot_99.jpg

Picture: Go Fund Me page

“We soon found ourselves on a tiny steep road where our brakes failed, Ms Harrison told Kent Online. 

"We collided with the barrier and were thrown over into a rocky ravine.

"My husband Rory was able to climb up and scream for help while I stayed at the bottom”.

Rescue teams eventually hauled the couple to safety and took them to Koh Tao hospital, before they were later transferred by emergency speedboat to a hospital on Koh Samui for further treatment.

40554188_1562939309493594_r.jpg

Picture: Go Fund Me page

After receiving the treatment they were presented with a medical bill for £12,000, almost 463,000 baht. 

Despite having insurance, the couple’s insurance company would only cover some of the cost, leaving the couple needing to find £6,675 to pay the remainder of the bill.

The hospital had told the couple they would only release their passports once the bill had been paid in full.

The couple then launched an appeal on Go Fund Me and managed to raise the funds needed to pay the medical bills.

Kent Online reported the couple, who work as carers, have now returned to the UK.

An update posted on the Go Fund Me page on 16 July read:

Bruised, Battered, Broke & Stitched Up, We are home, without the support on here that would not be possible ❤️, Abi & I will be going straight to A&E from the Airport. We are so lucky to have such amazing people in our lives. From the bottom of our hearts thank you so so much! 

The news comes as Thailand is considering making travel insurance compulsory for all foreign tourists.

The new policy, which will reportedly cost just 20 baht for 30 days cover is expected to be rolled out before the end of the year.

All proceeds from the insurance policy would go to Thailand’s Tourism Promotion Fund and be used to cover payments whenever a tourist makes a claim.

The aim of the policy is to reduce the burden on the Thai healthcare system from foreigners who visit Thailand without adequate insurance and are then involved in an accident.

Earlier this year, officials said that foreigners cost the Thai state some 300 million baht annually in unpaid medical bills.

The policy will also help boost confidence amongst foreign tourists, officials said. 

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Up until now i thought it was only Thai drivers who blamed faulty brakes.

If as they claim the bike had dodgy brakes, why did they take it?

you read my thoughts as soon as I read it also. Maybe they had to think something up because being pissed didn't sound good so they said ' lets go with the faulty brakes, that seems to work ….  lol 

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Facts, details, ...

Looking at her injuries she was probably also not wearing a helmet or had proper shoes and gloves.

But who cares. FUND ME!

7 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Don't know until you need them.

Needed £6675 for the hospital. I wonder how much they just spent on their wedding? 

Most travel insurance policies state only 50% pay-out if motorcycle is involved.

Why is she still Ms Harrison? Just wondering. 

Just now, wgdanson said:

Needed £6675 for the hospital. I wonder how much they just spent on their wedding? 

Most travel insurance policies state only 50% pay-out if motorcycle is involved.

Why is she still Ms Harrison? Just wondering. 

Not all women choose to take their males partners last name after marriage.

Her documents probably not changed before honeymoon, even if there is an intention of take her partners name

26 minutes ago, colinneil said:

They must have 20-20 hindsight.

36 minutes ago, webfact said:

The hospital had told the couple they would only release their passports once the bill had been paid in full.

Could that be seen as tantamount to demanding money with menaces?

32 minutes ago, webfact said:

Could that be seen as tantamount to extorting money with menaces?

I was under the impression that the passport is the property of the issuing country, and it was illegal to withhold someone's passport without a court order?

Maybe I am wrong

38 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I'd say a very low percentage of people actually check vehicles they rent when they come here on holiday.

4 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

I'd say a very low percentage of people actually check vehicles they rent when they come here on holiday. 

so i am renting a scooter in Thailand and I see it only has one mirror. I say to the lady I need two mirrors. She says OK use this scooter.

So i change scooters and I start to adjust the mirrors so I can see behind me and she says "Why Farang always worry what is behind? Just worry what is in front." 

Couple of things I take from this, firstly being that even the insured can find themselves with nasty bills, not just those who travel with none.

I understand much of the negative comments on here so far, though as some posters on here can attest, you can have an accident that absolutely isn't your fault, and not get any help or justice at all.

Despite my thoughts on go fund me, which are mostly very similar to those expressed so far, spare a thought for the good news side to the story and the goodness of those who saved the day. A couple in deep trouble were rescued by well meaning people they didn't know. Maybe we are all too skeptical.

58 minutes ago, webfact said:

After arriving at the island on 7 July, the couple rented a motorbike which they say had faulty brakes.

Elementary mistake .. Should have got an amulet to ward off this before they left .. 

IMG_20190719_102703.jpg

2 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

when go fund me started it was for needy people, with real problems, people go on vacation and expect others to pay for their mistakes, wonder what are the standards to open a go fund me account

i'm not sure what is required to open the go fund me. But as you said, for people with real problems and as you can see there are several members here who need your help badly  …..  i'm really getting stressed and need a cruise around Asia …  please.

23 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

I'd say that a very low percentage of tourists can actually drive the vehicles they rent.

Seems to be a big bill for what appears to be minor injuries. 

I'd like to see what cost them 300k+

My misses just arraigned for an old Dutch guy to be fixed up after falling off his m/c.

30k for the hospital (broken hip) paid by insurance, 25k for a month in a care home while he's plastered paid by him.

Sounds to me like they were on an Automatic M/C and didnt realise how to ride it down a steep hill. Also pretty obvious that they were not wearing correct gear for riding on a motorbike. This is the usual scenario, hire a cheap bike and ride it in sandals and shorts without the correct insurance and then expect others to bail them out.

I've just checked my bank account and I haven't received one satang from anyone for my Go fund me cruise adventure including piss and lobster.  I am getting more stressed by the hour because of this and need your help. 300,000 should get me through this difficult time … thanks 

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Don't know until you need them.

Yes, but they probably had the need to use them within the first 100 meters of hiring the bike so unless it was a sudden failure at the scene they would have known and who in their right mind rents a bike without checking that the brakes work?

Maybe better to drop premium insurance, Go Fund me is the way to go when involved in stupid accidents. Just need to look stupid first on social media. 

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:
1 hour ago, webfact said:

Could that be seen as tantamount to demanding money with menaces?

No, obviously it couldn't.

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

I was under the impression that the passport is the property of the issuing country, and it was illegal to withhold someone's passport without a court order?

Maybe I am wrong

Or maybe the motorbike company is holding the passports until they pay for damage to the bike !    LOL

1 minute ago, balo said:

Maybe better to drop premium insurance, Go Fund me is the way to go when involved in stupid accidents. Just need to look stupid first on social media. 

I think it would be a great alternative for everybody/anybody to renew their extension of stay... tell IMO we have a go fund me account, all settle

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

Maybe I am wrong

You're right, but they were hardly in a position to argue about it considering that they owed the hospital £6,675 and clearly must have handed over their passports.  I suppose they could have brought the police in and then explained to them why they weren't paying their bills.

Archived