Go Fund Me appeal saves British couple trapped in hospital on Koh Samui

webfact

On 7/19/2019 at 5:12 PM, RJRS1301 said:

Could that be seen as tantamount to extorting money with menaces?

I was under the impression that the passport is the property of the issuing country, and it was illegal to withhold someone's passport without a court order?

Maybe I am wrong

Yes, it is illegal for them to hold their passports. However, it's also illegal for passport holders to hand them over in the first place. I mean how else did this hospital get their hands on them?

(rhetorical question)

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, inThailand said:

Can we create a joint GoFundMe account for all TV members?

We need money for our visas, internet, massages, drinking, bar fines and money that disappeared from our gfs.

maybe it would be better spent on tickets to somewhere else seeing as most only complain about Thailand and everything Thai related!

On 7/22/2019 at 10:20 PM, jamesmith said:

Do they have family in UK? send them money? How about British embassy?

Sadly it does sound ODD that family would not help... As far as Embassy help, they just refer.... no funds...

Just now, Rhys said:

Sadly it does sound ODD that family would not help... As far as Embassy help, they just refer.... no funds...

Not all families are functional or have several thousand pounds to spare in a hurry

They do have a "scam" hospital on Koh Samui. I went there when I had chlamydia in my throat to get some antibiotics. Instead without asking they checked my pulse and blood preasure, then let me see a doctor for 2 minutes that listened to what I wanted. For this I was charged 7000 baht (including the antibiotics needed). It took less than 15 minutes. They did not even check if I had chlamydia or not.

11 hours ago, EdrigoSalvadore said:

They do have a "scam" hospital on Koh Samui. I went there when I had chlamydia in my throat to get some antibiotics. Instead without asking they checked my pulse and blood preasure, then let me see a doctor for 2 minutes that listened to what I wanted. For this I was charged 7000 baht (including the antibiotics needed). It took less than 15 minutes. They did not even check if I had chlamydia or not.

For "scam" read private. There are four private hospitals on Samui and one government one. It would be useful if you had told us which one.

Private hospitals are very expensive if you do not have insurance. Discount for locals - farang and Thai.

You do not pay doctors by the minute (as you do for lawyers). You pay doctors for their knowledge and 10 years of training plus x years of experience.

If all you wanted was antibiotics, why didn't you just go to a pharmacy? Much cheaper and less than 15 minutes. Consultation is free! I always go to the pharmacies first. If they cannot treat me they recommend which hospital may serve me best.

2 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

For "scam" read private. There are four private hospitals on Samui and one government one. It would be useful if you had told us which one.

Private hospitals are very expensive if you do not have insurance. Discount for locals - farang and Thai.

You do not pay doctors by the minute (as you do for lawyers). You pay doctors for their knowledge and 10 years of training plus x years of experience.

If all you wanted was antibiotics, why didn't you just go to a pharmacy? Much cheaper and less than 15 minutes. Consultation is free! I always go to the pharmacies first. If they cannot treat me they recommend which hospital may serve me best.

Oh boy antibiotics without testing for sensitivities, proper DX, and overuse of antibiotics is what has allowed "superbugs" to cause so many issues for people over the past decade.

53 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Oh boy antibiotics without testing for sensitivities, proper DX, and overuse of antibiotics is what has allowed "superbugs" to cause so many issues for people over the past decade.

You are correct. However, this poster went to the hospital " to get some antibiotics " not for consultation or diagnosis. I presumed that he was already on treatment as he knew what he wanted.

47 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Do you really think that doctors do a culture and sensitivity on all cases they see? The MD relies on symptoms and patient history. They follow specific guidelines. They may order a "stat" grams stain, but in this case it wouldn't show anything. For a C/S it usually takes 2-3 days (maybe more) to get results. Patients want to be treated and go home. Cases that don't respond definitely get a C/S these include "superbugs" . There are immunologic tests available for chlamydia but again they may or may not be available, cost $$, and take time. MD usually only screen for chlamydia along with other STDs.  

Other STDs, such as syphilis and chlamydia, have shown early signs of antibiotic resistance.

The threat prompted the World Health Organization last year to release new guidelines for treating the three STDs. The organization says drug resistance “has increased rapidly in recent years and has reduced treatment options.”

https://www.webmd.com/sexual-conditions/antibiotic-resistant-std-faq

Perhaps rather self Dx, expert treating options should be considered.

On 7/27/2019 at 4:38 AM, Tropicalevo said:

You are correct. However, this poster went to the hospital " to get some antibiotics " not for consultation or diagnosis. I presumed that he was already on treatment as he knew what he wanted.

For the price I paid I would not have minded if they tried to find out what was wrong with my throat. I just assumed I had chlamydia in the throat from reading online, and that I recognized the "tickling" feeling that I had in my dick on previous occasions. I did get cured within a week, not sure if it was the pencilin or not. 7000 thb is really too much anyway for what I received. Next time I will do as you say and just visit the pharmacy. Thanks

On 7/27/2019 at 9:52 AM, FredGallaher said:

chlamydia is commonly treated with azithromycin and available at most pharmacies.

However we are getting off the subject of the British couple being overcharged.

Thank you for putting me back on track.

Yes - private hospitals in Thailand overcharge. By lots. It is a cash cow. Especially here on Koh Samui. Four private hospitals for a population of approx. 70,000 permanent residents. The big money earner - scooter accident victims. They are very good at treating trauma victims. However, general medical care is going downhill and prices are going up. It would be nice if the government really did something about reducing private medical costs.

On 7/21/2019 at 4:42 PM, NanLaew said:

Yes, it is illegal for them to hold their passports. However, it's also illegal for passport holders to hand them over in the first place. I mean how else did this hospital get their hands on them?

(rhetorical question)

Yes, you are correct on both counts. However, it is the age old problem. You need transport but you cannot rent a scooter unless you hand over your passport. No passport - no transport.

When travelling, I offer to hand over my Thai DL and a cash deposit (5,000 THB). This usually works but not always. Sometimes I have to visit a few scooter renters before one will say yes. I always get my deposit back but sometimes it takes a while.

For hospital treatment it is a more difficult conundrum. No passport  - no treatment?

Legally, all hospitals have to give emergency treatment for free. However, it is the after-care or when the trauma is not life threatening that there is a problem. Hospitals have been caught out time and time again by patients not having the money to pay the bill. So maybe compulsory insurance is not be such a bad idea after all.

For hospitals I hand over a copy of my passport and a credit card.

Archived