Go Fund Me appeal saves British couple trapped in hospital on Koh Samui

webfact

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Seems to be a big bill for what appears to be minor injuries. 

I'd like to see what cost them 300k+

Here you are, "the young bride suffered a head injury and deep cut to her leg, which could have become inflected, in the accident.  Her wound, which went right down to the bone needed invasive surgery to remove dead tissue. Thusband also needed the same procedure on his knee".

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My misses just arraigned for an old Dutch guy to be fixed up after falling off his m/c.

30k for the hospital (broken hip) paid by insurance, 25k for a month in a care home while he's plastered paid by him.

Private hospital on Samui ????

Wonder why successful go fund me projects get slated here like the posters are being forced to send them money yes these two youngsters made some basic mistakes but they were insured then the insurance company only paid half that's probably because the bill had been padded out 50% leaving the couple with a 6 grand bill and no passports in their situation I would have done exactly the same well done and good luck then recommend to all your friends never go there????

35 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My misses just arraigned for an old Dutch guy to be fixed up after falling off his m/c.

30k for the hospital (broken hip) paid by insurance, 25k for a month in a care home while he's plastered paid by him.

Emergency speed boats cost some money. 

1 minute ago, RichardColeman said:

Here's a novel idea - every time a tourist is injured in an accident treat them for free, and have a claim back program with the country they are from.

Alternative idea,

Stop ripping tourists off by putting them in expensive private hospitals.

Just now, BritManToo said:

Alternative idea,

Stop ripping tourists off by putting them in expensive private hospitals.

Perhaps as they had insurance, they were transported there as a matter of convenience and see quicker

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

Wonder why only half was covered by insurance?

At least they had taken out insurance for the trip

something not right here, perhaps no licence for a bike, no helmet, not wearing protective clothing, motorbike renting an exclusion on their policy; it's got to be one of those.  I wouldn't have given them, or others like them, a penny of my money. 

Some years ago I rented a motorcycle at Phuket at the hotel. It was brought from another company. After a few meters I felt that the brakes are really bad, went to the reception and said that the motorcycle is unsafe and I want to change. 30 minutes later they brought another and better one. Why the couple didn´t the same? 

The hospital bill is a rip off btw.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The hospital had told the couple they would only release their passports once the bill had been paid in full.

Totally out of the question. Sue the hospital instead. No hospital in the world have the right to take away a value paper issued from another government.

Here you are, "the young bride suffered a head injury and deep cut to her leg, which could have become inflected, in the accident.  Her wound, which went right down to the bone needed invasive surgery to remove dead tissue. Thusband also needed the same procedure on his knee".

Thusband ?

Must be from Yorkshire !!

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

when go fund me started it was for needy people, with real problems, people go on vacation and expect others to pay for their mistakes, wonder what are the standards to open a go fund me account.

According to the GoFundMe website:

We see people use GoFundMe to raise money for themselves, friends and family, or even complete strangers in random acts of kindness. People raise money for just about everything ...

As far as I can tell, GoFundMe can be used for whatever you want - it's up to the person creating their page to try and persuade people that their cause is worth donating to.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

For a total hip replacement done here 2 years ago, I paid 130k. Private room for a week was about 10k.

A bed bath by 2 nurses was included. I really did not enjoy it, despite my lifelong fantasy!

Think they were ripped off, if they had to pay 300k.

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Yes, but they probably had the need to use them within the first 100 meters of hiring the bike so unless it was a sudden failure at the scene they would have known and who in their right mind rents a bike without checking that the brakes work?

in a country that is the world leader in motorcycle deaths, that would be the first thing I'd check..

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

You're right, but they were hardly in a position to argue about it considering that they owed the hospital £6,675 and clearly must have handed over their passports.  I suppose they could have brought the police in and then explained to them why they weren't paying their bills.

they may have given them their passports prior to surgery if they couldn't prove they had the funds, don't blame the hospital an iota for they probably have been screwed over in the past.. 

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

According to the GoFundMe website:

As far as I can tell, GoFundMe can be used for whatever you want - it's up to the person creating their page to try and persuade people that their cause is worth donating to.

please help me ….  please set the Go fund me up for my situation … 

27 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

they may have given them their passports prior to surgery if they couldn't prove they had the funds, don't blame the hospital an iota for they probably have been screwed over in the past.. 

I don't see any evidence of surgery, it doesn't say broken bones.

More like stitches and road rash from the looks of the bandages.

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't see any evidence of surgery, it doesn't say broken bones.

More like stitches and road rash from the looks of the bandages.

From an earlier post:

the young bride suffered a head injury and deep cut to her leg, which could have become inflected, in the accident.  Her wound, which went right down to the bone needed invasive surgery to remove dead tissue. The husband also needed the same procedure on his knee.

4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Needed £6675 for the hospital. I wonder how much they just spent on their wedding? 

Most travel insurance policies state only 50% pay-out if motorcycle is involved.

Why is she still Ms Harrison? Just wondering. 

Must have spent a bundle as they could not afford the same last name

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Here's a novel idea - every time a tourist is injured in an accident treat them for free, and have a claim back program with the country they are from.

I have a different novel idea. Those that rent the bikes have insurance to cover those renting them.

Would be interesting to know what their medical insurance paid out for? and what the 7k raised covered?

Maybe they genuinely had holiday insurance but it did not cover them in this instance/scenario at all, and they ended up paying 5k out of their own pocket and savings coming up short with the full amount (ruling their Australia ????????trip out completely afterwards, which was mentioned in another article about them) without wanting to admit to it... just saying etc... but I could be wrong... if I am, then I fully apologise ????

As a general rule in Thailand ???????? if you hire a scooter 125cc... then your medical insurance will only cover you if your UK ???????? driving license allows you the type of vehicle that you are entitled to drive back home.

In this instance the driver should of had a CBT (2 year issue) licence as a minimum that allows him to drive 125cc scooters back home with “L” plates or a full motorcycle licence.

Seen it so many times over the years whilst working in Thailand with fellow UK ???????? nationals hiring scooters without actually having the licence back home to do so...  unfortunately when an incident or accident occurs and the injured have to go hospital ???? the first thing medical insurance companies will advise is that you pay some of the bill and they will reimburse you during or after your hospital stay depending on the severity of your injuries.  

Once they establish that you do not hold a valid license for the type of vehicle you used, they will then render your case as invalid and dismissed as you do not legally have the licence to begin with in the UK ???????? and will claim that “why are you hiring a motor vehicle that you are not entitled to drive back home?”

Note of caution “always read the small print and make sure your covered in every eventuality involving the hire of motor vehicles abroad”

Also to avoid confusion... A Full UK ???????? driving licence excluding motorbike only covers you on mopeds (50cc) only.  Anything over 50cc like the 125cc is classed as a scooter so legally you would need a CBT as minimum covering you on 125cc or a full motorcycle licence that will cover you on any other type of motorcycle above 125cc.

Wishing them a speedy recovery either way ????????????

OK.  so let them keep the passports.  Go to the embassy and say you lost your passport, get a temporary travel home passport document and leave?  Or will they physically bar and block them at the hospital door from leaving?  Still, a couple can't come up with 6k of money?  Can't ask friends or family?  No savings?  No credit card cash advance?  getting pretty amazed at the low level of finances so many travelers seem to have, or at least claim so. 

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

I doubt the British insurer would of paid 6000 pound for stitches..

No but some medications, doctor's time, cat scan or MRI or x-rays for sure, hospital over night stays..  it adds up even if not necessarily severe.  Some broken toes since they were probably wearing those fine motorcycle riding safety shoes known as Flip Flops!

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Because that's a choice she has!

Probably still Ms Harrison because she used her existing passport prior to being married?  Probably did not change the passport yet between the time of getting married and going on the honeymoon, same for driver license?

They would have been covered if they had payed extra on their insurance for riding a bike. But that costs extra, same as if you were going to go scub diving or partake in some kick boxing. I'm getting really tired of all these freeloaders who do not bother to check if they are insured for their activities. If I can do it. they can do it!

15 hours ago, webfact said:

The new policy, which will reportedly cost just 20 baht for 30 days cover is expected to be rolled out before the end of the year.

Great!.... That means those of us who are retired in this country may expect to get coverage for 240 Bt. per annum?

Archived